Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: SLEC Swordsman issue  (Read 5289 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SLEC Swordsman issue
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2021, 07:12:28 pm »

When I built the Huntsman it was on the basis of reviewing the kit as received. But with the Swordsman I said I reserved the right to amend and add detail to enhance the realism as a semi scale model. All kits include compromises to make them commercially viable but there is nothing to stop you improving them.

If you buy the kit yourself then you have no obligation to slavishly follow the instructions although it is sensible to add to the model rather than alter it which is what I did. The Swordsman was built according to the instructions and I simply embellished it in various ways including applying mahogany stripwood. It's all part of the fun.

My Swordsman is not a patch on Dave's original but I am still quite pleased with it.

Colin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2021, 07:18:50 pm »

Hi Colin,
Just glancing through the thread and your pics.

Am I right in thinking that your crew is from the farming community? We might have the same driver :o
Cheers
Tony

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2021, 07:34:05 pm »

Yes Tony, we are all Bruders. Too bad the female interest only seems to come in wellies rather than something more appropriate for a posh power boat.

Colin

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2021, 03:06:17 pm »

Thought i'd post a "where i'm up to now" photo instead of a "please help" message (just about to add glassfibre to the hull - should be fun).
I know there's a few bits to "fettle" yet (no zooming in) and i just temporarily added the laser etched deck to give me a boost as to how its going to look - pleased so far.

Cheers,
Mark

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2021, 03:22:40 pm »

Coming on now Mark and really looking like a Swordsman.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2021, 04:29:07 pm »

Hi,
I was hoping i was finished with issues with the hull after my first attempt at fibreglassing went so well but i've come to fit the chine rails and found - they don't!

The rail provided is 609mm (seems a very precise length) and for where i think it should end at the bow, it's too short. If i move it down the bow to where it would fit (ie. join with the other side) then it seems much too low.
I'm also wondering if i've got the shape of the bow wrong too as i did not sand to a point as all the pictures i looked at seem to indicate it was more flat at the front.
The bend at the bow would also be very tight (unless it is supposed to be done in 2 pieces hence the short rail).

I'd welcome some thoughts/advice please.

Thanks,
Mark

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2021, 05:00:12 pm »

I don't recall any problems with mine so maybe you have left the bow blocks a little 'fat'. Photo of mine below.

You can't change the shape of your bow now but it should be an easy fix. Fit the rail starting at the bow and steam it if necessary to get round the curve. Then just add a short straight section of 1/8th sq strip at the back.

Colin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2021, 05:09:26 pm »

I don't know whether this might help but on both my current powerboats I templated then cut pieces of ply of the same thickness as the chine rail strip to give "V" shapes matched to the locations needed. They only went back a couple of inches. I then glued them in place with epoxy and ran the strips :-)) from there. A bit of fettling and job done.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2021, 06:30:31 pm »

Funnily enough I've been fitting the chine rails to my bigger Swordsman today. Been a bit of a job as I'm using a larger section and even with steaming it's been a challenge to get the one fitted so far.

The chine rails do meet at the bow and the bow is rounded rather than coming to a point so you will probably have to use some filler.

As yours are short I'd do as Colin suggests and fit a piece in towards the stern where it isn't under tension unlike at the bow.

I like your idea Tony as it can sometimes be difficult to get the chine rails to meet neatly.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2021, 07:59:50 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Haha, yes i think fat balsa blocks absolutely is my problem - i can see it now when i look at the bow - i should have tried the chine rails before fibreglassing. Next time!

I don't seem to have much success with steaming (more practice i guess!) and i would have thought a piece on the front would be "cheating" but i rather like it  :-)

@Chris - good luck with the other side.

Cheers,
Mark

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2021, 08:09:03 pm »

It doesn't matter what method you use as long as the result is the same. That is the beauty and versatility of wood. Once blended in and painted no one will know the difference.

Colin

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2021, 01:01:15 pm »

Hi all.
Thought i'd post an update picture if anyone's interested - got a list of 9 "potential" things left to do but struggling with motivation as it runs and looks ok on the water (to me).Sadly, i caught the mast with my sleeve and broke it off (held with blutack for the purposes of the picture) so i'm thinking about making it removable (somehow).

Cheers,Mark

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2021, 01:19:23 pm »

Hi Mark, we're always interested in Faireys!

Looking good, what's left to do?

Any thoughts on a next build?

Chris

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2021, 04:11:47 pm »

Hi Chris,

Here's just a few of the things:-
ladder (maybe bathing platform too).
red pinstripe over the waterline and long arrow pinstripe on the side.
Swordsman lettering in white on cabin sides (couldn't see the supplied gold one when I put it on - not sure how to do this).
Compass for the dashboard (supplied one really needs the face adding as it looks a bit plain - not sure how to do this either).

Hmm, don't really have any ideas for the next boat really - how sad! (suggestions welcome)
I have a "side project" which is an Albatross speedboat for which i just have a picture of the plan! It's a throwback to my youth so purely sentimental. It was an aluminum boat but i'm going to try and replicate it in wood.
So far i've just constructed it in cardboard to see how it might go together.
Cheers,Mark

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2021, 06:16:28 pm »

Hi Mark

I'm nowhere near the detailing stage myself but Radiojoe had good results with waterslide transfers in his Hunters Moon build in this section. If you have a look at Captain Podges Another Huntsman Rebuild on Page 5 of the thread there is discussion on the process. I've seen the odd build where the long arrows on the side have been raised by I think using thin mahogany.

Speedboat sounds interesting.

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2021, 10:11:09 pm »

Mark,

The Albatross plan that you have, does it show bulkheads? If not, I have a PDF one that has transom and two bulkheads shown, plus a side and top view.

If this is of any use to you, send me a pm with your email and I'll send it to you.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2021, 10:14:27 pm »

Regarding the mast, does the cabin roof lift off?

If so, could you cut a slot and add a piece to the bottom of the mast that passes through the slot and you put a small R clip through to keep in in place?

Or, the same at the bottom of the mast and two pieces of spring metal on the underside, that will grip and hold the piece that passes through the slot. Then when you're done, simply pull on the mast to remove it from between the jaws of the spring metal clip.

Hope that makes sense. It does to me anyway  %%

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2021, 10:03:59 am »

And does the Albatross plan show the location of the radio equipment installed to become the "Queen Gull"?

Regards   Ian.

You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2021, 10:34:47 am »

And does the Albatross plan show the location of the radio equipment installed to become the "Queen Gull"?

Regards   Ian.

My one doesn't, it's just a 2 view plus bulkheads and for the 1:1 boat, not aimed at building a model.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2021, 01:03:50 pm »

@Chris - thanks for pointing me there, will have a read and research.

@Will - thanks for the offer of a pdf. I don't have a pdf (I've got jpg and png ones) but it sounds like the same drawing - would be interested to have it even so, so i'll PM you.
          - the mast ideas sound interesting, however, it's a bit busy just there (the slot for the windscreen is there) but maybe i can make it work.

@Ian - Sadly not, it's the plan of the actual boat so all that would have to be worked out (fudged in my case!). The drive train will be awkward to fit in never mind the rc stuff, it may never come to anything, who knows. I (think) I've done it as 1:8 but may need to go bigger. Someone has done an ic engine version in aluminum at 1:4 but no RC.

Cheers Mark

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2021, 08:33:43 pm »

Wish I ate cornflakes....the mock up looking good, 40 inches with a serious brushless maybe in wood not breakfast boxes  {-)  (by others here...I know nothing about strange electric things)
Winter project I think  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2021, 11:51:52 am »

Wonder if substituting with "Crunchy Nuts" boxes will make the performance sweeter?? O0

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.