Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Question About Timber Fenders  (Read 1657 times)

Black Shoe

• Shipmate
A Question About Timber Fenders
« on: December 22, 2020, 08:01:24 pm »

Back in the 1800's and early 1900's the fendering system on the tugs and riverboats of the time (tires {tyres :-) } hadn't come on the scene yet,) were timbers ranging from 6X6 to 8X8's and even larger judging from the photographs available. It appears these timbers were pierced towards the upper end and a cable or line passed through and made off inboard at a kevel or cleat. When the boat employing these fenders was in transient these timbers were brought up with the lower ends resting on the guards, then let down when coming alongside a barge or dock camel. I can understand pushing these off and allowing them to hang in position, but given the size and potential weight when these are saturated, how were they picked up?
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A Question About Timber Fenders
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 08:15:12 pm »

I have seen this form of fendering in use with small to middling size coasters, through the 1960/70;s. They were a cheap and effective fendering, also they were handy to stop vessels with rbber fendering etc hanging or catching under jetties.

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 10:16:49 pm »

Finally spoke with my Father, who crewed on an old Steam Tug back in the 1940's;

The timbers were anywheres from Railroad Ties, to 6" x 6" or 8" x 8" treated Timbers.

For the most part they just hung down over the Sides. Where usually left in place, unless on a long Distance Tow.

Each Timber did have a Painter Line. tied to the Bottom. This Painter Line could then be tied to a Block and Tackle, attached inboard and behind where the Timber was hung from. It then took brute Manpower, to winch the Timbers backwards and up.

A lot of work, so preference was to leave them in place.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 09:29:16 am »

They must have had their weetabix {-) {-) {-)

John

Black Shoe

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 08:02:14 pm »

Tug Hercules,

Thank you for your reply!

I hate to be a nuisance, but could I impose on you for some more info from your father?

Was there a tackle assigned to each timber, or one tackle that was moved? How did the standing part of the tackle fasten to the boat?
(I'm trying to envision a two or three part tackle operating over the cap rail.)

Thank you again!
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 09:22:06 pm »

They had a couple, portable 4 part/line Block & Tackles. The B&T was rigged to a small Cleat, inboard, below Cap Rail. Timber Painter Line was hooked to lower Block, slack taken out, and the Timber pulled up.

Several places had small cleats, several places had holes in uprights, where a Shackle could be used.

Each Timber had a Cleat or Shackle it hung from, afixed to inboard side of Bulwark.. The B&T, would be rigged to a cleat/shackle a couple of Timbers back or forward, of the one being lifted.

Because the B&T was aft from were Timbers were hung, they could pretty well pull a Timber up to the Cap Rail, then just muscle it over the Cap Rail, onto the Deck.

The Timbers would lay on the Deck, up against Inboard Side of Bulwarks.

To put them back down, same thing in reverse; B&T to get Timber back up and close to Cap Rail, then just muscle over Cap Rail and splash down to water.

He reall emphasized it was lots of muscle work, so preference was to just let them hang in water, unless pulling a Barge or Dredge on a long Tow..
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

Black Shoe

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 10:19:02 pm »

Excellent information! Thank you!

I am grateful for the effort you took to explain the "workings"!

:-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.