Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale  (Read 125420 times)

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2022, 09:44:46 pm »

Mark just fantastic - and what you have said there is just sinking in, planked inside and out! so none of all your beautiful work so far will be visible? I nearly cried at the thought

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2022, 09:25:32 am »

No, I think he mentioned earlier that one side only so as not to hide the detail  :-))
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2022, 12:59:14 pm »

Hi both - yes warspite is right I’m going to leave some of it exposed

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: February 28, 2022, 05:15:12 pm »

Beautiful workmanship Mark.  And whether its exposed or not, you'll know it's been done right..!

Best regards
David.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #279 on: March 13, 2022, 01:03:08 pm »

Beautiful workmanship Mark.  And whether its exposed or not, you'll know it's been done right..!

Best regards
David.

Thanks David  :-))

So another update - It's taken me quite a while to get on with the inside planking as I have had a bit of trouble interpreting the drawings again.  There is no flat plan of the planking and I could not find a way of making out the planks as I do on the outside.  So I applied some common sense such as not going up the stem too quickly and only tapering the planks to half their width.

I began as usual by marking out the planks taper and then popping it in my planking vice to be planed to size.

I then clamp the two planks together to ensure that they are a mirror image and then use heat to edge bend them into shape.

Next clamp them in place on the hull and repeat this process for the other planks

I've now made two complete strakes and this is where I am now.  The missing plank by the keelson is the limber channel for drainage by the ships pumps.  This plank is slightly different and is removable and I will make this at a later date.

I'll put another post up in a few weekends once I've made the seven strakes that I'm going to install at this point in the build

Cheers Mark

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2022, 05:44:02 pm »

Hi Mark, speaking generally now, decide how many planks required from keel to deck.  The garboard planks are usually straight, of uniform width and faired in to the stem and transom. Mark all vertical frame stations with the positions of top of each plank, (they will be progressively narrower towards stem and transom and you divide up the vertical length of each frame by the number of planks). Having internal as well as external frames is a complication but you should still be able to mark out the lower edge of each plank from inside hull. The top of each plank  is marked externally as you know the width of each plank at each frame station. The stock for each plank gets progressively wider as you move towards deck level to  such an extent that you may need to  make the sheer strake in two parts with a scarf joint. This method avoids having to make filler pieces near bow and stern o you have equal number of planks on each frame.
Make two identical planks and fit one each side. Always work in pairs to avoid twisting strain. On clinker hull I managed two pairs of planks per day but carvel is a little quicker.

Let me know if this makes sense???

Jerry C.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2022, 05:53:44 pm »

Hi ya Jerry

Yes that all makes sense to me  :-))

I know the width of the internal planks at their widest point and I know exactly how many I need to complete the job.  I also know that I need to have about 2 or 3 drop planks internally to keep the planks at 1/2 width at the stem and I also know that I will have to widen the planks at the stern.

I've tried so many times to calculate each plank as I have done in the past and I just can't quite work it out.  So I think I just need to adjust as I make each strake.  I must be honest planking internally is much much harder than externally.

I actually think I need to be more like a shipwright doing this and just get the job done and think about it a lot less.

BTW Angelica looks great with her new painted bottom  :-))

Cheers Mark

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2022, 07:42:01 pm »

When I built Wear I remember using a bendy strip of Formica for marking out for the planking but can’t remember how.  It might be worth having a look on my build in steam??? It’s pretty near the start.

Jerry C. 

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2022, 08:15:03 pm »

Disregard previous Mark,  it was used as a guide for mini plane chamfering previous plank top edge. Only used for clinker build.
I used to believe clinker was the pinnacle of the boat builders art having learned when assisting rebuilding a 27’ Montague Whaler that had been in the battle of Jutland. I’ve had a rethink of that opinion as your build is a quantum leap ahead. Respect matey.

Jerry C.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #284 on: May 15, 2022, 04:41:00 pm »

Hi All

It's been a while since I posted and thats because I have found planking inside the hull a whole new different ball game.  I thought that I had started off really well until it came to sanding it down.  As I hadn't bent the planks correctly at the stem I soon started to sand completely through them and the results are shown below.

Also the joints were not good enough and planning the planking run proved to be very difficult................so I ripped the whole lot out and started again.

Six weeks later I'm now happy with the results  :-))

So the next job is to put all of the nails into the planks, deck clamp, keelson and breast hook.  The plans state that the nail heads in the planks should be 1/5 the size of the thickness of the planks.  So the planks are 1.6mm thick so the nails need to be 0.3mm in diameter.  I've made up a test peice that I think looks ok.

So loads of nails to install and thanks for hanging in there  :-)

Mark

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #285 on: May 15, 2022, 05:19:10 pm »

Glad to see you had the courage to rip out and lay afresh Mark - after all that you have achieved to date, just going ahead with the damaged planks would have been a bitter pill to swallow.

... and your test piece looks good to me mate  :-))

Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #286 on: May 15, 2022, 05:33:29 pm »

Hi Ray and great to hear from you  :-))

Now here's the thing - Once completed these planks will never been seen again apart from a small view from the side.  I could have just left it and it would have not affected the finished ship...........but I just couldn't!

For me its just about doing the best that I can and it'll be finished when it is.

Hope your well mate  :-)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #287 on: May 15, 2022, 05:55:34 pm »

Yeah, we're all good here Mark thanks.

Hoping to get started on another model soon  :-))

Ray.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #288 on: May 15, 2022, 06:38:52 pm »

If at first you don't succeed.....  Excellent recovery Mark.  And the fact that nobody will see most of it when finished matters not a jot - it's your satisfaction that matters.  :-)) :-)) :-))

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #289 on: May 15, 2022, 07:11:36 pm »

If at first you don't succeed.....  Excellent recovery Mark.  And the fact that nobody will see most of it when finished matters not a jot - it's your satisfaction that matters.  :-)) :-)) :-))

Greg

Hi Greg - spot on mate  :-))   Thanks for the comments and I think that we all get points in our builds where we just know that we need to start again.  Its not a defeat but simply a learning curve.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #290 on: May 29, 2022, 09:19:02 am »

Hi All

The nailing is now complete that I intended to do and its come out ok  :-))   I think there are about 1000 nails in total.

Pictures before sanding with the nails still sticking out.

Pictures after sanding.

So now the hull is rigid and strong enough to fair the outside of the hull.  I've been looking forward to this part for quite a while!!

I'll keep you posted

Cheers Mark

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #291 on: May 29, 2022, 04:01:30 pm »

Mark, simply stunning, your work and this build is astounding, well done

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #292 on: May 29, 2022, 05:13:27 pm »

Mark, simply stunning, your work and this build is astounding, well done

O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #293 on: May 29, 2022, 05:40:13 pm »

Once again you have made an outstanding job on those planks and nails and full credit for your determination to 'get it right'.

You can be justifiably proud of your progress to date...

Well done mate.

Aye,
Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #294 on: June 05, 2022, 05:18:46 pm »

Hi lads - thanks for the really nice comments I just don't know what to say  :-))

So she's faired  :-))   When I started this foolish mission I always thought in my own mind that if I could get this far then I could complete her.  I faired it completely by hand with no power tools which is why it took me so long.

Honestly I'm so chuffed to see her correct lines for the first time after all of this time and its been well worth it.

The next job is to mark out and cut her top timbers which will make her look even better.

Some pictures below and thanks for all of the support - Mark

:-)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #295 on: June 05, 2022, 09:23:27 pm »

Superb work  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Don't Assume Check

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #296 on: June 08, 2022, 09:18:53 am »

Still following.  Still hugely impressed. 
 :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: June 12, 2022, 03:21:08 pm »

Thanks guys for the nice comments  :-))

Ok the top timbers are now cut to length and she's looking a bit smarter

Now the bad news - I've made the transom incorrectly due to my inexperience.  The transom filling pieces do not line up with the wing transom rabbet.  This is a major problem at this point in the build.

It's so obvious to me now but when I made these pieces I knew a lot less about a ships anatomy and how all of the parts work together to make the whole.  So I now have a couple of choices.

1.  I can laminate more wood onto the transom filling pieces to get the correct shape but I know that this will look bad.

2.  I can bodge it by cutting the rabbet deeper to suit and change the shape of the stern of the ship a bit.

I need to give this some thought before I move on but either way its not the end of the world  {-)

Cheers Mark

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #298 on: June 12, 2022, 04:51:58 pm »

Mark what you have achieved so far is nothing short of a masterpiece in ship modelling so don't beat yourself up over a past mistake, whatever you do to get over it I'm darn sure I won't notice it, keep going mate I really want to see this finished. 

Joe.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #299 on: June 12, 2022, 05:26:19 pm »

Mark what you have achieved so far is nothing short of a masterpiece in ship modelling so don't beat yourself up over a past mistake, whatever you do to get over it I'm darn sure I won't notice it, keep going mate I really want to see this finished. 

Joe.

Hi Joe - really great to here from you mate  :-))   Its certainly not insurmountable and its just another problem when building a ship this way.  Now that I can see the problem its just so obvious what I did wrong but we all have to learn a new trade the hard way  %%

Here's another picture what does exaggerate the problem somewhat but its gives you a better idea of what I need to fix.  The plank that runs under the whale into the rabbet has to be carved as it's far too tight to bend wood.  This will give me quite a bit of leeway too!

Mark  :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.