Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint - what types  (Read 2959 times)

davejo90

Paint - what types
« on: November 08, 2020, 05:26:43 pm »

Hi all,

Athough I'm not ready yet, at some stage I will need to paint the narrowboat. I know what colours I'm going to use but what type of paint would you all suggest? Most boats are a glossy finish so that's what I would go for.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Paint - what types
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 10:29:17 pm »

Hi just replied to your pm.

Stan

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 11:15:59 am »

I'm frustrated with paints at the moment - the quality seems to have gone through the floor - even Humbrol model paints are just rubbish.      They either won't mix up properly or don't apply or cover properly.      Acrylics seem to be more at home on paper and absorbent materials and spray paints that should work together suddenly bubble up and peel.       

For that reason - I couldn't advise anyone on paint any more.    {:-{

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 01:15:25 pm »

All I would say is remember scale gloss don't look that good on model even if you put a small amount of semi gloss into the mix  when you put on a varnish but as Plastic has said lots of the paints I grew up with are now crap most made over-seas.
           Regards Howard.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 01:35:48 pm »

I have had no trouble with the good old Halfords rattle cans (apart from the price - a big boat seems to eat up paint!).  The grey primer followed by several coats of your chosen colour has been pretty reliable for me.  And you get a very large choice of colours.  My only issues have been when I didn't prepare properly.  So rub down, wipe clean, wipe clean again, keep your greasy fingers off the surface, shake the can thoroughly, then give it another minute, and only spray when the temperature is mild and there's little wind.  I am sorry to say that November isn't the ideal time to spray!

Greg

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 02:04:34 pm »

HI Guys please do not shot the messenger. But I your feel comments on paints to be a little harsh if you feel some are c==p then let the manufacturer know. I have used Humbrol /Tamiya/Revell to name a few with no problems at all. Paints only give best results with good preparation and how you apply them. The question asked was what paint to use for his narrow boat the replies back did not help at all.

Stan

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 03:35:41 pm »

Hi when it is cold it is a good idea to keep the item being painted at least warm, otherwise the spray hits the cold surface and you can get an orange peel effect.
Roy

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 04:15:11 pm »

Sorry Stan,
 I meant Humbrol more the other are rubbish now there made in China am lucky I still have a full set of the old Engish made Humbrol   but as some say I use Halfords rattle cans for the big bits and then Ronseal varnish Satin or Matt I never think gloss looks good on a model boat but again that my view not others.
                    Regards Howard.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 04:17:55 pm »

Hi Howard, I agree just a sheen for the really polished boats and satin/matte for the rest.
Roy

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 04:29:06 pm »

On the question of finish. You need to think what the water is like were you sail.
If it muddy the Matt is more likly to stain than gloss were you can give a quick wipe to the hull.
John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 05:18:34 pm »

I meant Humbrol more the other are rubbish now there made in China am lucky I still have a full set of the old Engish made Humbrol   

Humbrol moved paint production back to the UK in 2012 due to quality problems in China. The enamel tins now have a Union Jack on them and 'Made in the UK' printed on them. However there are still reports of variable quality on internet forums. This could be to do with EU regulations which forbid certain chemicals and stipulate reduced volatiles.

A lot of modern paints are less effective than their predecessors as so much now has to be water based.

Colin

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 05:44:29 pm »

HI Davejo90 I have included the link to the repair of my old fishing boat just in case you have deleted it.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62785.msg663171.html#msg663171

davejo90

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 06:17:40 pm »

HI Davejo90 I have included the link to the repair of my old fishing boat just in case you have deleted it.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Thanks again Stan

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62785.msg663171.html#msg663171

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 06:32:57 pm »

........................ This could be to do with EU regulations which forbid certain chemicals and stipulate reduced volatiles.

Colin

Please lets not have a bash the EU topic.

The reality is that this is an international problem as anyone who follows the US forums will know. Global warming fears & greenhouse gas problems have doomed certain chemicals - including many of the traditional chemicals that evaporate allowing paints and some adhesives to dry.

Some of the worst problems are with white solvent based paints that now tend to go yellow very quickly (including house paints).

There must be answers or the water based paint would fall off your car but I am not sure what they are nor if they could safely be used at home.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 06:54:05 pm »

I wasn't 'bashing' the EU but until now we are have been part of that regulatory regime. Obviously it is a trade off between environmental safety and effectiveness. I don't suppose anyone wants to go back to the old lead based paints however effective they were.

Same applies to cars. Cellulose paints were much harder and more effective than the paints used today but more environmentally unfriendly.

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 02:16:33 pm »

Same applies to cars. Cellulose paints were much harder and more effective than the paints used today but more environmentally unfriendly.

ColinNot my experience, modern 2k paints much tougher and rarely if ever need polishing.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 02:56:58 pm »

............ and the car body repair trade won't want to mess around & certainly wouldn't  buy a product that was going to give them problems.

Do we still have anybody in the car body repair business here who would care to comment?

Quantities might well be the problem.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 03:06:25 pm »

ColinNot my experience, modern 2k paints much tougher and rarely if ever need polishing.

You may be right there but I have found that in recent years the finish tends to chip a lot more easily. Maybe it's just thinner? I have been driving Mazdas and owners have commented on how thin the paint seems to be.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.