Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Precedent 31. 1/11 scale 34" long Fibre Glass Hull. Forty quids worth!  (Read 8521 times)

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
Re: Precedent 31. 1/11 scale 34" long Fibre Glass Hull. Forty quids worth!
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2020, 10:21:27 pm »

Fingers crossed it isn't as bad a job as you think it will be Bob.
You'll be on a roll once it does come apart though  :D
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2020, 11:07:11 pm »

Good job you sold the NTL-600 Bob as I did have thoughts on asking how much you wanted for it!

With me it was one boat out and two in including your Scott Free! Though the two together are smaller than the Huntsman 47"! There are a couple of rooms in the house where there isn't a boat!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2020, 09:46:58 am »

I started to take apart some of the pre-glued cabin assembly last night.......not the best result !

The liteply is very weak and was quite happy to fall apart. This was especially tricky where the cab sides met the front and rear window screens where the glue was clogged very thickly in the corners.

The two halves of the cabin tops came away reasonably well, but I think the best thing I can do is to make a copy of the parts by drawing around them on the customary cereal packet cardboard before I loose any of the shapes as the wood falls apart.

This is bit too late for the rear screen (!) so I will be patching the pieces together today to make a card template from them.

One thing that I have noticed is just how big the front and rear cab windows are when compared with the Swordsmans front screen.  The occupants inside must have had more vision from inside a Huntsman than they would have had if they were inside the cabin of a Swordsman.

I am already thinking about changing the cab sides to those of the open cockpit type, but I don't know what cab options were made available on the Huntsman 31 hull - but I bet somebody on here does  %)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2020, 02:15:00 pm »

Voila!

Only two versions, the more common aft cabin and the Sport version designed primarily for racing. The full cockpit/Sport version looks very similar to the Spearfish so you can tick 2 boxes!

Chris

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2020, 03:03:38 pm »

Here are a couple of shots showing the interior of the cockpit. The deck by the transom is obscured but is only narrow, about 12" and follows the line of the transom.

I don't have a finished plan view as I stopped drawing when I decided to change to the aft cabin version but it's pretty simple and the coamings follow the same line as the aft cabin. So you could quite easily modify the deck piece by cutting back the area by the transom. Every time I see that side view I kinda wished I hadn't changed as it is a great looking boat, but I have too many open cockpit Faireys.

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2020, 03:37:23 pm »

See, now I love Faireys, but to me, the aft cockpit version a much prettier boat than the aft cabin version. It doesn't look so bulky and heavy either.

I'm not sure what Huntsman plans I have, but I will check if any of them are of the aft cockpit version if you'd like me to Bob?

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2020, 03:38:30 pm »

Just remembered that I do have a shot of the transom before I converted from Sport to aft cabin. I was going to do it as a complete lift-off superstructure but it will be easier if the coamings are fixed and you use access hatches and you can make the coamings thinner as well as per the full-sized boat.

Hope this helps.

Apart from a very small scale version yours would be the first that I know about, so pretty unique! You know you want too!

Chris

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2020, 03:42:11 pm »

See, now I love Faireys, but to me, the aft cockpit version a much prettier boat than the aft cabin version. It doesn't look so bulky and heavy either.

I'm not sure what Huntsman plans I have, but I will check if any of them are of the aft cockpit version if you'd like me to Bob?

Will

That's it Will rub it in! Maybe I'll build another hull in the future.

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2020, 03:46:56 pm »

That's it Will rub it in! Maybe I'll build another hull in the future.

Chris

That wasn't the intension Chris, just personal preference.
The same applies to the Swordsman over the Super Swordsman.

Ultimately, I like all of the Fairey boats.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2020, 03:50:00 pm »

It's alright, I was only joking!

I've got another Fairey in the pipeline that you might not like!!

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2020, 03:53:33 pm »

Is that the Fisherman you briefly mentioned Chris?

Good news you are able to get things apart Bob, even if the wood isn't as strong any longer, at least you now have the option of doing something about it.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2020, 05:01:01 pm »

Here are a couple of shots showing the interior of the cockpit. The deck by the transom is obscured but is only narrow, about 12" and follows the line of the transom.

I don't have a finished plan view as I stopped drawing when I decided to change to the aft cabin version but it's pretty simple and the coamings follow the same line as the aft cabin. So you could quite easily modify the deck piece by cutting back the area by the transom. Every time I see that side view I kinda wished I hadn't changed as it is a great looking boat, but I have too many open cockpit Faireys.

Chris

As I was taking the superstructure apart the rear window frame "exploded" - and a split second later I was thinking about the fast-back, and thanks to ChrisF,  I now know that this is known as the Sport.

The Sport certainly has a nice profile, and if I draw around the cabin sides as I remove them, I will try to free-hand draw the shape of the fast back and see if I can make it look as nice as the drawing Chris has made.

If I can get the shape right, I think I will rebuild my Huntsman 31 as a Sport.

My guess is that the deck width over the transom will be just over an inch wide on a 1/11 scale and with the pictures we now have on this thread I should be able to work the rest out as I go!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2020, 05:12:57 pm »

Chris

I don't think I will be using any of the kit wood Chris as it is not at all good, and I am thinking about making the cabin as a integral part of the boat with access via a lift-off cabin top, and if I do this I will piece the deck together around the superstructure (in the same way as the Swordsman).

This would give improved weather protection by keeping any "deck wash" water out of the hull, and I always think it looks neater by not having a joint between the deck top and the underside of the cabin - even with a perfectly made (but seldom seen) fit between the two.

I think a lift-off cabin top will give me enough room to get my big hands into if I ever want to change the motor, and the LiPo cells will be housed under cockpit floor which will also be a lift-out , so I will take a good look at it and see if I can make it work.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2020, 05:16:29 pm »

Will

Thanks Will - and you are absolutely right - the aft cockpit version is a much prettier boat   O0

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2020, 05:18:12 pm »

Ooh, this is getting an even more interesting project now.

As the aft cockpit/Sport version of the H31 is what I was intending to attempt myself, your thread has just got even more interesting Bob

49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2020, 05:18:57 pm »

Apart from a very small scale version yours would be the first that I know about, so pretty unique!        You know you want too!

Chris

You could be right!  :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2020, 05:37:54 pm »

Shots of one of the recently refurbished race boats, note the adjustable trim tabs, and an earlier shot of it at speed. Fabulous looking boat.

Chris

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2020, 05:47:36 pm »

I don't think I will be using any of the kit wood Chris as it is not at all good, and I am thinking about making the cabin as a integral part of the boat with access via a lift-off cabin top, and if I do this I will piece the deck together around the superstructure (in the same way as the Swordsman).

This would give improved weather protection by keeping any "deck wash" water out of the hull, and I always think it looks neater by not having a joint between the deck top and the underside of the cabin - even with a perfectly made (but seldom seen) fit between the two.

I think a lift-off cabin top will give me enough room to get my big hands into if I ever want to change the motor, and the LiPo cells will be housed under cockpit floor which will also be a lift-out , so I will take a good look at it and see if I can make it work.

Hi Bob

I did it with the Huntsman 28 as that is a smaller hull for access but doubt I will be doing it again for the reasons you have given, well apart from the current builds!  %)

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2020, 06:22:35 pm »

Shots of one of the recently refurbished race boats, note the adjustable trim tabs, and an earlier shot of it at speed. Fabulous looking boat.

Chris

That looks superb Chris!

I will base my rebuild on that one - how could I possibly rebuild it any other way  -  what a stunner!

It looks like the cabin sides go right to the back of the boat - so I will need to slightly lengthen the ones that I have taken off of this kit built superstructure when I draw
[size=78%]around them.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%].....and is that an aerofoil wing on the [/size][/size]too of the rear deck ?[size=78%]

Thanks for the pictures!

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2020, 07:26:06 pm »

Sorry - I don't know what happened to the text size in my last contribution to this thread - but the site will not allow me to correct it - so I hope you can read it OK.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2020, 07:41:31 pm »

Hi Bob

That happens with the text sometimes.

Sorry but the photos are only low resolution. The piece at the rear of the deck is just an upstand that runs round the inside of the deck and butts up to the coamings and forms a backrest where seats are fitted.

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2020, 10:49:08 pm »

I have seen some pictures online of the inside of a glass fibre hull like this one,  and it has a pair of parallel splines running from bow to stern with cross members and bulkheads to fit inside the g/f hull.

This looks like a good idea and the edges of my hull are a little wobbly so with an obechie strip running along the inside edge to straight the wobbles and some bulkheads and or cross members  to push the moulding out so that it is symmetrical I should get a good straight hull to build onto.

Old glass fibre hulls with unsupported sides like this one are bound to be a bit twisted - they may have even been like that when they were new.

OK - so thats the first thing for me to so -  get the hull sides wobble free and straight.........while I work out a suitable shape for the Sport cabin sides.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2020, 11:37:19 pm »

Yes, I seem to remember Harry saying that the Spearfish hull, which is basically the same, benefits from fore to aft timbers being fitted.

Chris

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2020, 12:42:02 am »

Came across this site when Googling which is a new business. Very interesting and the boats look very expensive!

https://www.faireymarine.com/huntsman-31-aft-cockpit

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2020, 08:07:21 am »

Came across this site when Googling which is a new business. Very interesting and the boats look very expensive!

https://www.faireymarine.com/huntsman-31-aft-cockpit

Chris

I dread to think what sort of area the prices are in.
As soon as a boat has the Fairey name to it, the price seems to double.

Absolutely gorgeous though.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.