Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Returning after 40 years  (Read 1726 times)

Dunkel

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Returning after 40 years
« on: November 21, 2020, 12:19:08 pm »

Hello,

Back when I was in short trousers in the 1970s my father would build model boats and sail them in Marine Park South Shields. I now realise what a talent he had as he never worked from plans but built some really beautiful looking models. I went along with his modelling hobby, starting with Airfix wkits, progressing onto rubber powered balsa and tissue aircraft and even having a good bash at the fairly simple Leander Class Frigate from Bob Symes' Model World series.
Then as happens with most lads, I worked out what girls and beer are for, and the pots of Humbrol paint got left behind. University followed and a career as a mechanical design engineer, something that followed directly from my dad's influence. He continued to tinker with modelling up until his death in 1998. Sadly I wasn't around on the day my mother and younger brother cleared out his workshop and all his models and tools were taken to the tip, something I really never forgave them for.

OK, so that was a long back story, sorry.

Yesterday I took delivery of the Occre Ulises kit as the spirit of my dad has been washing around for a while. The construction and detailing of the model is something I should take in my stride after my childhood grounding and over thirty years working as an Engineer, but it is the planking that is new to me and is the learning challenge I am looking forward to embracing.

I have spent the last couple of days trawling this forum and have picked up a few pointers already, and I promise to use the search function before asking any obvious newbie questions that you have replied to many times before.

Jim

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Returning after 40 years
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 12:43:53 pm »

Hello Jim and welcome from all.  Are you intending to motorise (perhaps RC) your tug build or is it to be a display only model ? How you tackle the plank on frame build will be dependant on this to a degree.  If it is likely to get it's bottom wet you will need to resin coat the hull planking inside before fitting the deck ..

cheers B
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Dunkel

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 01:16:44 pm »

Hi Baldrick. Yes it will be RC, the Occre plans detail sealing the hull, and I will be stopping and checking posts and videos at every stage. As I said above, it's about learning, I think my long term goal is to build a Thai Squid Fishing Boat, the idea of sailing a boat with festoons of green LEDs at dusk really appeals. Anyway, I have to get many skills under my belt before getting there.

Question: how many posts do I have to submit before not needing to answer the verification questions?

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 02:06:58 pm »

Question: how many posts do I have to submit before not needing to answer the verification questions?

Gawd knows , when I started on here so long ago there was no such thing as verification questions
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 03:26:49 pm »

Welcome to the madhouse.  %%    I think you have to post 5 times to get rid of the I'm a human check. Good luck with your build.
Don't Assume Check

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 03:31:11 pm »

Hi Jim welcome to the forum  :-))   You'll get loads of help around here.  The best part is you can build model boats and still drink beer and see girls......well if the wife allows you too  {-) %%

Dunkel

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 03:56:12 pm »

Thank you all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.