Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale  (Read 122119 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Marks "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale
« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2021, 03:54:33 pm »

Hi All

I've made a start on the counter timbers and I'm back to following Adrian Sorolla's excellent book.  He suggests making a jig which involves making another although less intricate wing transom and an angle plate to set the timbers.  Once the assembly is complete it is then transferred to the ship.

So I set out to make this jig which is actually a bit more tricky than he lets on.  Not only do you have to obviously set the exact angle there is a curvature in the stern too.  I think the pictures explain this far better than my words but the jig took many hours to make compared to the hour it took to make the counter timbers.

So having made the jig I next made the four counter timbers which were by now quite easy for me to make.  The results are below and I just hope that they are right.  Next up is to make the quarterdeck beam to begin to tie the counter timbers together.

Cheers Mark

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2021, 08:11:04 pm »

You have the patience of a saint!

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2021, 03:06:28 am »

Not wrong there Steve  O0 :-)) .
Brian  B

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2021, 09:31:48 pm »

Hiya Mark, I've just been doing a catch up with your build (from reply #214) and I'm astounded at what you have achieved!

Unfortunately, for me, I've been unable to do any form of modelling but I haven't given up - I'm just in limbo for now.

Anyway, I'm loving what you're doing and will be looking in from here on in...

Cheers mate,

Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2021, 08:33:09 am »

You have the patience of a saint!

Not wrong there Steve  O0 :-)) .

Thanks lads but honestly I haven't I just really enjoy the challenge  :-))

Hiya Mark, I've just been doing a catch up with your build (from reply #214) and I'm astounded at what you have achieved!

Unfortunately, for me, I've been unable to do any form of modelling but I haven't given up - I'm just in limbo for now.

Anyway, I'm loving what you're doing and will be looking in from here on in...

Cheers mate,

Ray.

Thanks Ray and great to hear from you and you'll be back modelling soon enough  O0

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: December 12, 2021, 03:32:03 pm »

Hi All

I've now made the quarter deck beam.  There is no separate drawing for this part so the templates are made from 3 different views of the same piece number 13.

I think its gone ok but time will tell - A few photo's below

Cheers Mark

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2021, 03:39:00 pm »

Impeccable workmanship as usual. Very impressed  :-))
Don't Assume Check

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: December 18, 2021, 03:24:38 pm »

Impeccable workmanship as usual. Very impressed  :-))

Thanks dougal99  :-))

I've had a bit more time on the ship and I've now made the counter timber extensions that run up to the taffrail.  They were quite easy to make and I like the little tenons at the top.  I don't expect these parts to last until the end of the build as they are bound to be snapped off by a loose sleeve  %%

Cheers Mark

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: December 19, 2021, 12:29:20 am »

That's real precision milling - roll your sleeves up Mark, keep them well clear of those timbers!

... coming along nicely mate  :-))

Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: December 22, 2021, 03:37:09 pm »

That's real precision milling - roll your sleeves up Mark, keep them well clear of those timbers!

... coming along nicely mate  :-))

Ray.

Thanks Ray and I will!!!

I've now made the taffrail filler pieces and the window frame surround timbers which has put enough strength into the assembly to remove it from the jig.

Then after making sure that I had it all lined up correctly I made a support for the assembly and fixed it onto the wing transom.  Its pinned with 0.5mm brass to stop it moving whilst the glue dried.

Unfortunately the screw that I used to fix it to the support decided to shear its head  >>:-(   So at some point I'll have to cut the support and try and remove it from the back of the taffrail filler - its not the end of the world  %%

Next tricky job is to make the dogs legs - Have a great Xmas everyone - Mark  :-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: December 28, 2021, 03:19:36 pm »

Hi All

To make the dogs legs I first made a practice piece that allowed me to iron out any problems.  From this I worked out how to cut the birds mouth joints at the correct angles and also how to lift the drawings onto the wood.  It was this interpretation that took the longest to actually get correct and get the right shape on the stern.

I then cut and sanded the pieces to shape

Next I pinned and glued them onto the wing transom and the results seem to be pretty good - Its symmetrical and straight which is always a good sign.

I now need to make the small but very awkward frames that complete the hull from the last stern frame all the way back to the dogs legs.  I've not yet faired the dogs legs as I'll wait until these frames are in so that I get a better line of sight.

Cheers Mark  :-))

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #236 on: December 28, 2021, 04:11:03 pm »

I don't expect these parts to last until the end of the build as they are bound to be snapped off by a loose sleeve  %%

Lovely miniature woodwork, as always.  Would it be worth constructing a temporary cage or arch, perhaps based on your support bracket, to protect the projecting timbers until you are ready to add some more structure there?

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: December 28, 2021, 05:14:08 pm »

Hi Greg and many thanks for your comment mate  :-))   I was thinking exactly what you we're thinking too!  I have already put the big "T" just behind the counter timbers for protection but I do think something else maybe required too.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: January 09, 2022, 02:04:03 pm »

Hi All

I've moved on a bit albeit very slowly.  Partly because I really have been struggling to make the next three parts but also because I'm getting over Coivd  >:-o

Anyway the problem I've been having has been correctly placing the pieces and keeping the dimensions of the hull correct.  I think I must have made these parts about 4/5 times now and had to cut them off completely twice.  The good news is I'm there now  :-))

The centre line of the hull which I have used to ensure accuracy of the hull dimensions

The three parts that I have found so difficult to get right.  1 - A half frame that is mounted on the front of the fashion piece.  2 - A wedged chock which is supposed to be made from one piece of wood but I had to make it from two in the end.  3 - The fashion piece extension

It all looks ok now and I just need to sand the parts on the starboard side to get these pieces finished.  They were a proper little trial but you wouldn't have thought so looking at the plans.

Cheers Mark

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale
« Reply #239 on: January 09, 2022, 05:36:43 pm »

Lovely work as usual. Full of envy admiration for you patience and skill (in no particular order).  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Don't Assume Check

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #240 on: January 09, 2022, 06:56:25 pm »

Cheers dougal99  :-)) :-))

The next job is to run 5 frames up each dog leg  :o   It's going to take some thinking about thats for sure.  I'll take my time and just try and get them as true as possible.  Once they are done the initial framing will be complete.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: January 11, 2022, 03:23:21 pm »

A few pictures of the 5 frames that I have now installed up the starboard dog leg.  These are just rough having just been glued in and they require fairing.

I milled a small recess in the last filler piece to pick up and support the quarter deck beam.  I just now need to repeat this on the port side

Mark  :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: January 13, 2022, 05:40:22 pm »

Hi All

Some more done - This time the port side has been completed and I've faired these frames on the inside too.

They are not difficult to make or install they are just time consuming due to the compound angles being different for each one.  I was very pleased the way the stern has turned out symmetrical.

And finally.....................Out of the jig to reveal the shape of the hull.  I cannot fair the outside of the hull yet as it still needs strengthening before this can be done.

Wow what a journey  %%   13 - 14 months just to make a ships frame!  Seeing it like this for the first time has really made me think that it was worth the effort.  Its not perfect by any means but it'll do for me for a first attempt.

The next job is to make and install the helm port which is the big chunk of wood the rudder post goes through on the way up to the helmsman.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #243 on: January 13, 2022, 07:45:01 pm »

Amazing work Mark, very high quality. I think we should be changing your name to Leo. ;) ;)
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2022, 07:53:56 pm »

Amazing work Mark, very high quality. I think we should be changing your name to Leo. ;) ;)
Jim

Thanks Jim  :-))   When I started out on this I thought that it would be a ship building challenge.  I was so wrong!  It has mainly turned into a technical drawing understanding challenge and a master class in carpentry!  I've actually made two of these ships but the other is in the bin  {-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2022, 04:09:39 pm »

Ok onto the helm port - I really enjoyed making this part of the ship which comprises of 3 parts.  Firstly I discovered that one of my counter timbers was not quite vertical so to correct this I milled a taper into the port leg of the helm port

I next cut out the other parts and glued and pinned them together.  I needed them to be very strong to withstand the forming of them.

Then I had to free hand mill the hole out of the centre

The helm port was then glued onto the hull and the hole was finished with a file.

So now I've got a way of getting the rudder onto the ship  %%   The next job is going to be very different for me now as the framing is pretty much done.  I now need to ensure that the inside of the hull is faired as exactly as possible as this maybe my last opportunity to get that part right.

I then hopefully will be able to mark out and make the main deck clamp (The huge timber that all of the deck beams sit on) which will give the hull some more strength too.  I can also strip down the building jig a bit so that I can get better access to the hull.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2022, 05:02:59 pm »

Simply amazing how your skill level keeps growing  :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2022, 05:17:17 pm »

Simply amazing how your skill level keeps growing  :-)

Hi Andy - cheers mate I'm not finding it as intimidating as I did when I first started.  One of the things that has changed a lot is my tools.  Every tool I seem to own now is carpentry related.  I also seem to be obsessed with how sharp the tools are - I hone my chisels probably once a fortnight now.  I need to get a life  {-)

BTW if you want the best honing tool ever try this one

http://richardkell.co.uk/honingECom.htm

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2022, 06:27:18 pm »

For my new hobby I just have a large variety of hammers  {-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2022, 06:30:01 pm »

I have found that a large variety of hammers suits most hobbies. Possibly not great for birdwatching, though.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.