Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A tiny flying boat  (Read 1327 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
A tiny flying boat
« on: December 16, 2020, 06:21:03 pm »

This little flying boat is 21.75 inch span, the original Sea BB 26 was 26 inch. Mine is 84% scale and weighs 49.5g with 300mah 3.7v cell. Original was brushless power using a 700mah 11.1v pack. My entire plane weighs just over half the weight of the battery for the original version. The original was 3mm depron construction with a shaped 3/4 inch foam block forming most of the fuselage in front of the wing. Mine is mostly 1mm depron, with some 2mm and 3mm formers, 6mm depron was used as fillets on the top surface of the nose and windscreen so I could sand edges. The top of the fuselage sides behind wing have 2mm depron strips about 6mm wide and extending under tailplane seat for extra glueing area. The top 1mm skin fits onto the strips forming a surprisingly rigid little fuselage. The top edges of fuselage were rounded off a bit. The lower skins are fitted between fuselage sides with no support strips, so no rounding of bottom edges. Front lower skin is 2mm depron for a bit more rigidity, it also coped better around the curve with no creasing. The rear section is 1mm.
 I was hoping to make the tailplane, elevators fin and rudder from 1mm depron but it is too wobbly. I was going to add 1mm carbon to stiffen it up but it would still have been wobbly and I think it may have been heavier than my 2mm version anyway. 2mm doesnt need anything added and has been well tested in previous models. Hinges from fibreglass packing tape, control horns from ice cream tub plastic, control rods from 1mm carbon with paperclip ends. Radio board held in place by 3 small blobs of hotglue. Wings are 1mm depron with 1mm carbon leading edge taped on. Tip float struts are 3 layers 1mm depron with a 1mm carbon rod up the centre one and a 9mm depron float half each side. Wings are banded on to 1mm carbon dowels.
 I spent a lot of time working out the best way to build this plane using a different method to that used on original. Juggling weight with strength, erring on the side of strength due to my flying style... I do have crashes from time to time. Bearing this in mind, it is a bit heavier than what I thought would be ideal, I painted bits too, adding some more weight but I think its well worth it rather than plain white. Anyway, ready to fly, it tips the scales at 49.5g, or 1 and 3/4 ounces. Amazing, and this is a fairly heavy one! My T38 Talon weighs 28.4g with the same 300mah cell.
 I was a bit worried about the wing not being stiff enough, and suffering from flutter, but I didnt need to, its fine, it has some wobbliness due to float drag at high speed but it doesnt affect the flight at all, so far. Power is from 8.5mm motor, which is enough to perform 45 degree climbs.
 It has been a nice little project, ending up with a pretty little plane that flies like a dream, no pitch up with power, unusual for undercambered wing, the tailplane angle is obviously spot on. Copes well with quite a wind for a 50g plane! Its ability to do loops and inverted were a bit of a surprise, and a mix of fast flying, some '3rd notch of throttle', less than 1/4 stick, cruising,( and still able to gain height on this setting!) and some steep climbs with power off glides was giving me around 10 minutes of flying time. It will do 8 foot loops, and the horizontal equivalent, whatever thats called? Knife edge loops? Dunno. 😁 It sure is a very capable little plane, still to try a take off from water, but there's plenty time, and plenty water! Need to find a big enough puddle. Until then I am just going to enjoy flying it and landing on the grass, it stops instantly because it is so light. It has turned out to be one of the nicest handling and sporty planes I have built for the F949 radio board so far. The deltas and jet models are faster but not as confidence inspiring as this little gem. I am now thinking of a larger version, maybe twice the size? using twin geared motor units from syma x7 quadcopter but thats the builder in me, the flyer bit is well happy with the little one.
 Short video here
 https://youtu.be/7uisDPoa6Ig

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A tiny flying boat
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 07:24:08 pm »

OK that is really cool, will you be trying for a water landing  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 11:23:16 pm »

I hope to take off and land on water. The river where I do most of my boating is a bit fast and deep just now, I would rather try a big puddle first. I dont forsee any problems, the rest of the plane's characteristics are nice, I imagine water based activities should be nice too. I could be wrong though.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 05:45:05 am »

I can recommend the puddles at Deans Marine. not the boating area one!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Dean's Marine

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dean's Marine
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 01:21:00 pm »

I can recommend the puddles at Deans Marine. not the boating area one!
Hi Klunk A little bit of rising damp ? you can sail your boat through the shop and stands and up to the pond, we try to give you all the facilities we can ?
 Regards Ron

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 02:27:57 pm »

a great weekend!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 04:30:48 pm »

Looks perfect! Is it like that all year? 😁

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 06:37:38 pm »

Must have fine Klunk still has his shorts on. {-) {-)
Steamed up all the time

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 07:25:02 am »

Picture 10149

caption should read - oh look the tides coming in
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Dean's Marine

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dean's Marine
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 09:13:56 am »

Looks perfect! Is it like that all year? 😁
Hi Not often it has been know that we have had some rain at times, itys not often this  "interesting " Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.