Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Precedent 31. 1/11 scale 34" long Fibre Glass Hull. Forty quids worth!  (Read 8524 times)

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
Re: Precedent 31. 1/11 scale 34" long Fibre Glass Hull. Forty quids worth!
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2020, 10:08:46 am »

Hi Lads

Yes, when I did some work on my mates Spearfish.

I added two 10mm stringers inside the Mark 1 hull because of drumming at speed.

This fix the problem and was the mounting for the 4S 5800mah Lipo Battery.

He replaced the old rudder with a stainless steel one because it kept on bending.

Dam thing turns on a penny and goes like a bat out of hell !!!!

It runs a 3648-1450kv with a 2 blade 40mm prop and a 120A ESC.

Harry

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2020, 10:36:52 am »

I dread to think what sort of area the prices are in.
As soon as a boat has the Fairey name to it, the price seems to double.

Absolutely gorgeous though.

Will

Yes, the original Faireys were expensive though and cost more than my parents house which was quite a big and expensive one. You can pick up a nice Huntress for around £30k. to £40k. now so cheaper than a nice car. Upkeep is expensive though.

They are doing a similar thing to those companies that build updated versions of Jaguar E-Types etc.

Pity they don't do a Huntress as I'd have one!   %)

Morning Harry, was hoping you would confirm that.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2020, 11:49:19 am »

Yes, the original Faireys were expensive though and cost more than my parents house which was quite a big and expensive one. You can pick up a nice Huntress for around £30k. to £40k. now so cheaper than a nice car. Upkeep is expensive though.

They are doing a similar thing to those companies that build updated versions of Jaguar E-Types etc.

Pity they don't do a Huntress as I'd have one!   %)

Morning Harry, was hoping you would confirm that.

Chris

There's quite a nice looking Huntress on ebay at the moment, unless it's finished. £23k I think it is/was.

49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2020, 02:17:31 pm »

Nice. A few years ago I would have been interested as we had somewhere to moor it.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2020, 04:27:59 pm »

I have finally managed to separate the sides of the cabin from the grip of the hot melt !

Where the hot melt had been built-up in the corners the only way was to cut through it with my razor saw. As the saw started to cut through the thick layers of hot-melt it started to smell like melted hot melt, so any small doubts that I may have had about the type of adhesive used largely disappeared as soon as I smelt it.

The dried-on blobs of hot melt that had obviously been dripped at random over different parts of the assembled super-structure gave me a false sense of optimism as they did not have such a firm grip as the areas where the intended  joints had been made.

I have drawn around the two cabin sides and averaged-out the differences between them (!) and than drawn around the rear cabin of my Swordsman cabin sides in the hope that Fairey used a similar line on the rear of the Huntsman Sport - but it does not look right, so I am going to focus on getting the internal hull frames installed first so I can get a better idea of where the cab sides need to end before cutting any wood.

Sadly I have not been able to locate a plan for this 34" version of the Huntsman 31, but I am still hopeful of finding one to refer to and take some measurements from it to help locate the superstructure, rudder and prop shaft etc in the right place.

I have also found out that the building instructions that came in the glass fibre version of both sizes of the Precedent kit are the same!  This should have doubled my chances of finding a copy - so I am still hopeful of finding one to read.  I can work it out and make my own frames etc, but it would be nice to see how Precedent intended the hull to be fitted-out.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2020, 06:35:51 pm »

Belated Frames

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2020, 09:50:27 am »

The instructions.....but ONLY the cover :embarrassed:

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2020, 10:22:09 am »

The instructions.....but ONLY the cover :embarrassed:

I bet there are a lot of these building instructions for the glass fibre hulled Precedent Huntsman (both sizes) that are of no use to anyone once the model has been completed,

Sadly, most will have been thrown away (possibly with the plans too!).

If anyone has one of these little building guides and/or a plan for the g/f hulled Precedent Huntsman that they would be prepared to part with, please contact me if you would like to sell them as I would find either of them very helpful - and the plans would help me to reconstruct some of the missing parts and see where the rudder and prop shaft should be positioned  - without having to go "free-style" :-))

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2020, 10:28:59 am »

Hi Zooma

Did I not send you that info. as I have it all on PDF ????

Harry

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2020, 10:32:31 am »

Hi Zooma

Did I not send you that info. as I have it all on PDF ????

Harry

Thanks Harry,

I have just received a copy of the Balsacraft building instructions from you and printed them.

These instructions cover the 34" and the 46 1/2" wood and fibre glass hull versions and I have never seen these before.

I will still try to find a printed copy of the plans (if I can) as that would still be helpful as the instructions refer to part numbers and diagrams that are drawn on the plan, but the construction sequence is good to read and is very interesting and helpful.

Thanks for sending me the info!

Bob.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2020, 07:45:53 pm »

Let me get this straight....are you looking for a full instruction pack from the precedent Huntsmankit?

I’ve got a set on PDF I did for another Mayhemmer.....happy to send if you’d like a copy.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2020, 09:41:57 pm »

Let me get this straight....are you looking for a full instruction pack from the precedent Huntsmankit?

I’ve got a set on PDF I did for another Mayhemmer.....happy to send if you’d like a copy.

Basically - YES - I would like to have a full instruction pack from a Precedent Huntsman kit.

Being an old fashion non-computer literate old codger I would prefer a printed paper copy - BUT - I do not have any plans for the 34" Precedent Huntsman 31 so I would be very pleased to have a PDF as it will let me see some of the details that I would find helpful.

Thank you for your offer.

Bob.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2020, 09:51:09 pm »

Hi Bob,
Pm me an email address and I’ll send you a copy of the instruction pack from my FG hulled kit, I know the file is too large to send  via the Mayhem mail facility.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2020, 10:06:16 pm »

Hi Bob,
Pm me an email address and I’ll send you a copy of the instruction pack from my FG hulled kit, I know the file is too large to send  via the Mayhem mail facility.

Have done - thanks  :-))

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2020, 10:26:37 pm »

PDF sent.....let me know you've rec'd it okay.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2020, 10:09:25 am »

PDF sent.....let me know you've rec'd it okay.

Hi Phil,

I received the PDF and printed all 12 pages this morning - thank you very much!

These instructions are from the Anglia Models kit and show the different parts and identify them so they are really helpful and they also compliment the 3 page Balsacraft Precedent building instructions that Harry sent me very well.

I now have all the information I need to build my 34" glass fibre Huntsman without a plan.

My guess is that the Precedent instructions were intended for use with the kit plan, but the Anglia Models illustrated building instructions would allow the construction without the use of a set of plans.

As I still don't have a copy of the plans, the Anglia Models illustrations are a great help as the part numbers are included in the illustrations.

Many thanks!

Bob.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2020, 10:50:28 am »

Glad to hear you’ve rec’d them.

Be nice to see pictures of the completed model, good luck with it.

Regards.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2020, 02:20:26 pm »

Glad to hear you’ve rec’d them.

Be nice to see pictures of the completed model, good luck with it.

Regards.

Thanks Phil,

I have now seen on page 7 of the comprehensive build guidance notes that you sent to me the following statement:-

"Further note that since redesigning the Huntsman Kit, both wood and glass, a full size plan is no longer necessary and is not provided. The positioning of parts that would otherwise have needed a plan for guidance is covered by interlocking parts using slots and tabs, making assembly easier and error free"

This explains that plans were not included in these kits - at least since Anglia Models started making them - and is why the building instructions have been expanded over 12 pages as they include a lot more construction notes and several "exploded" drawings to show how the parts fit at the different stages of assembly.

I have to admit that this would work very well when you have nice new cut parts to work with and does answer most of the questions that I had regarding assembling the kit as per the manufacturers intended sequence.

Bob.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2020, 03:26:12 pm »

Hi Bob

Yours was certainly a bargain as that other one that had the prop shaft and engine mounts fitted went for £97. Anyone on here?

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2020, 04:03:43 pm »

Hi Bob

Yours was certainly a bargain as that other one that had the prop shaft and engine months fitted went for £97. Anyone on here?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes I am very pleased with my purchase, but to be fair the one that has just been sold on eBay was well worth the extra £57 as the superstructure had not been assembled - although I do know that the kit did not include the windscreen or any plans (I did ask!) and there could well be some other parts missing too!

I also noticed that it has a rudder and a prop shaft that was already bonded into the hull.

My hot-melt impregnated superstructure did not come apart at all well  - and is why I am still looking for a copy of the plans so I will be able to make the new replacement parts.  The earlier plans would not show the inter-linking tabs and slots - but that would be fine as I will be cutting mine from 4mm birch plywood and I could fit them without the interlocks.

Hope your builds are coming along well - my Swordsman builds have come to a stop for the time being while I try to sort-out the information I need to complete this pre-started kit.

I did not realise that this Precedent kit had been "re-kitted" sometime between the various known manufacturers of it.

At some stage the early 3 page instructions that Harry kindly sent to me by email would have been accompanied by a full size plan and this would have given me all the information that I needed.

Fortunately Phil noticed my plight and came to the rescue with the later 12 page build guide that included the drawings to identify the parts by number and to show the interlock assemblies that allowed the modified kit to be built without a plan.

My kit is stranded between the two types as the interlocking slots and tabs on the superstructure have been lost as the parts "exploded" when I tried to get them apart. I think the heat from the hot melt and the use of liteply did not go well together.  I suspect the wood had been embrittled by the heat and when combined with its likely age it fractured even as I gently tried to cut through the blobs of hot melt with a sharp razor saw!

...........hence the reason that despite all the very helpful information that I have been given (all of which have been gratefully received) I still need to find a copy of the 34" Huntsman 31 plans to enable me to make templates for the cab sides and ends and internal bulkheads and roof spars along with the internal cockpit "capsule"parts that were also "lost".

The good news is that the plywood roof panels came off cleanly enough to make new patterns from - so it is a shame I don't need them as I will be wrapping a single piece of 1/16 ply roof panel across the front and rear cab sections instead  %)

Keep smiling!

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2020, 07:13:36 pm »

I have now made a stand to fit this glass fibre hull so I can return the one that I "liberated" back to my Swordsman.

The Swordsman has a fairly constant deep V hull compared to this Huntsman that has a hull form that reduces the V shape as it becomes more shallow towards the stern - and this became a lot more obvious when the Swordsman stand did not fit the rear end of the Huntsman hull anything like as well as it did the front end (which was quite passable).

Now I have a firm base to work on I can make some progress on fixing a rudder and a shaft (when they arrive from MBB!) but until then I can "glass-in" the bulkhead and hull spacers that I have temporarily held in place with a few spots of super-glue while the wobbly edges of the hull have straightened themselves out.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2020, 08:00:34 pm »

Taking a look at the front screen of the 34" Precedent Huntsman, I have to say that I don't think it looks quite "right" when compared with pictures of the real power boat.

The model has quite a high "dome" shape to the top of the front cabin window and this continues along the roof line.

A look at the kit's front cabin window shape looks OK along the bottom and sides, but the top line curves upwards to make a dome shape that I do not see on any full size pictures of the Huntsman 31.

The Nexus plans for the Huntsman 31 and it's shape of the front screen looks a lot better and is more realistic looking, so I can base my new 34" Huntsman front cabin screen on this......and what I can see on photo's of real Huntsman 31 power boats.

I have to make a new front window screen for my model in any case so I will change this part rather than just copy it again.

The Aerokits Swordsman front screen looks a lot more realistic and more like the real Swordsman power boat so I am not sure what went wrong with the Huntsman kit shape, but it wont be too difficult to improve it along with the cabin roof curvature.

As I plan to make the cabin tops removable,  I should be able to do this at the same time.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2020, 10:22:48 pm »

Hi Bob

Funnily enough I've been drawing up the front window and have made sure that the top of the window is low enough and of a gentler enough curve that it looks right. The dome that you mention is caused by using ply sheet that doesn't like being bent in two directions. I use strip wood to avoid that and give a nicel smooth curve. Some models don't look right because the front window hasn't been angled back enough and therefore has the top too high and sharply curved. The angle should be about 45 degrees. 

I've also been working on the cabin/cockpit sides for the Sport but am having to redraw them to lower the roof at the front  to match the Modav drawings which then has a knockon effect with the cabin side windows that have to be altered as well

Chris.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2020, 10:26:30 pm »

Hi Chris,

I think that will be a massive improvement to the weakest area of the 34" Precedent Huntsman 31.

Well done!

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2020, 08:22:49 pm »

A full size printed copy of the Modav Huntsman 31 plans arrived in the post today - thanks to a very generous Fairey Marine enthusiast.

Along with some side elevation drawings of the Huntsman Sport,  I have plenty to get stuck into the next time I take a break from building my 1/12 scale Swordsman (from a copy of the original Aerokits plan).

I might just need to buy some more wood before the Christmas holidays!

Bob.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.