Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plastic to wood  (Read 1388 times)

coastie

• Full Mayhemer
Plastic to wood
« on: December 04, 2020, 12:49:37 pm »

Hi guys what glue do you use to stick plastic card to plywood was thinking of araldite but all I can get is 5 minute goriila epoxyThanksCoastie

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Plastic to wood
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 01:40:05 pm »

I use Araldite or superglue.  It depends on the size of the joint.  If it's just gluing a little piece of card to wood (or vice versa) I use thick superglue.  For larger jobs - large pieces of superstructure, bulwarks and so on - I tend to the Araldite (although I expect most 2 part epoxies will work) which allows a bit more time to get everything in exactly the right place.  Clean and roughen the plastic first.

Greg

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 02:09:16 pm »

I get my glues on ebay- delivered to your door. I like JB weld epoxy as it sands nicely. Araldite always seems to remain a bit rubbery, which is good for some things but not others. The slower setting epoxies are much stonger than quicker cure types, but if the bond is over a large area, you'll still have lots of strength.

coastie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 05:18:54 pm »

Thanks Guys I`m going to stick chequer plate plastic card to a ply deckCoastie

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 12:44:17 pm »

Okay, now for that application I would suggest superglue but do be aware there can be difficulties independent of what glue you use due to differential heat expansion in the sun which can cause the deck to ripple.

Its actually quite tricky. I have used for plating, ordinary evostick  if the plastic is not too thin the solvent has no effect, and you really only need to spread it on one surface and put down but as above for a deck with a greater exposure to sun light there could be problems down the years!

Cheers

Geoff

davejo90

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 01:30:15 pm »

Depending on the job at hand most of my build has been with Gorilla Clear Glue, it gives you plenty of time to move/reposition and is set firm and around an hour depending on temperature. It sets very hard too.

It's here at B&Q

or Toolstation has got it 10% off at 6.92 for the same size

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 01:56:27 pm »

Just find your nearest stockists of Everbuild  Stixall. I gave up on epoxy and superglue years ago for this type of operation.

Stan.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 04:19:01 pm »

Hello I agree with Stan after Stan told me about stixall I used it to glue 1inch ali square bar to ply wood and card and will use it again instead of epoxy,
 I do also like the clear gorilla glue to it don't foam up like the yellow stuff.
              Regards Howard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.