Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale  (Read 122299 times)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale
« Reply #250 on: January 14, 2022, 06:53:49 pm »

In my yoof I studied Naval Architecture and General Ship Construction, helped make a brand new 27’ Whaler out of a wreck and built a model clinker built Launch. That said I haven’t recognised 90% of the parts of this model. You’re a star Mark, honest!

Jerry C.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #251 on: January 14, 2022, 07:03:22 pm »

Jerry - Hello mate  :-)   We are looking forward to you getting down our way this year  :-))

Now here's a confession - I didn't know what 95% of these parts were either until I started this build  {-)   Every day is a school day for me at the moment but I am enjoying it!!

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2022, 01:59:30 pm »

Ok I've got a bit more done  :-)

Firstly I sent a few more hours fairing the inside of the hull as it going to be planked out quite soon.  Next I took the measurements for the deck clamp and transferred them on the model.  I did this by modifying my height gauge which actually worked very well

Then as I'm sure that most of us have done at some point was to use a baton to join up the dots to get a solid line

Then the same on the other side to get a nice uniform line around the inside of the hull

So now the fun begins  %%   At this scale the deck clamp (the timber that all of the deck beams sit on) is 3.4mm x 9mm and I need to bend it around the bow.  The bow is far too fragile at this stage to take any heavy clamping so I need to preform it.  It is also a very harsh bend due to the Dutch style hawse timbers but I'll give it a go.

The other issue I need to solve is that the clamp is made up of 4 individual pieces which are joined using hooked scarph joints - another first for me but I do like a challenge.

Cheers Mark

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2022, 02:34:23 pm »

When you’re preforming the deck clamps, soak them in ammonia window cleaner in a length of hose with the end pugged. Leave 24 hours then form them and let them dry. That’s how I did the coaming on “Wear”.

Jerry C.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2022, 02:37:24 pm »

When you’re preforming the deck clamps, soak them in ammonia window cleaner in a length of hose with the end pugged. Leave 24 hours then form them and let them dry. That’s how I did the coaming on “Wear”.

Jerry C.

Thanks Jerry I've never used ammonia  - when you say leave them for 24hours is that with them clamped in place when wet - or before I try the bend?

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: January 16, 2022, 03:40:02 pm »

Soak for 24hours then clamp in position. Do both at the same time bit by bit from same end of hull so equal stress on each side of hull. You’ll find them very flexible. Leave clamped for 24 hours. When dry you can glue them in final position. It’s easier than steaming. The best wood to use is ash.

Jerry C.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: January 16, 2022, 03:47:19 pm »

Thanks Jerry I'll give it a go - mind you its boxwood all the way for me  {-)   I'll let you know how I get on

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2022, 11:40:18 am »

Piece of plastic drainpipe (underground type) blocked one end and a cap for tother, filled with ammonia/water mix, ideal soaking tank for sheet Balsa. They come out with a rubber like flexibility, form and clamp and allow to dry. Don't forget to add the eye of toad and tongue of newt. Seriously though, used this for years on toy aeroplane construction and results are eyeopening, especially with ammonia BUT do it outdoors. Mixture of choice was the outlet fluid from Diazo printers, ex D/O.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2022, 03:02:11 pm »

Jerry C.

What's the current brand of choice? The one I used to use is now "ammonia free"
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2022, 03:19:53 pm »

If it says it’s got ammonia in use that.

Jerry C.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2022, 05:00:57 pm »

I bought ammonia solution from our local Boots the chemist, it's lasted for years.
Don't Assume Check

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2022, 01:25:42 pm »

Thanks for the tips regarding the ammonia  :-))   I bought some 33% stuff off Ebay and then diluted it down with water.  I think I have enough ammonia to last a lifetime of wood bending now  %%

I made up the formers to the correct bend

The soaked wood bent around without any issues at all - This is 9mm x 3.4mm strips

The only issue at the moment is that the wood has changed colour quite a bit.  It may return to its natural colour when dry so I'll see what its like next weekend.  If its still looking green I'll try and bend some using heat but hopefully it will be okay.

Mark

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2022, 10:34:05 am »

Are these test pieces, as they are vertical, any bends due to the vertical nature of the piece would need shaping for a rake in the top to the bottom - don't know if you understand what I am on about,

formed as shown but as they go round the bend to follow the bend vertically the ends would lift to form the shape or are these pieces naturally flat and those below will 'twist to conform to the correct shape ?

oh and is the green skin deep of through the whole of the wood
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: January 24, 2022, 01:02:01 pm »

Yes these are test pieces as the formers are not yet there final shape. You are spot on about the rake or camber being required as otherwise they will not sit flat against the hawed timbers. The plan is to use these pieces to work out the rake and then apply it to the formers.

Unfortunately this morning the wood was still a green colour so I would say that it’s permanently stained. So the next set will be given the water and heat treatment and I’ll see how I get on with that.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2022, 03:15:45 pm »

Hi All

Some more done  :-)

Firstly the wood stayed a green colour so I had to try and bend the wood just using water and heat.  I also changed the former to incorporate the the frames camber and I also increased the curve due to spring back.  I'm glad to say that its turned out ok but I still need to bend the starboard side.

I have also made the third breast hook which it different to the other four hooks as the profile on this one is not flat.  Once I had worked out the machining sequence it was quite easy to make.  The deck clamps have a long notch cut into them which the breast hook sits in.  Here's a few pictures which explain it better than my words.

Cheers Mark  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2022, 07:18:59 pm »

Your attention to detail, coupled with practical ability, appears to be paying off Mark... great work mate  :-))

Ray.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: January 31, 2022, 09:24:46 pm »

This just gets better and better Mark...chapeau.....(French for hats off)  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: February 01, 2022, 04:49:08 am »

Thanks Ray and Phil  :-))   I’m really looking forward to getting into some of the more detailed work but still loads of structural work left first.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: February 13, 2022, 12:41:51 pm »

Hi All

Well what a challenge these 3 parts have been  <*<   I made and discarded 4 sets of deck clamps before settling on the ones that I used.  The combination of difficult bends which had to be recessed to accommodate the deck clamp all aligned correctly inside the hull..............wow!!!

Anyway I'm there now and quite happy with the result even though I did get a little damage doing it.  The port deck clamp went in ok but the starboard side cracked and I didn't notice until the next day when the clamps were removed. 

It was one of those times when I thought well its in exactly the correct position even if its not that pretty!  So I opened up the crack and placed a sliver of wood in as a repair.

The pair of deck clamps that I eventually used

The recess for the breast hook

My first ever hooked scarf joint

Pictures of all 3 parts finally glued in  :-))

I've now got to make the 6 remaining parts of the deck clamp which are all joined with hooked scarf joints.  Its a challenge but its a good one  :-))

Mark  :-)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2022, 08:31:44 pm »

Hi Mark, I don't think you couldn't have picked a more complicated vessel to construct, absolutely beautiful work mate, cheers :-)) .
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: February 17, 2022, 09:24:24 pm »

Thanks Brian  :-))   Have a look on Ancres website which is French. Would you believe that Le Rochefort is pretty much a basic beginners scratch build compared to what monograph’s you can get from them. It’s well worth a visit.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2022, 10:43:11 pm »

Geez, that's surprising , but I bet the beginners version wouldn't look anything like yours. :-))
Brian  B

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: February 17, 2022, 10:44:37 pm »

Thanks Brian  :-))   Have a look on Ancres website which is French. Would you believe that Le Rochefort is pretty much a basic beginners scratch build compared to what monograph’s you can get from them. It’s well worth a visit.

A basic beginners build ?  that makes me feel quite inadequate, I'm going for a sit down in a dark room for a sulk  :(( :(( {-)

Joe.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2022, 11:03:07 pm »

%% %%  Have a look at the plans for a 3 deck ship of the line. It really shows what can be done - just the under deck construction must take months. There are some amazing ships to build if you have the time  O0

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2022, 10:53:38 am »

Hi All

At last the deck clamp is finished  %%

I've become quite adept now at making hooked scarf joints

The parts all fitted inside the hull.  It would be so much easier just to make this as one piece instead of the four that it is - but what a lovely detail that I think needs to be done.

A couple of close ups - the bolts are 0.5mm carbon rod that goes all the way through to the frames

I'm now waiting for some wood to arrive so that I can start the inside planking.  The planking inside this ship is fully caulked and completely seals the hold due to its cargo of gunpowder.  I've not done this before so plenty of challenges ahead.

In the mean time here's a set of 14 planking clamps that I've made in readiness for the job

Cheers Mark
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.