Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Complete. Newbie  (Read 2698 times)

Paul1

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Complete. Newbie
« on: November 03, 2020, 04:41:15 pm »

Hi I’ve always fancied building a RC boat so I’m going to do it ,I’m looking at the Aeronaut classic sport boat ,having never done this before any advice on paints,glue,varnish,tools etc and what RC components to use to keep it simple or any other information on boat /build would be appreciated
Thank Paul

davejo90

Re: Complete. Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 04:44:42 pm »

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. I hope you have great fun with all your builds  :-))

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 05:16:27 pm »

Hi Paul, Have you bought the Kit yet? as you need to know if there is a speed limit on the Pond that you intend to sail on, maybe join a Club is a good start.

Enjoy Sailing.

Len.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 06:22:38 pm »

Welcome to the great hobby of model boats, and the source of all wisdom that is Mayhem!

The Aeronaut Classic sounds like a great place to start.  As it already includes a prop shaft and propeller, the additional hardware you need will be a motor, a speed controller, a steering servo and a battery.  I guess you will also need a radio transmitter and receiver - if it was me, I would probably get one of the cheap sets such as this.  It will let you see if you are going to get deeper into this hobby without taking out a mortgage.  As for the motor etc, you will probably get a range of views here, but you could call one of the major suppliers, such as Cornwall Model Boats or Howes and ask what they recommend.  Both will also sell you the kit, so you might even get a good deal if you buy the complete set from the same source.

The kit says it also includes glue, so that should be sorted, but a decent aliphatic glue is what you should have handy in case you run out of the kit stuff, along with masking tape and clothes pegs for holding parts together as the glue dries.  You will also probably need some filler.  Even the best of us seem to end up with the occasional gap or blemish that needs attention.  As this is mostly a varnished hull, I suggest you get hold of some decent mahogany filler from the local hardware shop - or online if the lockdown stops you getting to the shops.  Lots of abrasive paper in various grades, then  a good varnish - I have used Ronseal Yacht Varnish to good effect, but you do need a lot of coats to approach that deep, lustrous gloss we associate with mahogany boats.  For painting under the waterline, if you choose to do this, a can of Halfords spray paint in any colour you choose will do just fine. 

Good luck, and enjoy the build.  If you run into problems, the Mayhem collective will sort you out!

Greg

Paul1

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 07:49:28 pm »

Thanks for replying,as Sailor Greg says I’m just looking for a basic RC set up to make it as simple as possible and hopefully progress from there,I’ve not joined a club yet but will be looking into it,I’ve spoke to Sussex models they say about £180 for a full setup ,I’ll speak to them tomorrow for a break down as I was out when they called
Thanks Paul

Paul1

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 02:25:54 pm »

Hi just started to build my first ever boat a aeronaut classic,I got the model and a starter RC outfit from Cornwall models included in kit was a large bottle of super glue ,should I use the white glue included in kit or the super glue ,if using white glue how long does it take to set ,if everyone has any advice on building this boat feel free to comment
Thanks Paul

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 03:36:37 pm »

Either will probably do the job for you.  I have built models using predominantly superglue, which certainly does the job.  However, you do need to be sure that you are getting the piece in excatly the right place, because once it's stuck, it's stuck!  And it happens quite quickly.  On the other hand the white glue will allow some adjustment after you bring the pieces together but it needs the parts holding together while it sets, probably an hour or two to be safe, or overnight if the joint is under any strain.  A good compromise is to use the white glue for larger pieces where you feel there is going to be some shuffling around to get it in the right place, then tape/clamp/tie the piece in place.  Superglue for the smaller pieces where you know you can put it in just the right place and hold it there for 20 or 30 seconds.  If you feel adventurous, you can combine them, using the white glue for most of a joint but with dabs of superglue at each end of the joint to hold the piece in place and remove the need for clamps.

I am talking above about wood to wood joints.  If you are gluing plastic to wood, or any other dissimilar materials, I would use the superglue.

Greg

Paul1

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 04:06:28 pm »

Hi thanks for that it makes sense I’ve done some in white glue but I’ll but some super glue on just to be safe
Thanks Paul

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 07:33:58 pm »

HI Paul See my build which may help you with your build.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) .

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55460.25.html

Paul1

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 08:18:10 pm »

Thank you very helpful take care Paul

Paul1

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 05:02:04 pm »

Hi I’ve part built my aeronaut classic ,instructions say to sanding seal the whole boat mahogany and ply hull I’ve seen some builds where they have only done the ply hull and varnished the mahogany I’m wanting to water test before I go any further any advice would be appreciated
Thanks Paul

Drethe

• Shipmate
Newbie wondering if a FPV camera would work on a boat?
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 10:57:08 am »

Hey all looking to get into RC boats, currently have a drone and was thinking what it would be like to have a FPV camera on the boat? May have to be heavy to reduce the up and down motion?

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 01:43:50 pm »

Paul,You can varnish over the sanding sealer. I would give the boat several sealing coats before I put it in the water.
Don't Assume Check

Paul1

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 04:13:34 pm »

Thank you I’ll do that
Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.