Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rimu for Planking. Good idea?  (Read 2056 times)

Mr P NZ

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Rimu for Planking. Good idea?
« on: December 02, 2020, 05:52:53 pm »

Hi All
I'm doing my first scratch build of Al Khubar II and am looking at using Rimu for planking as I can get my paws on a good amount of it. I've searched the site but see no mention of it. Has any one used it before? I can machine it down so that's not a problem. I'm an ex ships joiner by trade so have a few clues. The woodwork side of things doesn't bother me but am totally clueless with the electrics as of yet. When I figure out how to up load photos I will do so. Look forward to what you good folk have to say. Hello from New Zealand. Cheers
Glenn

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rimu for Planking. Good idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 06:20:03 pm »

I think that Rimu is Huon pine that is used in boat building?  Wood doesn’t always scale down due to the grain being well oversized. If your going to paint the hull I would rip a few planks off and see how it bends to shape. If it doesn’t split and bends relatively easily I reckon that it would be okay. Have an experiment and see how you get on

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 11:34:44 pm »

'NZ Wood' advice
"Because some woodworkers are susceptible to dust irritation in the nose and throat when machining and sanding rimu, it is recommended that a mask is always worn when this type of work is being undertaken"

Mr P NZ

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 05:24:45 am »

Thanks guys both good advice. Yes Rimu dust is hard on the eyes and throat I remember it well from my apprenticeship days. Cheers <:(

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 09:35:54 am »

Hi as I have never heard of Rimu wood I looked it up on the Internet.  It is apparently carcinogenic if inhaled into the lungs.  But recommended for spears and canoes!!!.
All the best
Roy

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 10:46:59 am »

have never heard of Rimu wood
About half of all furniture  in NZ is rimu. Nice wood and finishes well. Cut your decking strips to size and experiment with samples first before you commit

davejo90

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 11:55:04 am »

I have never heard of it either until reading it on here. Then on 'Grand Designs New Zealand' this week they were tearing down an old house and reused the old shelves etc that were rimu.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 02:52:26 pm »

The woodwork side of things doesn't bother me but am totally clueless with the electrics as of yet.

You may well already be on top of this, but is will pay to work out the electric side of things before you get too far with the planking.  Simple jobs like fitting and aligning motor bearers and battery trays are straightforwrad when you can get at the innards from all directions, but can be a little more frustrating trying to work inside a completed hull.  And if you want to include any clever features (lights, sound system, smoke generator, etc) then knowing how big and what shape they are is pretty important to fit everything neatly inside. 

Out of interest, what scale are you building to?

Greg

Mr P NZ

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 06:09:59 pm »

The scale is 1:24. I see the kits that do this model are 1:36 if I remember correctly.
Another question to the learned is how do you upload a photo on this site?
Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.