Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 million downloaded these malicious extensions. Did you?  (Read 1748 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
3 million downloaded these malicious extensions. Did you?
« on: December 17, 2020, 07:04:15 pm »

***Suspect link removed***

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: 3 million downloaded these malicious extensions. Did you?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 07:35:50 pm »

maybe it's just me but when people issue internet warnings and all they post is a link it makes me not want to go any further.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 08:04:12 pm »

So What read or ignore

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 08:05:55 pm »

I don't think that anyone sensible would click on that link Jaymac.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 10:03:35 pm »

Just go to the zdnet website & search. There is an article there with this title although I have not tested the link above.
Fortunately most of the problems are social media which I don't do (apart from model boat forums!)

RST

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 10:31:11 pm »

I think Jaymacs intentions were good but the way the original post reads with no other text for me it's like "clickbait" or suspected spam.   Half of things I see like this anyway -theres almost as much talk about the suspected scam as there is in reality anyway, so afraid just tend to ignore.

One of the many reasons I don't touch social media I'm afraid. I reluctantly have a LinkedIn page but I was one of those members hacked a few years ago and my details went everywhere so I only check it 2 or 3 times a year now and ignore invitations through it.  It's changed into social media now anyway -nothing of interest in it for me any more.  Not that it was much use before anyway.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 11:15:54 pm »

Ok take your points  though it is not as if I am a new poster and  one could do as Tug did and check the website.
Also a simple PM from a moderator and I could  have confirmed ok.

RST

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 12:31:52 am »

Ok take your points  though it is not as if I am a new poster and  one could do as Tug did and check the website.
Also a simple PM from a moderator and I could  have confirmed ok.

There is a website I used to check hacks on my accounts but I can't remember which it was and most since have just been clickbaits.  That's how I know linkedin and talktalk security breaches for me -neither companies gave a rats ass about it at the time and talktalk continually down-grade security every update compared to a few years ago.  All this EU guff 2 part notification by SMS is just nonsense also because the security code appears on the phone before you have unlock it.  It was more secure when you entered a PIN as authentication.  Talktalk couldn't care les -which is appalling for a company supposedly trading in communications but no surprise. I managed to get RBS to change their security code texts so the supposedly secret code didn't get given away without putting phone PIN in but nobody else seems interested in that blindingly obvious security breach.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 01:47:58 am »

Just go to the zdnet website & search. There is an article there with this title although I have not tested the link above.
Fortunately most of the problems are social media which I don't do (apart from model boat forums!)

And many of these problems are targeting silver surfers. Often by hacking or spoofing Facebook pages and Youtube channels that attract older audiences.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RST

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 02:11:51 am »

And many of these problems are targeting silver surfers. Often by hacking or spoofing Facebook pages and Youtube channels that attract older audiences.

....not so sure.  I'm constanly amazed -everyone I kow has accounts registered everwhere so a domino effect when one of them inevtably gets compromised.  I'm the oppostite and with all this tech strive to reduce my footprint by one every year or "maintain" safe ones.
You're right with elder generation though:  Had to set my Mum up on Didital banking (with me authorised) and I keep saying to her NEVER EVER respond to an E-Mail for cash or the bank or anyone you "know" -phone me first!

davejo90

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 08:58:18 am »

My wife got an email from DVLC saying her tax on the car had run out and that she should get it as soon as possible. Clicking the link on the page she was taken to the site to input all the deatils...it was only when, after putting in her card details, it requested the sort code and bank account number that she stopped, even then she wasn't sure if she had actually pressed the send button, so she called the bank and got the card replaced and they told her that nothing had gone through the account.

I then reminded her not to click any link in any email whatsoever, always use the link saved in favorites (US spelling) or go on to Google and search for the site (then you have to be a little careful too). I also reminded her that she would have got a letter reminding her the tax needed renewing.

We are also getting phone calls at the moment tell us that there has been fraudulent transactions on our bank account, it goes on to say that bailiffs have been instructed to recover goods to the value of the amount and that I should press 1 in order to get this resolved.

As has been mentioned, the senior to us people who maybe have just taken the steps into the digital age are the ones who are most likely to get stung by these hateful people...note that I've kept that clean....as they are more trusting and don't have the knowledge most of us do.

I have to say that I have on occasion let a scam caller at the other end carry on and I pretended to follow instructions only to pretend during the process that "I don't know what that means" or "how do you do that" in the end they give up and ring off....I never press buttons to talk to anyone though, apart from the answer the phone of course  ;)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 09:59:25 am »

I then reminded her not to click any link in any email whatsoever, always use the link saved in favorites (US spelling) or go on to Google and search for the site (then you have to be a little careful too). I also reminded her that she would have got a letter reminding her the tax needed renewing.

And there will be a code in the letter which you input wnen you go to the DVLA website.

These scammers are really nasty and expert at catching you off guard.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.