Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Coventry D118 Type 42 destroyer - 1/96 3D printed  (Read 9297 times)

DamienB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: HMS Coventry D118 Type 42 destroyer - 1/96 3D printed
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2021, 04:16:24 pm »

So yeah, I designed the main superstructure in 3D and got on with printing it - in 9 big chunks! To avoid that resin-piling-up issue all parts are printed with the top surface on the build plate, so any additional detail bits to go on the decks will be added later.

Altogether it broke down into 9 major chunks, with 2 additional parts to make up the torpedo deck extensions, seen here all stuck together.

LAS sponsons, more bits to tack on to the superstructure. These sit underneath the SCOT domes and stick out to give the LAS operators a clearer view fore and aft.

Torpedo deck extensions. Ironically the photos of Coventry rolling over before sinking provided the basis for the underside detail I put in here. The circular bit is where the STWS mount is attached to the deck above.

DamienB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2021, 04:20:50 pm »

Coventry, as with all 42s, was powered by 4 gas turbines - two Rolls Royce Olympus and two Rolls Royce Tyne. These could be operated in various combinations to drive the two prop shafts. They were hungry for air, and on the batch 1 ships this was the design for the intake block.

The intake grids came out pretty well - they'll look good under a coat of paint.

Then I revisited the forward life raft shelves to cut them down to the 3-raft fit Coventry ended up with. There were 5 originally but they were found to be capable of holding more men than expected, so to reduce top weight, first 2 rafts each side were removed, then the empty mounts were cut off in a refit.

Life raft shelves and LAS sponsons in place...

And after much sanding and gluing and a visit to the spray booth, she's really beginning to look the business. Various parts just positioned roughly for the photo - much more to do!

DamienB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2021, 04:30:55 pm »

Next up... ship's boats! Again I'd got hold of some resin Sirmar items but I wasn't wildly impressed with them, and frankly by this point I'm planning on 3D printing the whole ship bar the hull anyway. These were tricky to design based on limited information, but thankfully I found enough photos of each boat to make a fair stab at them all. I purposely didn't use the Sirmar items as any sort of baseline but it was interesting to compare them afterwards.

Gemini RIB, the ship's runabout:

Bosun dinghy. These were for recreational use, stable but heavy. Famously tough boats, Coventry's one was dislodged from the stowage as the ship rolled over, and washed ashore some days after the sinking. Still exists - though sadly it's just derelict outside somebody's house on Pebble Island.

Cheverton motor launch. The "Chevvy" was used for getting crew ashore in larger numbers if needed. I split this into two parts for printing - the lower hull and the upper bodywork. Sadly the resulting hull is a bit heavy so it doesn't float!

Motor whaler. This, the Chevvy and their associated davits were removed from all 42s after the Falklands war, to make room for Phalanx CIWS. Larger more capable RIBs took their place. This printed in one part, again a bit heavy, but it just about floats...

...and the finished items:

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2021, 01:13:05 pm »

You have yourself the chunky end of a superstructure and detail set for a Type 42 Ship model there Damien. It looks excellent, and If I were looking to build one I would at least order the fittings and weapons.

The project is coming along great.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bill W

• Shipmate
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2022, 03:36:17 pm »

Hi Damien.
Only just found this thread. Some fantastic work and looks great!
I bought a “completed” 1/96 Type 42 many years ago, with a view to to tidying it up but life got in the way and it has spent far too long on shelf waiting for some attention. Hoping I may have some time this year to get working on it. I would be really interested in a set of superstructure prints if you can be persuaded!
Looking forward to seeing more progress on HMS Coventry.
Cheers.
Bill.

poshcarl

• Shipmate
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2022, 08:14:17 pm »

Hi Damien, your build is coming on great. Like others have said your 3D products are really good, have you decided if you would make sets for other modellers. If so  have you a price you had in mind, maybe you you could PM me.  Thanks Carl
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.