The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Working Vessels

Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale

<< < (64/102) > >>

Fastfaz:
Hi Mark,
    As a time serve Joiner I am seriously impressed with the quality of your work, we had to do everything by hand (i.e. handplanes and spokeshaves) but the most impressive thing for me is your patience and precision in getting all the tricky shapes correct!
     Keep up the good work I am following it all.
                Cheers, Pete.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) [size=78%] [/size]

B.B:
Hi Mark , that's a pretty impressive way of making those small dowels or tree nails, pardon the ignorance but never seen a piercing needle before ?. You probably don't want these sort of suggestions  <*< but would be interesting to see you build 2 of these models one to the framed up stage to show all that beautiful timber work and the other fully finished stage , cheers .

Mark T:

--- Quote from: Fastfaz on July 03, 2022, 06:12:42 pm ---Hi Mark,
    As a time serve Joiner I am seriously impressed with the quality of your work, we had to do everything by hand (i.e. handplanes and spokeshaves) but the most impressive thing for me is your patience and precision in getting all the tricky shapes correct!
     Keep up the good work I am following it all.
                Cheers, Pete.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

--- End quote ---

Thanks Pete - This model is pretty much an exercise in joinery and I’m learning as I go. I’ve found that if the joints and shapes are not exact it has a bad knock on effect somewhere else.

--- Quote from: B.B on July 04, 2022, 03:40:08 am ---Hi Mark , that's a pretty impressive way of making those small dowels or tree nails, pardon the ignorance but never seen a piercing needle before ?. You probably don't want these sort of suggestions  <*< but would be interesting to see you build 2 of these models one to the framed up stage to show all that beautiful timber work and the other fully finished stage , cheers .

--- End quote ---

Hi Brian - I had never heard of piercing needles either but they are the needles that people use pierce their bodies with to fit jewellery.  They are available on eBay and they are much stronger than hypodermic needles.
As for the framing I’m not going to fully agree plank this model. I’m going to leave parts of the planking off so that the frames can be seen in places.

Cheers Mark

B.B:
Hi Mark, thank you  for explaining that  ;) , keep up the good work  :-)) .

Mark T:
Hi All

Well after a fantastic holiday and a bit of a break I'm back on it  :-))

So onto the whale and the plank below it - these timbers are big in fact the whale is 10.7mm x 3.3mm which was a complete pain to bend around the bow.  The whale is made of 3 planks which are joined by scarf joints.  The plank below is slightly smaller at 10mm x 3.3mm and has simple butt joints.  A few pictures below

I've now started the very difficult plank that wraps around the stern into the wing transom rabbet.  It has to be carved due to the extremely tight curve and this is how it was done on the full size ship.  My first attempt doesn't fit accurately enough - but its pointed me in the right direction for my next attempt.

I think it will take a few attempts to get this particular plank right but I'll get there!!

Cheers Mark  :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version