Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale  (Read 122293 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Marks "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2021, 05:46:36 pm »

Hi Joe - yes it is mate simply because this is my first fully framed ship.  With instructions I'm pretty much used to seeing what it is I need to do on one sheet.  With plans however I'm having to constantly cross reference to check my understanding and dimensions.  I love this sort of thing as your right it really makes me think and try and solve 3D puzzles in my brain.  The trouble is I think you need a 64 meg ram memory and I'm still running an old 386  {-)   I still haven't worked out the rising frames so I'll have another look tomorrow.  Thanks for the tip on the carbon - that properly saved me  :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2021, 02:17:41 pm »

Well I've definitely had a problem this week but also managed to solve it with a bit of help  :-))

This has been my desk - no wood to play with just plans and callipers and utter confusion

My problem has been understanding the rising frame drawings.  Now that I know how to read them it's quite obvious but I was stuck for days.  The problem is pictured below.  At first glance it looks like the frame sits on the rising wood at point A.  It doesn't - it actually makes contact with the rising wood at point C which is level horizontally with point B on the drawing.  That makes sense - however point C is too wide for the rising wood so what's going on???

It turns out that what looks like the rising wood at point A is just a piece of draughtsman's licence and doesn't actually represent the rising wood at all.  Maybe its just easier to draw it that way but it certainly gave me a headache  {:-{

To complicate matters a bit further frames 1 and 2 do not sit level on the rising wood either

Confused - you should be as I was  {-)

Anyway lets actually have a go at making these frames. I cut the patterns out of wood as before and started by making sure that I had the correct angle where they sit.  I did this by photocopying the rising wood and used this as a template.  Its a nice feeling when the wood and paper literally click together

The second stage of assembly - the parts with the yellow stripe marked 1 are actually 2 pieces that meet vertically in the middle.  The butt joint there is a real pain  <*<

The finished assembly

Then I bevelled the inside - such a waste of wood but hey ho!

I then bevelled the outside and I now have my first rising frame

Its actually quite slender but very strong  :-))   So I've 3 more rising frames to make but this is the most heavily bevelled one.  It's not finished as its only rough sanded and still needs the bolts inserted.  Its challenging yet for some reason extremely satisfying work

Mark

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2021, 10:11:42 pm »

Hi Mark, I'm glad you can read the plans cos I'm dammed if I could, that frame is more like a sculpture talk about patience, she sure is going to be shapely.

Joe.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2021, 09:45:38 am »

Hi Joe - you would be able to read these plans no problem mate.  The monograph is so detailed that it pretty much explains everything to you.  I have to take my hat off to Ancre as the effort that has gone into the book and plans is amazing.  This is one of their smallest easiest ships to build so I can only imagine what a first class ship of the line would be like.  I'll hopefully have another update later this week and thanks for the interest  :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2021, 12:07:36 pm »

A bit more done;  I've now finished the 4 rising frames at the bow.

And now I have a stack of 15 forward frames that are all just about complete for the time being

I now need to start making the frames towards the stern of which there are 17.  I'll update this thread once I've made a good start into them as its pretty much the same as the work carried out so far.  If anything pops up I'll let you know

Mark

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2021, 12:16:42 pm »

Looking great Mark you can start to get an idea of the hull shape, very nice mate keep it coming.

Joe.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2021, 02:11:16 pm »

Beautiful work.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2021, 04:50:56 pm »

Thanks both of you for the encouragement  :-))   I've been putting in the 900 bolts for these frames and its a bit slow going.  It's also dawned on me that I need about 16m of carbon rod to complete this once waste has been taken into account.  I ordered 2m so I guess my career as a quantity surveyor has ended before it begun  {-)   Hopefully by next weekend I'll have them all in and then I can move on.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2021, 10:37:09 pm »

Work of art Matey. Do the carbon fibre bolts serve a function in holding things together or just visual? If not functional then one technique was Indian ink which will stand proud of the timber but be visible. I considered doing this instead of nails and rooves
 on Wear’s planking as the scale made real ones impractical. I didn’t bother as glued construction came in just after WW2.

Jerry C.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2021, 08:39:49 am »

Thanks Jerry  :-))   They are only for show and I did think about just marking them on like you have suggested.  But then I did one with the carbon and its just looks so nice so I've got to continue.  Well next week anyway once a new stock arrives as I've completely run out now

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2021, 12:19:32 pm »

Not much to report on this build I'm afraid  - I discovered an error in frame number 1 so I have now remade this frame.  I'm currently working my way through the frame bolts all 900 of them.  So far I've used 4 metres of carbon rod but I'm nearly there.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2021, 01:10:59 pm »

You got some patience Mark, 900 pins I think I'd be using a black marker pen by now %%

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2021, 02:03:20 pm »

You got some patience Mark, 900 pins I think I'd be using a black marker pen by now %%

Joe

Ha ha I did think about it Joe - the trouble is when I sand down the pins they look so realistic I just have to go this way.  The good news is I've just fitted PIN number 900 so thats job done now.  I just need to clean them all up and put them into storage  :-))

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2021, 08:36:10 am »

Incredible craftsmanship Mark  8)

I believe you don't do Facebook but this guy is worth joining for. One of many of his pictures.

Giorgio

See if this works https://www.facebook.com/100006539953001/videos/3067655746795727/
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2021, 09:41:48 am »

That's not a model boat - that's a work of art  :o .

Ray.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2021, 10:41:38 am »

It is indeed but just bigger! Mark’s is equally exacting but to fit his house  8)
Giorgio looks like he has all the proxxon kit in his workshop too in his many other pictures. His Facebook is public so anyone can see them
ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2021, 12:34:57 pm »

Wow that's nice - I wonder how many years of work have gone into that ship  O0   All he needs is an oar and he can row it up the river!

I've made some progress on mine and hopefully have an update at the weekend  :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2021, 02:31:19 pm »

Another small milestone in this build - I've now finished the aft frames from 16 - 27  O0   I still need to cut the slots for the frame spacers and fit all of the bolts but thats fine.  I'm definitely getting better at making them as I cut out the parts for 12 frames and ended up with 12 frames  %%   I'll get some pictures up when I've done these other jobs too

Marking out and cutting the parts

Finished frames

So that 27 frames made now only another 5 to make

Cheers Mark

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2021, 02:45:29 pm »

Crazy  %%  perfection  :-)

I won't be attempting anything like this myself. It's great to see it being done  O0

Wood is so nice when used like this
ANDY

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2021, 02:59:12 pm »

With the frames stacked like that your photos give us a good idea of what you've been up against - great work Mark.  :-))

Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2021, 04:38:47 pm »

Thanks lads - it's coming on slowly but surely.  Its definitely improving my carpentry if nothing else  {-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2021, 03:13:01 pm »

Hi All

Sorry for the lack of updates but I'm still on it.  The frames that I made last have now had the rebates cut for the floor chocks and the bolts installed

I have also made a good start on the last 5 frames.  These are the most complicated which is why I left them to last.  The have several chocks which are quite small to make and as I discovered its easy to mess them up.

Here they are glued together  - it would be so easy to make these as one piece but then the grain would be running in the wrong direction.  Funnily enough none of this detail will be seen on the finished ship.

The final 5 frames - frame 29,30 and 31 are made of 13 individual pieces.  You can see frame 28 here after I have bevelled it.

So plenty of progress and I've very nearly finished the frames  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2021, 04:41:01 pm »

I'm finding this fascinating. Regarding the fact that very little, if any, of your work will be seen on the finished article - you will have the satisfaction of knowing how much accurate work went into it all. Plus, a lot of people reading this blog will also know the quality of your work.
Great work Mark.  :-))

Ray.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2021, 05:14:51 pm »

I am in awe of your precision and patience, not to mention your commitment to get it exactly right. Bravo, and thank you for taking us along on the trip.

Greg

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2021, 06:23:27 pm »

Ray and Greg have said it all I can only agree with them  :-))

Joe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.