Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Looking For a New Mobile Phone  (Read 960 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Help with Looking For a New Mobile Phone
« on: November 26, 2020, 10:56:59 am »

I am older and seem to have endless problems with touch screen smart mobiles. When I go on the internet for help it always seems to give it for a version of the operating system that I don't have and tells me to do things that just don't appear on my mobile screen! I have a Google Moto E on Lollipop.

I also am disgusted by the fact that the security update life on most Android mobiles is 2 years or less and so slow (out of date) as to be largely pointless. They are designed to be thrown away after 18 months. I don't use my mobile from one month to the next but then suddenly need it for something important before it is put away again in case the car breaks down.

I want a phone that will be secure for a reasonable length of time, will accept e ticketing apps (& let the ticket be read), q codes etc, and is cheap.

But for the ticketing apps and q code requirement a £10 budget payg mobile is perfect. I don't regard any iphone as cheap!

Help please.

PS I now know how my parent felt when asked to programme a VCR. They were so delighted with Videoplus numbers!!!

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Help with Looking For a New Mobile Phone
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 01:10:42 pm »

As far as short life is concerned I recently replaced my Android phone after around 6 years. The main reason for this was that the battery life was constantly decreasing, sometimes going flat overnight when it would originally last for a couple of days without charging. (WiFi is always on in the house) As its battery can't be replaced without opening the case it was not practical to keep it going.  It's replacement now uses about 25% of it's charge daily for the same amount of use. When chosing the replacement one factor I did look at was battery size. I won't give any recommendation as I don't know what price range you are looking at. I also just stick with  a pay as you go sim and won't have a fixed contract phone. I was willing to pay a bit more than most to buy the phone (Samsung Galaxy S20) as it came with the latest android version and should last for at least the 6 years the last one did.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 01:30:22 pm »

Thanks JimG

I don't doubt that the phone will last for 6 years but you are most unlikely to get more than one operating system update and then no more security updates after around 2 years. Would you happily use a computer that hadn't had any security update for 4 years (the bit between 2 & 6 years old)?

This is important as I am using the phone to buy tickets etc where payment details are involved. A VPN service doesn't fully solve the problem.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 02:33:09 pm »

Just for a laugh, my phone died yesterday - for maximum inconvenience - it's a 10 year old HTC 620 Desire on Android.     It reports 97% charged but won't stay on - I've done a load of diagnostics including forcing it on, factory reset and making 2-hour videos with the light on to drain the battery out - got down to 10% so it looked promising - tried charging - just as before.  Dead.
I only use it for very occasional calls, some necessary texts and for keeping photos on.

My wife and daughter did the research and have just bought me a Motorola E6 plus - unfortunately, my ancient old sim is too physically big for it so I'm now waiting for a new iddy-biddy sim to arrive to port my old number across.

RST

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 03:33:24 pm »

I've had 3 HTC smartphones and they have been the best phones I ever had. Tried a few others and can't get HTC anywhere now.

I do agree after 2 years it's not the phone that's duff, it's the dwindling software support.  But I'm old fashioned and have no "apps", never use phone for anything linked with purchases, banking or emails.  I always print my travel tickets.

When my current OnePlus starts playing up I'm digging out my old HTC to see if it still works OK. I'm loathed by current choice on the market and my OnePlus software is always riddled with bugs so reluctant for another OnePlus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.