Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Civil War CSS Tennessee Build  (Read 4434 times)

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
Civil War CSS Tennessee Build
« on: June 16, 2008, 04:02:47 am »

Here are some photos of my work on Tennessee.  I call this step "making sausage" since its not the prettiest sight while hacking away the square corners of the hull side & bottom as I attempt to carve it to shape.  Granted a more traditional frame & planked hull would be more to scale appearance, but since this part is not going to be seen while on the water it's good enough for me.  :) 

Have much cutting & shaping to do tonight - the wife stole most of my "special day" to see friends in Hangzhou at a new "chess club" that bored the hell out of me. All I could do was make small talk, smile as they tried their best english on me as I drew rudder & skeg designs in my head...

The casement is essentially built & looks menacing covered with the paper templates used to cut out the patterns. Have ports/gun/spar deck vent openings to cut out as well as some minor filing before it will be covered with Evergreen V-groove  styrene to match the Confederate armor plate. Sub deck, side armor & planking is scheduled later this week once the hull more like the real thing.

Chuck

"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
Civil War CSS Tennessee Build, Part 2 of Scratch Building for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:25:30 am »

I wanted to share this lovely photo that a friend sent over the weekend to show that not every Civil War gunboat had to look like a slab of iron.  Some, such as USS Hunchback, a converted New York City double-ended paddle wheel ferry, had a lot of character & would make a nice subject to model. 

Note the two monitors in the background.  Any guess from the Civil War fans as to who they may be? 

Chuck

"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Civil War CSS Tennessee Build
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:11:34 am »

She looks as if she could dish it out, but I doubt if she could take much of it!

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 05:29:40 am »

Tennessee or Hunchback?  Actually, they both took a considerable amount of damage in their respective battles, CSS Tennessee during the Battle of Mobile Bay & USS Hunchback on the waters of North Carolina while on blockade duty & support of the Army's amphibious landings to capture Roanoke Island & New Bern, & later after much needed repairs, while on James River patrol duty in Virginia.  This converted ferry boat had a rather interesting past, & saw far more action than did Tennessee under both Confederate & Union flags.   Another thing she was known for was an integrated crew which was common on many Union ships.

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 02:24:37 am »

Got all the upper hull & deck parts roughly fitted to see what I have ahead of me   ::) I clearly see what the drawbacks can be using a 1/192 papermodel for my template - paper is much simpler to cut to proper size.  ;)

Great news - Steve L. informed me that he has received his batch of styrene rivet plate for the raft & hull, & was sending this out today.  Now all I have to do is find some .040 plain styrene for the decks & I'll get back to work on Manhattan (Canonicus).

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:43:57 am »

Hi Chuck,

Is the dark martial the "Evergreen V-groove  styrene"?
Does it come pre coloured?

I take it that it's going to be a static model.....?

Martin  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 10:23:24 am »

Martin,

No, those are my templates I made by enlarging a Bill Mahmood 1/192 paper model of Tennessee.  Looks pretty wicked at this point, but I'll peel it off before waterproofing the plywood & then gluing on my .040 styrene "armor plate".  Have been told Evergreen's V-groove pattern fits the bill, but I may get impatient & just score my own using locally obtained sheet.

No, both Tennessee & Manhattan (Canonicus) are going to be RC along with the rest of the fleet that I've got plans coming - all are 1/72 scale.   Once I get the side armor cut & hull to shape, I'll trim the sub deck so you'll see the access hatch that the casement covers.  Master plan is to have a few airsoft cannon mounted on her, along with smoke & sound, but we'll see...

Chuck
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.