Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESP32 Sound System  (Read 2785 times)

TomF

• Full Mayhemer
    • 1 of 1 stuff
ESP32 Sound System
« on: October 22, 2022, 05:17:56 pm »

Hi

Im going to use the DIY Guy 99 sound system using the ESP32, in my Cracker Box build.
Breadboard at the moment and installing Platform IO with some issues.
I may need some assistance if its being offered.
Thanks
Tom
Motorcycle, mechanical, models and electronic projects.
1 of 1 stuff
https://1of1stuff.com

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Re: Arduino Sound System
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 05:28:27 pm »

Hi Tom,

IMHO Platform IO is an over engineered/ over complicated tool of which I have never mastered...

esp32 using Arduino IDE is simple :)

Mr DIY  GUY 99 projects are pretty cool - if not super complicated - 8 bit sound is a bit thin

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 07:37:52 pm »

Hi Tom
Great to hear that you're going with the ESP32 version of the DIYGuy sound system, the builds I've seen and heard on YouTube are impressive to say the least. Very happy to help if I can, but to be honest I've not tried the ESP32 build yet so not sure how much I can contribute.
I'll upload a new video this week to show my progress with 'twin motors'. I'm still using the older 8bit approach and have to agree with C3PO that it's marginal, but with decent speakers and tubes, I'm pleased with the sound and the overall functionality at the moment.
Best of luck. And best regards
David.

TomF

• Full Mayhemer
    • 1 of 1 stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 01:03:53 pm »

Hi Guys, do hope you can help. Started to experiment with the DIY Guy 99 latest version of sound generator with 30 pin ESP32, and have three issues/questions
I have breadboarded the system and only connected Rx with the steering servo and connection from Rx throttle to ESP32 (D27), external 5v for Rx and servo, and 20V for the audio amp.
When i use the throttle on the Tx I get the default sound (Adler), but only if I connect to D27, nothing if I connect to D14 (throttle)
Monitor reports:

Transmitter channel offsets (calculated, if channelAutoZero[] = true):
CH1: 10 µs
CH3: 2 µs
CH5: signal out of auto calibration range, check transmitter & receiver!

Also if I change the sound to "#include "vehicles/1965FordMustangV8.h"// 1965 Ford Mustang V8" I get no sound - (I have commented out the standard sound)

Also the DIY Guy says on his GIT page to connect a Hobbywing 1080 ESC "I do not recommend any other ESC" is that really the case? I have Alien Power Systems 180A BEC

Thanks for any help.
1 of 1 stuff

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 01:45:58 pm »

Hi TomF,

I played with this a while back - as I am sure you will agree it takes a while to get your head around how it all hangs together - it's a bit of a beast.

I recall spending considerable time getting it to make a squeak...

I stripped out the bits I liked and used those before moving onto doing my own esp32 sound (work in progress). I currently have 3 esp32's lined up on a board all with their own external dacs facilitating either 8,16 or 24 bit sound...

Are you using version 9.10.0? If you confirm the code version I'll have a look and see if I can provide answers to your questions..

And re the ESC - your Alien is a Rolls Royce compared to the Penny Farthing Hobbywing so I should worry about the ESC comment... I would suggest that the system has been well tested with the HobbyWing ESC and some testing may be needed to esnure all well (some adjustmnets may be requried) with output to Alien ESC

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 05:21:11 pm »

Also if I change the sound to "#include "vehicles/1965FordMustangV8.h"// 1965 Ford Mustang V8" I get no sound - (I have commented out the standard sound)

Hi  - where (which file?) are you uncommenting the vehicles/1965FordMustangV8.h so it gets included?

And to confirm my understanding with the vehicles/1965FordMustangV8.h active ( // removed) you get the Adler sound?

Have you tried pin 12 on esp32 for RX throttle link?

I will try and set up as system later to see if I have similar issues

Regards
C-3PO

TomF

• Full Mayhemer
    • 1 of 1 stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 01:37:55 pm »

Thanks C-3PO, your reply, for the moment I have parked the idea of using the ESP32 and bought a sound unit from China that looks like a clone of the Benadeni unit its a DasMikro unit and has probably all the functionality I need.
Interesting if anyone else has experience - it wasn't too expensive £58 inc USB prog cable, compared with the £200 units from Beier.

Thanks
1 of 1 stuff

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 02:06:02 pm »

Hi TomF,

Well, I must have spent 3-4 hours so far with the latest version and not a squeak.

I seem to get some very odd numbers (pwm from RX) in the serial monitor with the CHANNEL_DEBUG active.

I don't like things to beat me, especially when a lot of this is going over the same ground I have already traversed - maybe a note or two at the time would have helped :)

I will update you when I have cracked it - once I get the bit between my teeth......

I have had a lot of success with a solution - when the time is right I will publish my journey - 16 bit sound is very rich compared to the 8 bit solutions - puts the hairs up on the back of your neck type sound...

Perhaps with everybodies agreement the posts in this thread from 22nd October onwards should/could be split to a new thread "esp32 sound system" to preserve David's blog

Regards
C-3PO

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
ESP32 Sound System
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 02:14:30 pm »

Hi Both
Very happy for the ESP32 version notes to stay here if you like.  I've chickened out so far with the ESP32 approach, but would like to try it... And will add my notes here too.  I've been tied up with a few other matters, but back to building soon.  Would be good to hear how you get on 3PO...
David.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ESP32 Sound System
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 08:39:53 am »

Hi TomF,

I eventually got this working after some twists and turns...

If you are still interested I will document what I did so you can replicate...

For anybody who is interested.....

Below is a link to a video of THE DIYGUY999's sound system - it's pretty complex, highly configurable and a lot more than just a sound system - it also includes a complex light controller, chassis shaker amongst other things...

It can run on hardware that costs approx £20 and the code all available as a free download

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M98Z-btobd4

https://youtu.be/WX79daEoB6c

Regards
C-3PO

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 05:35:20 pm »

Hi 3PO

Would be interested to hear how you've got the ESP32 running. I'd like to start my own attempt as a slow burn winter project. I'd like to see / hear what  the system sounds like next to the original ATMega version.
Best regards
David.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 08:54:28 am »

Hi David,

Sorry for delay in responding - I will PM you and perhaps we can take it from there...

Regards
C-3PO
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.