Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Designing in CAD- help  (Read 1872 times)

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Designing in CAD- help
« on: November 21, 2020, 10:58:10 pm »

Hello Everyone

Let me start by saying I to am a model boat enthusiast my interest in model boats is in vintage hydroplanes kneelers, from the 1950 and 60's. For a while know I have wanted to build a scale model of one but unfortunately with not much to go on in scale kits to these designs, I am after, how difficult is it to work from an existing model kit to re design modify a bit to get close to what you are after in design. I did find one that is the basic design. I have no prayer experience with working in Cad programs like Fusion 360 but am interested how difficult is it to work with Cad and do design work to create your own model to build does it take years of experience or if you have a model to work from is it not to difficult to do?
Any help would be appreciated

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Designing in CAD- help
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 07:07:44 am »

the only way to learn is like any new software, give it a try and lots of practice, there are plenty of online tutorials out there. even as an ex CAD manager I am still learning new things when it comes to CAD on a daily basis. the important thing is to not just play around drawing lines, have a definite goal in mind and learn how to do the bits you want, at some point you will want to push it further than your knowlegde, so learn that and carry on. its quite a steep learning curve, but after over 40 years in the trade, I am as i say still learning. once you crack the basics and can get lines where you want them, you will be fine.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 10:14:22 am »

Dillinger 04,
               An alternative approach to learning CAD might be to find an existing "Model" plan which can be modified to meet your needs with a pencil and rule.

Glynn Guest

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 05:29:38 pm »

Hello

Thank you for the information and words of encouragement appreciated. Cad and alternative pencil to paper as an option, unfortunately I was not able to purchase the plans separately from the kit he design for scale a set of paper construction plans do come with the kit though. While on the topic of the old ways of build or original way for build pencil to paper, I do have a set of model ship curves but they do not have the right curve desired to make the appropriate curves ? front sponson etc are there other tools I am not sure on making semi complex curves? wonder what they used back then for accuracy. This is why I thought of learning CAD so as to get the right curve for the sponsons and skeleton frame work, ribs which do require some level of accuracy. I will attach a pic or two one of the boat from the kit the other are designs kind of like it in the desing I am after . Any more help would be appreciated

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
Scale model design help from original plans
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 07:42:51 pm »

Hello everyone

Does anyone know of anyone on the web that does any design work perhaps an engineer, who designs rc boats on the side . I have two sets of plans from a real 1960's cabover hydroplane design, the original was done in drafting lines, along with the original plans I have CAD plans which someone generously gave me to use for own personal use, however the CAD plans are a modified version or the original design. I am looking to build a scale model as close to the original design as possible turn the drafting line designed plans in to a vector file to have a laser or CNC custom wood kit cut . Any help would be greatly appreciated .

RST

Re: Scale model design help from original plans
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 02:02:59 am »

Hi, did you not post this question already, one thread down in the list in same forum section from here?

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65965.0.html

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 05:22:51 pm »

Hello RST

I see you are interested in my projects No let me explain so perhaps less confusion here. The plans I have are for a cabover hydro the one in the pic of the kit boat I posted is a kneeler not a cabover design. Although I have been wanting to do a scale model of the cabover hydro from the engineered drafting lines, I have with aid of the CAD files to help build the original design. I have not found anyone to help with this project yet. So in the meantime I thought it might be fun to re design the kit boat utilizing the parts from the kit, to build one that resemble one from either of the two images above. The one called Whoops or the one in the black and white image last photo.  The scale design kit boat is based off a very simple design so I wanted to do something more with the design . Again just an idea I had to try to do in the meantime, while waiting for my scale project of the cabover hydro this is why a tried to start two posts
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.