Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter Build – ‘Eliza Rose’  (Read 14656 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter Build – ‘Eliza Rose’
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2021, 06:13:04 am »

Dear Laker,

Just finished reading your entire thread and I must say that I am very impressed.  The timeless beauty of a Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter is something to behold.  Your workmanship is top notch and beautifully executed.  You must be very proud.  You have humbled and inspired me and I thank you for sharing.

Best regards,   Dennis

Laker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Visit Woodspring Model Sailing Club!
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2021, 10:16:22 pm »

Hello Dennis and thank you for the kind words.  The Forum is great for sharing these build stories around the world it is nice to be able to put something back in.  By the way, I am following your Cutty Sark story and looking forward to see it taking shape.  Many years ago I had the Revell plastic kit of her - the smaller one at 1/220 scale, but that has long since gone.  Yours will be much more impressive I'm sure.

Andy - if you are still reading this, I hope your 'Katie' model build goes well.  I would be interested to follow it if you choose to start a new thread for it on the Forum. 

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2021, 11:43:18 pm »

Thank you kind sir.  Oh yes, the Sark will be the kind of challenge that I need.  She will be a slow build for sure.  Already, there are many scale upgrades I will have to make to bring this kit up to representing this fine vessel as she needs to be.  So fortunate that there is now a ton of detail info on-line with pictures and authoritive books.  It should be a fun build.  I know that I'm doing over-kill with the balsa filler between bulkheads, but I have found this to be the best method for gaining a sound substrate for the single planking that I will be doing.  Someday, I would like to build a Bristol Cutter and even own a full size one!  I think that will have to wait until Heaven.  Be well, Dennis

AndyBiggs

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2021, 06:10:14 pm »

Hi - building Katie

I’ve “book marked” this thread, as it’s going to be an invaluable source of information.
So far I’ve bought a HS645S servo for the rudder and one HS785MG winch. I’m wondering if there will be space for two winches, one on the port side and the other on the starboard side. This would give a longer travel, as the winch system will be able to go up the side of the mast towards the bow. This hopefully will give enough travel for the front jib sheets, but aim still considering a lightweight easy to remove boom for inner jib. There must be a correct name for the two jibs rather than front and inner.

I’d like to make a winch system which is easy to remove/maintain, which might mean making the access hatch slightly larger. I think things will start off with some cardboard templates to mock up the rudder etc.

I’ll take some photos but need to finish the Moonbeam first and also learn how to upload photos here.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2021, 06:57:41 pm »

Hi Andy, you can make a winch system that is separate from the boat.  You construct the winch end and then use a half inch wide dowel of what ever length you want and the return pulley is located on that.  You can then push the pulley end in to a peg to locate it in the bow. 

Have loops or hooks on the wind in part of the string and attach the sail sheets with a small adjusting bowsies.  Make sure the sail sheets go over small pulleys so that they travel down the length of the winch line.
The winch end should have a locating screw to take the strain of the sails.  The other end does not have to be accessible perhaps a guide to firmly locate the end.
Good luck, hope it helps.
Roy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.