Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aluminium again?  (Read 1656 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Aluminium again?
« on: December 11, 2020, 10:39:33 am »

I've been looking through the previous threads on adhesive for aluminium and they all seem to stem from 2013/4.Have there been any developments since then or are the d/s tape/rubberised superglue/Master gun glue still the way to go?I've got to stick ali to plastic for a wraparound screen frame in this case.
Thanks
Tony

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Aluminium again?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 12:20:21 pm »

There are epoxies designed for sticking aluminium to other materials. This one is intended for sticking aluminium honeycomb to laminates such as glass fibre or carbon fibre, would probably also work with clear plastics. It is more expensive and works best with a mixing gun can can be used by hand mixing. It is also thixotrophic so doesn't run.https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/honeycomb-bonding-epoxy-adhesiveI have used it for various surfaces from aluminium honeycomb to aluminuim extrusion, wood to wood and metal and wood to fibreglass with great success.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 01:08:31 pm »

Thanks Jim,

It looks the business indeed!
CheersTony

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 02:18:44 pm »

If the screen is relatively small, it could be effective to use silver Trimline tape to simulate the frame by sticking on both sides and then painting the top edge with silver or chrome paint.

Colin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 03:08:55 pm »

Hi Colin,
The plan is to use 3 laminates, ali, clear plastic and then .5mm plasticard. Inner (Ali) one is as attached after cutting with piercing saw. See attached.
The other attachments show the real thing.
You will see that the colour is the most obvious element so options can be a tad limited.
Cheers
Tony

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 03:44:24 pm »

That's very neat Tony. Presumably all the laminations are thin enough to bend together without slipping?

As always, the killer in making windscreens and windows is in not getting glue residue on the plastic or using something which 'blooms' the transparency. Looking at your photo it would seem that you could use 1mm or 2mm Tamiya masking tape (standard or curveable versions) within the frames to protect the 'glass' when sticking together.

I think we'd be very interested to see how you get on.

Colin

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 03:54:41 pm »

If you try your local car paint factors they sell a glue which bonds aluminium and steel panels onto cars.  Its very runny when applied but goes off as if the parts are welded together.

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 06:24:50 pm »

That's very neat Tony. Presumably all the laminations are thin enough to bend together without slipping?

As always, the killer in making windscreens and windows is in not getting glue residue on the plastic or using something which 'blooms' the transparency. Looking at your photo it would seem that you could use 1mm or 2mm Tamiya masking tape (standard or curveable versions) within the frames to protect the 'glass' when sticking together.

I think we'd be very interested to see how you get on.

Colin
What i have done in the past is cover the plastic windscreen in selotape then put the outer frame onto the plastic draw the outline of the windows onto the selotape and carefully and lightly score through the selotape then remove the selotape from the frame outline leaving the windows covered in the selotape, once all glued together you then remove the tape from the windows
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 07:15:56 pm »

In answer to your question Colin,
The 1.2mm Ali frame in the pic will be bent and clamped round the profile I made to define the shape/size initially. The two side flaps fit into slots in the hull.
0.5mm plasticard backed with thin card can be curved and clamped round the outer face and the cutouts trimmed back. The card compensates for the fizzy water bottle clear plastic.
This is then removed.The inner face of the Ali and the outer face of the plasticard are sprayed including topcoat.Assemble with clear plastic piece in the middle of the sandwich, clamp together and then trim outer edges once done. Paint edge and touch up odds 'n sods.
Sounds good in theory dunnit!

To be honest Gary, I think your method is more elegant but I'm very wary about how light a touch on the selotape I can make!
 :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 07:37:24 pm »

Sounds like you've thought it through very well Tony so it should work fine. I've always found this sort of thing very challenging.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.