Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale  (Read 125384 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Marks "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2021, 05:12:23 pm »

Surely if you over clamped it, it's possible to over clamp it the other way to correct?  I thought that was one of the foibles of wood butchery?  Sorry for my niavity in asking.

Hi mate - you would think so and I have really tried to manipulate this back to shape.  But as its all glued together, when I pull it straight the stresses just end up lifting the keel upwards.  So then I would need to clamp the keel down to fit the frames - and so on.  It's just one of those things thats just wrong.  I should have placed the frame on the plan when I glued in the apron but I didn't.  All I managed to do (I think) is put loads of stresses into the entire structure by not doing this.  The knock on effects have really surprised me but it seems thats just the way it is.  I'll never do it again though  :embarrassed:

RST

« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2021, 05:54:06 pm »

Fairy muff. It looked too simple on the pic!  I'd have lived with it but it's not my build. Most stuff I use has worse distortion when it comes in the post but can pull back out again.if it's not right then it's not right.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2021, 01:06:28 am »

Mark, the fact that it was “right” once means it can be “right” again. Think of building the real one, in a yard. Wood moves, that’s why it such a good material to build boats with. If it didn’t move, trust me, the sea would break it. As a kid in Pwllheli I spent days watching wooden boats being built. They used steel jacks to hold bits into position. Obviously it only achieves full strength when everything comes together as one. Certainly, clamp the keel down to an solid surface and then support the bad bit in position and only remove the support when you have to. A little steam wouldn’t go amiss either. It’s probably caused by the season change.  Even we perfectionists can go too far!

Jerry C.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2021, 08:14:58 am »

If you do go down the remake route you could remake just the defective part, cutting 3/4 of the original part off and trim back the old part to the joint and its glue i.e. get back to the keel in a state it was before fitting the defective part, the other reason for complete rebuild would be to rectify the mistakes made in the other parts of the keel if this is why you wanted to replace the whole lot, though in a ship yard they would have just replaced the faulty bit or made it fit by adding a new piece to it or adjusting the plan.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2021, 09:17:20 am »

Hi lads and thanks for the comments  :-))

I worked out last night that it was definitely when I glued the apron on the problem occurred.  So last night the whole thing was placed in a bath of IPA to try and release the glue.  Unfortunately this did not work - in fact not one of the joints became any more loose.  So the next option was to persuade it a bit and you've guessed it - snap!  Its really quite fragile in places.

Its no big deal really as I've loads of wood and plenty of time.  I'll pick this build back up on here once I get back to where I was

Mark  :-)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2021, 07:50:13 pm »

Like I said, it may have been better than having to make the whole thing again to have cut the offending piece off as close to the nearest joint, but as it's now broke you have the opportunity to remedy the issues you had.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2021, 04:05:55 pm »

So just a quick update as I always like to let you know about my stupid mistakes.

I photocopied the plans as before and cut out the rough outline of the pieces in boxwood.  Guess what - my photocopier has elongated the images and it looks like the flipping thing is broken.  The outcome is I now have another set of useless parts  >:-o >>:-(

So not to be outdone I've popped into my local library and copied them there.  The people in the library were ultra helpful too and these images are much more accurate.

Don't anyone ever say that I don't have patience  {-) {-) {-)   Bear with me I'll get there  :-)   I have had to order a little more wood too but thats just the way it goes sometimes  O0

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2021, 04:58:07 pm »

I think you have patience in abundance, I would have chucked me toys out of the pram way back.  %% %%

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2021, 05:15:33 pm »

I think you have patience in abundance, I would have chucked me toys out of the pram way back.  %% %%

Joe

Ha ha I did Joe - but then I got back in my pram  {-)   

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2021, 10:55:24 am »

Hi All

Take two  {-)

I've now completely remade all of the keel parts - nothing was reused.  It's taken me quite a while to do this as I discovered a small printing error on my plans.  Not on the main assembled plan but on one of the exploded away parts.  It took me quite a while to work this out but I'm glad I did.

Pics of the keel which is now as straight as a die  :-))

The only added part is the stem knee head and I've also pre-cut the saddle for the bowsprit.  I reckon that its easier to do at this stage rather than later.

So back on track and I'm now going to make the rising wood which sits on top of the keel.  This is the parts that all of the frames lock onto.

Cheers Mark  :-)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2021, 11:28:36 am »

Hey Mark

Beautiful piece of work.  I think you can stop there and just put it on the mantlepiece...  :-))

David.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2021, 04:52:54 pm »

Thanks David it's starting to come on now.  I have spent about 7 hours on the mill today (I'm furloughed again) making the rising wood.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow which hopefully will show the way this build is going rather than just pieces of wood.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2021, 07:53:23 am »

I've now finished the rising wood which was quite a nice piece to make.  The shorter of the two pieces was the hardest as it get thicker as it gets nearer to the stem.

I lined them up using the plans and located them using tree nails.  This made the gluing up nice and easy.

Before gluing them on they had to be tapered on the underside as they form part of the rabbet for the garboard plank.

Finally I trial fitted a couple of frames which were very snug.  I gave them a quick go with a file and they fitted ok, but I may have to just widen the rising wood a bit to save me a lot of hassle when I assemble the frames.  I was pleased with the joints though  :-))

My next job which I will start sometime over the weekend will be the wing transom which looks like a particularly awkward part.  I'll let you know how I get on

baerlin-line

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
  • Location: Berlin - in the middle of the Havel and Spree - Germany
    • PANART Harbor Tug Anteo 2 / expansion with electric motor, large batteries, etc.
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2021, 03:18:39 pm »

Wow mark,

that's perfect precision work again.

That’s great. :-))

Ralf

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2021, 04:45:03 pm »

Hi Ralf - thanks very much  :-))

Just a few more pictures of frames 13 - 1 roughly sitting on the rising wood.  They are not lined up accurately but I thought it gives an impression of how the bow end is going to look.

Mark

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2021, 10:51:25 am »

The work you have put into her so far Mark, credit to you ,cheers.
Brian  B

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2021, 11:11:13 am »

Your patience is paying off Mark I'm begining to get an idea what the hull will look like.  :-))

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2021, 03:17:37 pm »

Hi Brian and Joe

Thanks for the comments lads and I'm pretty pleased with my progress now  :-)) [size=78%] [/size]

I started the wing transom and quickly realised that the best way to make this part would be if I could tip my mill vice at an angle.  I could use the bandsaw and then file its complicated shape but I think that it would probably take quite a few tries to get it right. 

Its a big piece and I'm aware of how much wood I'm going through so if I can I only want to make it once.  So I've ordered an adjustable angle plate to allow me to angle my vice.  Unfortunately it may be a 3 week wait for the part but I'm going to wait for it.

In the meantime I'm making an assembly jig so that I can line the entire hull up properly.  I'll get some photo's up as soon as its made

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2021, 06:00:53 pm »

Hi All

Sorry for the lack of updates  :((   I've ordered an adjustable angle plate to fit under my mill vice and it still hasn't arrived - apparently it will be with me in about two weeks so I have to be patient.

In the mean time I've built the assembly jig which was a bit of a project in itself.  Its made up of two layers with the top layer following the widest part of the hull.  I think the pictures kind of explain this better.

The hull is pretty much going to live in this jig for the next year so it really needed to be strong.  Here's a few pictures with a few random frames put in.  They fit quite well apart from the first 4 frames at the bow.  I think this is because I've left a bit too much on them for their final shape but I'll cross that bridge later.

So hopefully I'll get my part soon and then I'll start on the wing transom

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2021, 06:44:30 pm »

Such a complex build Mark, even the assembly jig must have taken a lot of patience to set up.

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2021, 06:51:00 pm »

Such a complex build Mark, even the assembly jig must have taken a lot of patience to set up.

Joe

Hi Joe - building it took a lot longer than I thought it would.  Fortunately the plans are extremely comprehensive so setting it up was just a case of taking measurements from the plans and then adjusting to suit.  Getting it all square was not too bad it just took a bit of jiggling  O0   I just need this angle plate to arrive and I'm off milling again.  Talking of which I've upgraded my mill so I'll be selling my old one soon  :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2021, 09:25:45 pm »

Beautiful workmanship!   ✅✅✅
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2021, 03:03:16 pm »

Thanks Martin  :-))

So for the past few weekends I been having a very enjoyable time catching up with the family  O0   So this weekend I have eventually got around to having a go at making the wing transom.  This is a particularly difficult piece to make due to its many angles and curves. 

I was quite surprised by the really big piece of wood required to make this part and about 40% of it is turned to sawdust  {:-{   So firstly template on and I cut the shape looking down from the top.  Working out the angles especially of the locating slot took me quite a lot of head scratching.

Next the front template was glued on which allowed me to shape to from the front and rear.

Next the locating slots where cut and the bottom shaped

The finished wing transom which I managed to damage the corner of.........oh well  >>:-(   It'll be ok

With the rabbet cut to receive the planking at a much later date

How it looks on the stern post

I'm really pleased with it for a first attempt but wow it was hard to make.  So my next jobs will be to complete the transom which I think needs another 8 or 9 pieces but I'll keep you updated

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2021, 03:16:20 pm »

Hi All

I've now made a start on the other four transom pieces and so far so good  :-))

Firstly I ran some wood through the thickness sander to get a piece that is 6.75mm thick.  This is actually the thinnest piece of wood so far on the build. 

I then did the usual of attaching the templates which were then cut and sanded to their outermost shape.

I've also made a start on milling out the angled and stepped rebate where each piece is locked into the sternpost knee extension.

It's a really good tight fitting joint and on the original ship must have had tremendous strength.

So my next jobs are to rebate the other three pieces and then get them shaped up.  I think this will be quite difficult as they have very steep tapered angles.  I'll do my usual and just take my time.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2021, 06:42:14 pm »

I can only watch in awe Mark  8)  fab u lous
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.