Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planet T5 Rx antenna missing  (Read 3400 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Planet T5 Rx antenna missing
« on: November 22, 2020, 07:18:39 pm »

Planet T5 Rx antenna missing is it very difficult to replace.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Planet T5 Rx antenna missing
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 10:29:13 pm »

No, not difficult, just a bit of small scale soldering.  Do you have another Rx to see where to solder the wire to? Just cut a piece of insulated wire to the length of the antenna and solder on to the circuit board.  The innards slide out of the plastic cover quite easily.
If you need a picture let me know and I will get one and post it here (but not tonight!).

Greg

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 09:33:26 am »

Hi, jay use a fine point soldering tip there are two soldering connections close together, do not bridge them
it will make the Rex fail.

John

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 10:32:01 am »

Thanks Greg and John afraid soldering  beyond my scope though a Pic would be appreciated might find a workaround. 21st century and nobody  has come up with a superglue to replace solder.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 12:43:16 pm »

Well, taking a piccie of that particular soldered joint was harder than I thought! Anyway, here is the aerial junction.  To be honest, if you don't want to have a go at soldering it, I think you're going to have to throw it away, so having a go won't lose you anything.  As you say, nobody has yet invented a conducting superglue.

Barney Magrew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 09:04:40 am »

Have a look on Google, you can indeed buy a conductive glue.  I have one but bought it a while ago and can't remember where I bought it.

davejo90

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 09:58:29 am »

Have a look at this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conductive-Wire-Glue-Paint-Soldering/dp/B00SRIITQ4

There are various comments about it but apparently it does work to a degree

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 10:38:02 am »

That certainly looks interesting, although it appears to rely on an additional layer of superglue to physically hold the joint together.  It also needs careful application, just like solder, to prevent bridging to other conductors. But perhaps worth a try if the price isn't an issue.

Greg

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 10:49:33 am »

Hi Jaymac, I'll urge you to learn to solder. Rightly or wrongly I've always regarded it as a basic skill for modellers, and for so many other things as well. It's not difficult, kids can do it as can old people like me. I can't imagine how I could have made my models and the installations without soldering.
Charles

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 04:41:34 pm »

Hi Jaymac, I'll urge you to learn to solder. Rightly or wrongly I've always regarded it as a basic skill for modellers, and for so many other things as well. It's not difficult, kids can do it as can old people like me. I can't imagine how I could have made my models and the installations without soldering.
Charles
Plus several.  Being able to solder opens so many doors in a hobby that involves wires, not only for fixing broken wires, but for creating metal parts.
Conducting glues - from what I have heard, they do not perform very well as glues. On top of that, their conductivity is not wonderful either, unless the blob of glue has bridged two points that should not be in contact.
In SailorGreg's picture, the bit you don't see is the sleeve connection, which is probably hiding under the end of the cable.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 05:51:01 pm »

As Malcom says, any glue connection is likely to be unreliable. Not what you want in your power supply to the aerial which is essentail for the control of the model and it's range.

Colin

CaptainJoshie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I’d rather be Boating
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 06:21:27 pm »

Just out of curiosity is it a short ‘normal’ single piece of insulated copper multi core cable? Or is it a coaxial type cable? Can’t tell from the photo.

If your unhappy with soldering, could you take it to a local club, ham radio, model maker or TV repair shop.

If you were closer I’d be happy to do it for you, before retiring I used to do component level repairs to computers!

Don’t try the conductive ’paints’, I’ve had experience with them and they aren’t that easy or good to use! Easier to learn soldering!

John.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 07:21:42 pm »

Thanks to all for their input The existing glues I would not trust as for soldering tis more  a case of my fingers won't let me than can't and thanks for the offer John.  Just thought I'd ask in case it was just a matter of sticking the wire in a hole
Thanks again

CaptainJoshie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I’d rather be Boating
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 07:33:26 pm »

Just another thought, you could post it to me and include a stamped return envelope. I could then solder on a new aerial and send it back to you no cost  :-)) .

Should only take a few minutes.

I can PM you my address if you want to do this.

John

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 10:27:01 pm »

Hi John 
             Very kind of you will try and sort out some Envelopes and be in touch
Regards

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 09:00:33 am »

Just out of curiosity is it a short ‘normal’ single piece of insulated copper multi core cable? Or is it a coaxial type cable? Can’t tell from the photo.

It is a very thin coax, rated for 50 ohms impedance.  Getting a suitable length might be a problem.  A typical model setup will want a few inches.  It gets sold, typically, in 50 metre coils.  Rather more than enough for a lot of practice goes.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 12:34:57 pm »

You can buy an antenna for other makes and fit one to your Planet. As an example
https://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-receiver-antenna
This comes with a plug fitted to the receiver end but that is easily removed and the wire can be soldered in place. Remember it is coax so both the center and the screen have to be soldered to the board.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 01:40:48 pm »

It is a very thin coax, rated for 50 ohms impedance. 
Is it? I replaced one of mine with a simple piece of wire and it seems to work just fine.  And if I look at the end of a genuine Planet aerial through a magnifying glass, it looks to me like a single core wire.  If it is coax, how does the signal pass the outer braid and reach the conductor?  It's not as if this is an aerial remote from the circuit board, that is the whole aerial, surely it needs to be exposed to RF?

(I am amazed that picture came out as well as it did!)

Greg

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 08:10:34 pm »

Any 2.4 GHz receiver aerials I have seen are coax and around 3cm of the end has had  the screen removed bareing the inner wire and insulation. The remaining coax is just an extension and doesn't receive any signal. If simple insulated wire is used it would have to be 3cm long or a multiple to suit the wavelength of the signal.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

CaptainJoshie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I’d rather be Boating
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 08:48:37 pm »

Hi

malcommfray I’ve sent you a PM, happy do the soldering.

Thanks to everyone for suggesting what cable to use.

This is really useful, especially the length. When I did modelling it was with 27Mhz and the length of aerials was somewhat longer {-) . Since my return to model boats I do now use Flysky 2.4Mhz kit so will compare the aerial cable on that.

John

CaptainJoshie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I’d rather be Boating
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 08:39:28 am »

Hi

malcommfray I’ve sent you a PM,

John

Sorry  {:-{  , [size=78%]that should be “jaymac I’ve sent you a PM”[/size]

John.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2020, 08:42:04 am »

No worries :-))

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 01:25:53 pm »

Hi

This is really useful, especially the length. When I did modelling it was with 27Mhz and the length of aerials was somewhat longer {-) . Since my return to model boats I do now use Flysky 2.4Mhz kit so will compare the aerial cable on that.

John
You may find some difference in the aerial ends. Some receivers just use the exposed coax end and some have an addition before the bared end. These are supposed to improve the signal reception by the receiver and give better range.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 10:07:29 am »

27 and 40 MHz aerial are just a single wire.  A few 2G4 aerials are as well, and can be recognised by only being about 30mm long.  Both these cases, the entire wire is the aerial.
Most 2G4 aerial wire are a length of coax cable with the end 30mm having the shield removed.  The rest of it is there to let you place the radio where you would prefer it, and at the same time, the useful bit of the aerial where you need it.  The outer sheath is normally connected to the receivers ground plane.
I've not had one, so am relying on hearsay, but I read that the T5 is not a "full range" radio.  This might well involve the receiver aerial being just a simple length of wire 30-something mm long.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 23 queries.