Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member here.  (Read 1390 times)

John Foreman

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New member here.
« on: November 30, 2020, 11:36:45 am »

Hello all,
I am a new member here but have been model boat building as long as I can remember. I am the chairman of the Oxford Model Boat Club and have just put up a post about them.
I have an attic full of unfinished models but am now trying (unsuccessfully) to try and resist taking anything new on. I have one model that is working but unfinished that I use on our lake. It is an electric powered Steam torpedo boat that was built for the US navy. Mine is just about all CAD and 3d printed. My oldest ongoing project is based on a Dean Marine Majestic and is HMS Victorious. I bought a set of drawing from Greenwich, that show all the fiddly bits not, or incorrectly, show on the Dean model that I have slowly been correcting. My Victorious is steam powered. I have also bought one of the metal Seekadett steam boats that I am converting to RC. All miniature radio, servo battery and 3d printed to get it in a small boat keeping the weight down. I also have a Puffer, Thames barge and Titanic that have all floated but require finishing. I will post some pictures of the models once I have sorted out how to do it. Lock down has not been a problem for me!

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New member here.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 01:01:56 pm »

Welcome John looking forward to seeing your boats, especially the SeeKadett, such glorious lines. Which version of the SeeKadett do you have?

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 05:16:18 pm »

Welcome! Please post about your steam boats, always interested to see new ones.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 12:45:24 pm »

Indeed, welcome to the forum and we look forward to some pictures. I have a model of HMS Canopus 1899 to 1/96 scale and is also steam powered. You are not alone!!  :-)

Cheers

Geoff

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 03:19:26 pm »

Welcome

I too have a Deans Marine Majestic class battleship but mine is called Prince George. I bought the NMM plans too and went a little to far with the detailing so hopefully I’ve got it out my system for super super detailing and just for conventional detailing when I restart the model over Christmas! Mine is normal electric motor powered but does have a smoke generator to make that all important steam/smoke cloud!
I’m based at Brize Norton so I may travel up the A40 for a visit on a Thursday afternoon when I’m working nights. I’m a member of Wicksteed Park MBC and you’d be more than welcome to sail with us at the Mayhem at Wicksteed weekend which hopefully will happens in 2021, hopefully we can get a squadron of pre-Dreadnoughts sailing together again. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

John Foreman

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 10:19:54 pm »

Sorry for the tardy reply to your interest in my first post.
The Seakadet is the single cylinder one. They were available as a kit of alloy parts that were bonded  together. Mine was previously built incorrectly with misaligned parts and some in backwards. Solvents and heat got it appart and cleaned up. The paintwork was bad so that went. The origonal had no provision for any control other than you set the rudder and gas burner and engine speed. You either run or have a mate the other side of the water. The radio control is finished but I have to make the rudder linkage.
Geoff, we have met at Child Beale years ago. You have always made good ships that inspired and made me ashamed my Victorious is not done.
I have a resin 3d printer and learned CAD so now can make accurate parts. I have had a plastic printer for a few years and made a complete Victorian TB that looks and performs well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.