Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aerokits Sea Queen  (Read 3026 times)

Eddie W

• Shipmate
Aerokits Sea Queen
« on: May 30, 2019, 07:50:03 pm »

I've just picked up an original Aerokits Sea Queen that is in very good condition. The original I/C engine has been taken out. I am looking to replace it with a brushless set up. Anyone got any suggestions for motor and esc? Once I've worked out how to resize photos, I'll post some pictures.

Eddie W

• Shipmate
Re: Aerokits Sea Queen
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 09:16:12 pm »

Photos.

shadysadie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 07:52:50 pm »

If you research "Aeronaut Sea Queen Going Brushless" 28th.Mar. 2018 you will find a considerable amount of information on this subject.

Personally, I am using a Turnigy L5055C brushless outrunner rated at 700Kv and 1600Watts and this gives very good performance on 4s lipos .

You pays you money and..................!

Buck White

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 12:00:28 pm »

The Turnigy L5055C 700Kv 1600 W brushless motor is no longer listed by Hobby King. Other motors size 5055 or 5065 do not pull as much power, the nearest being the 5055 430 KV that has max 1750W power, but using 8 lipos, ie. 29.6 volts !
I am trying to select a brushless motor set-up myself at the moment and finding it very difficult to select the motor and ESC. I am thinking of 4S,but would consider more.  The problem is, the more S the more expensive everything is, and I am mindful that my charger will take max 6S.
So, does anyone have any suggestions please ?

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 06:30:05 pm »

Overlander do a 5055 580kv which should give decent performance on 4 or 5S.

Leopard Hobby have a 5055 650kv and more power but it's finding one in stock - Component Shop for example have shown it as Sold Out for sometime now.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 10:03:56 pm »

I have a tatty Sea Queen that I picked-up as a restoration project earlier this year that was running on a Tornado 850 brushed motor.

Until I have time to do a re-fit, I am tempted to run it with the 850, but I have bought a Turnigy 4030-880KV to power it with after the refit is completed.

This is a 600 series "helicopter" motor that should perform really well in the Sea Queen as I know others have used it in the 47" Huntsman and have been very pleased with it.

Hope this helps,

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 09:41:48 am »

I should have mentioned that there is quite a large choice of 600 size helicopter motors to choose from as there were a lot of different 600 size helicopters made that used this  size of motor, and there was also a large variety of "option" motors made available from third party manufacturers such as Hacker, Hobby King and RJX etc.

It was not unusual to fit different motors into your helicopter to try to gain some extra performance or just to find an affordable replacement following a heavy crash (!) so when all of the different makers original motors and the third party types are taken into account there are a lot to choose from, and all of them needed to be a very similar size to fit into the "tight" space of the various air frames.

This is good news as they are remarkably powerful and can be ideal for powering a large size model boat such as the Sea Queen.

Buck White

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 11:44:35 am »

Thanks chaps. I have not been able to trace any of the motors mentioned by you.  Are any currently available, and where ?

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 11:53:25 am »

This is the Turnigy 600 motor I have bought to fit in my Sea Queen:-

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-t600-brushless-outrunner-for-600-heli-880kv.html?queryID=c008cd464225d7f768a3763bc195183c&objectID=18629&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

It is still available and is in stock!

They also have this less expensive alternative 600 motor, it is currently out of stock but you can tick the "alert" button and they will send you an email when it is back in stock:-

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-600-series-1220kv-brushless-outrunner-helicopter-motor.html?queryID=3d8229db06043596b2846b248d0cf29a&objectID=46170&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

You can also look at any of the 600 class helicopter makers ( Align, Thunder Tigre etc) spares to see how much their replacement motors cost.

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 04:44:39 pm »

I just got an email from Hobby King this afternoon to let me know that this motor is now available again from stock !

This is the same size 600 helicopter motor as the Tunigy 4030-880KV that I bought - but for half the price!

This is quite a lot of motor for £29.28P

://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-600-series-1220kv-brushless-outrunner-helicopter-motor.html?wrh_pdp=3?utm_source=magentotriggers&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=backinstock

Buck White

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 11:43:34 am »

Thanks Bob - I'll give them a try.  :-)
Buck

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 07:40:01 pm »

I was looking on YouTube for some info about the Sea Rover for Will when he first bought his restoration project boat,  and one of the videos started to show a video about a large size Sea Queen......but it was called Sea Rover!

Confusing?  I thought so, until the builder explained that his Sea Rover (which was in fact a Sea Queen) was a model of the actual boat that won an off-shore powerboat race in 1960 or 1961.

The real name of this surprise off-shore winning boat was "Sea Rover".

When Aerokits had this same off-shore winning powerboat boat in their range - why was it called Sea Queen? - and not Sea Rover?

I can only assume that they already had a boat called Sea Rover in their range, and rather than changing the name they left the model already called Sea Rover unchanged - but named their model of the full size Sea Rover - Sea Queen.

There is a possibly that this YouTube item was made before 12 midday on April 1st - but if this info is correct  - it is an interesting story  O0

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 07:39:22 am »

Hi
How about the brushless motor of 2200KV ,1200W value by which I have been enjoying my 99cm cabin cruiser Jupiter F-99,
which had been originally powered OS 60 2stroke 1.5HP nitro engine.
I do not know what size of IC engine once was set in the Aerokits Sea Queen...
Please see the video below of my Jupiter F-99 with 2200 KV brushless motor with 3S 5000mAh lipo for your reference.
Very powerful even on the winter rough water.
taka's model boat **Mr SKG's JUPITER 2 - YouTube
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.