Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bandsaw Recommendations Please  (Read 2631 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Bandsaw Recommendations Please
« on: December 21, 2020, 04:27:15 pm »

Hi All

Well my Proxxon bandsaw has gone to the great tool bank in the sky  <:(

I've had it a few years and it earn't its way but over the last few days I've been asking far too much of it and it died.

So I'm after a new more powerful bandsaw, but I'm finding looking on the internet a bit confusing so can you please help?  Firstly my biggest problem is space  :o   I have very limited space for my tools otherwise I would just buy a floor mounted saw.  So my criteria are

1.  It needs to be bench mounted
2.  It needs to be storable so nothing that needs a permanent fixing
3.  I want it to last a long time so nothing cheap
4.  I can go up to £600 - £700 if necessary
5.  I don't mind shipping from the USA

If you have any recommendations I would be most appreciative

Thanks Mark  :-))

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bandsaw Recommendations Please
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 07:59:28 pm »

I am very sorry for putting the black spot on your band saw Mark ,I bet you said when it went bang I was mentioned ,Its a market I have had no need to research ,as I work a Shopsmith . If you liked the Proxon maybe the new model has a better design and you know what you are getting.  I do not know what table saw you have sent on its holiday ,do thy do a band saw .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 08:36:47 pm »

I am very sorry for putting the black spot on your band saw Mark ,I bet you said when it went bang I was mentioned ,Its a market I have had no need to research ,as I work a Shopsmith . If you liked the Proxon maybe the new model has a better design and you know what you are getting.  I do not know what table saw you have sent on its holiday ,do thy do a band saw .
David

Hi David - great to hear from you mate  :-)   I've had my monies worth out of it but now I'm spending a few hours at a time on the band saw it just could not cope.  The top guide bearings over heated and it doesn't have any bearings on the lower guide.  Its a great tool I was just pushing it too far.  I did two blades in two days and thats expensive!  From what I've seen there is a generic saw that many manufacturers buy and then out their name too and their own price.  But essentially its the same saw so I'm confused as to which one to buy.

I've been looking at the Record Sabre 250 which seems to have bearings both top and Bottom, and seems to be well built.  It also has a 5 year guarantee.  I just don't know so I'll see what others say before taking the plunge.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 09:01:51 pm »

Hi Mark
I have the record BS9 but I'm not recommending it.

This looks like the same but with numerous improvements over the Record.
https://youtu.be/po6G9AzRQ6Y
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 09:12:55 pm »

Hi Andy  - Thanks for the reply.  Funnily enough I was at Axminster tools today in Nuneaton and the sales guy was trying to sell me this saw.

I explained to him that the guides needed to have roller bearings top and bottom and he was saying that the bronze bearings on this saw were as just as good.  He showed me it cutting through some 6" wood and it flew through but I wasn't convinced about the guides and its longevity.

The Sabre that I'm looking at has the bearing guides that I want and has a torsion bar to set the blade tension.  But it's quite big and the stand that is an extra is very big.  Having said that - my wife says that her company can make me a base that fits in our home which knocked me sideways  {-)   I must have done something right.

If Jim Byrnes made band saws I'd buy one in a heart beat but he doesn't  {:-{

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 10:38:21 pm »

3.  I want it to last a long time so nothing cheap
4.  I can go up to £600 - £700 if necessary

If you have any recommendations I would be most appreciative

Thanks Mark  :-))

Have you considered buying secondhand?

The reason I ask is that if you do a search on eBay for "Startrite Bandsaw" you'll find several well within your price range and they're fabulous, industrial quality machines that'll last a lifetime  :-))

I have had a "Startrite 352" from new which, being floor standing, wouldn't be suitable for yourself but they did make a bench mounted saw that's similar.

Just make sure, if you go this route, that it's a single phase machine as many are 3 phase.

(I guess it's testimony to the quality of the product that they were favoured by educational schools and colleges - so many of them are 3 phase).

Hope this helps,

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

Randy

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 10:45:59 pm »

Have a record rbs12 which is the fore runner to the 250,has been used and abused for about 20 years with no problems would recommend record

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 06:10:26 am »

I have one of the Rekord Sabre 250 siblings. Same saw, different badge.
The only complaint I had is that the top trust bearing mounting plate needed a little fettling when the 6mm blade was fitted. Basically it would not slide forward far enough, and so I needed to file the slot another millimeter or two longer.

I didn't buy the stand, but built a small cabinet on wheels and mounted it to that. Draws underneath for storage.

None of the 10" saws were suitable for bench mounting. Most 9" saws were small enough for bench work, but perhaps not big enough for cabinet making, but would work for modelling.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 09:46:20 am »

Thanks all for taking the time to reply.  It looks like I'll go for the 10" record saw as it has got very good reviews.  I've also heard back from Record and the base that is available for this saw has quite a small foot print.  It's only 640 x 480 at its biggest point which is the wheels.  Also as it has got wheels I can move it around my room nice and easily. 

I need to find a blue cloth cover for it now to hide it away when not in use so if anyone has a contact who makes covers could you let me know.  I think that there is quite a wait for this saw to be delivered but I'll put some pictures up as and when it arrives.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 10:13:02 am »

Custom Covers, Custom Canopies and Awnings by Cunninghams (cunninghamcovers.co.uk)

Hi Mark
I have just found this ,If it is any help
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 10:49:04 am »

Thanks David - I mentioned it to a family member who reckons they can knock me one up. Here's hoping  :-))

davejo90

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 08:42:46 am »

Hi Mark,

I've just seen this, not sure if it suits you better. Click here

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 09:23:46 am »

Hi Mark,

I've just seen this, not sure if it suits you better. Click here

Hi davejo90 - I've now ordered the Sabre 250 which is the upgraded version of the one in your link.  It has better guides, heavier and balanced wheels and a cam tensing system for the blade.  I had a bit of trouble finding one in the UK as Record are not expecting them in until February.  I managed to source one at D&M tools in London.

davejo90

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 01:36:57 pm »

Hi davejo90 - I've now ordered the Sabre 250 which is the upgraded version of the one in your link.  It has better guides, heavier and balanced wheels and a cam tensing system for the blade.  I had a bit of trouble finding one in the UK as Record are not expecting them in until February.  I managed to source one at D&M tools in London.

No problem.

I use D&M tools they are very quick delivery (in normal times) and easy to order.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 02:36:06 pm »

Well Santa came early to the Mark T house today.  I wasn't expecting this until the new year but my Record bandsaw arrived.  I've made up the base which has handy fold away wheels so I can move it anywhere I like.  My first impressions are very good - it looks extremely well made.  In fact it looks more of a tool than I paid for to be honest.  Its not professional / trade grade but I bet it's not far off.  I've ordered a couple of 6mm blades from Tuffsaw too as they were recommended to me.

I'll have a good study of it over the Xmas period and give it a good work out too. 

What a lovely way to end 2020 on  :-))

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 07:05:52 pm »

Hi, looking for a band saw myself and came across the one you have. Quck question, does it cut thinner hard wood ok? ie, 2-5mm?
grumpy old XXX

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 07:49:44 pm »

Yes I’ve cut some very hard wood on this saw now. It took a while for me to figure out the best way to set it up but now I can make some very thin cuts of indeed. A lot of it comes down to your choice of blade I prefer the narrow blades for what I do and there are loads of videos on YouTube on how to set the blades up. I have removed the clear guard that covers the top guides as I found that it gets in the way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.