Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Type 22 Frigate HMS Cornwall  (Read 15535 times)

The long Build

Re: Type 22 Frigate HMS Cornwall
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 04:32:08 pm »

Look like J2O , Not alcoholic , try Red Square Grapefruit. You never notice the Vodka , well not until later.

davidc

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 05:29:44 pm »

Foredeck is fitted and awaiting the rubbing down. I have built a test tank to ballast the models, note the laser leval. The guides for the batteries are superglued to the hull bottom./quote]
Hi, Davidc here keep the good work up with the very informative pics which are teaching me a lot! Couple of questions 1/ what voltage and amperage are the batteries shown 2/ can you explain the use and loacation of the "laser" level I do not appear to be able to see it.
Many thanks

Davidc

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 07:23:36 pm »

The batteries are 12v 2.1 Ah in parrellel. The laser leval is set up and aimed at a line going verically up the transom. You can just see it in the picture of the stern. It is just a guide to get the model ballasted when fitting the battery mounts. More pics this weekend!!!!

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 08:22:21 pm »

Some more of the Cornwall Build. Most of the work is around the stern, fitting the gangway down the side of the hanger and the Quarterdeck bulkhead. I will cut out the side recess after the upper deck is in place, this will make detailing and painting more difficult but it means it will be stronger. As you can see I am not an engineer but it will all look a lot neater when it is finished.

Holmsey

Sean

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2007, 09:05:42 pm »

Hello,
What are you using to affix the  wood beams to the hull? I have used waterproof epoxies but they take so long to dry. Anything else out there thats better. I have used stabilit express but its pricey here in the US.

Best Regards,
Sean

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2007, 11:25:24 pm »

The ones running down the hull are superglued on and then covered with resin. The cross beams are generaly waterproof wood glue or epoxy.

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2007, 09:30:55 pm »

Here are the latest pictures of the build. The quarter deck fittings are in place. The nettings will hide a lot of detail. A paint touch up and a spray of varnish and then on with the flightdeck.

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2007, 08:30:17 pm »

The latest pictures of Cornwall. I need to build the passagway down the side of the hanger before the hanger can be built up. The structure for the flight deck can be seen in the first picture, this will be clad in plastic strip. The fire recess has been cut into the structure and an infill will be fitted.

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2007, 01:03:23 pm »

The passageway alongside the hanger has been finnished and the deckhead and 01 deck fitted. The next phase is to build the basic structure for the two deck houses. I have started with the funnel housing. Note that it is double skinned so as to accomadate the various recesses that go along the base of the structure.

Admhawk

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2007, 02:18:33 pm »

Looking great!!! O0 But one question, what do the Finns have to do with the walkway? Is it lined with Reindeer pelts?  {-) :D ::)

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2007, 03:32:21 pm »

Dodgy spelling!!!!!!
So there is someone left here who is interested in grey ships.

Admhawk

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2007, 04:11:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure everybody comes back to check in. Gotta keep current, ya know!!  O0

Martin13

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2007, 10:29:38 am »

Holmsey,

After much deliberation, and advice from fellow forum members - HMS Cornwall will be the next boat I will build. I loved your thread on the Arleigh Burke build, lots of pic's and great information. I have also ordered the DDG.

Keep up with the thread and especially the pic's - I myself and others need all the info we can get.
I,m fairly certain others are watching your thread and may not be confident in making remarks...... O0 O0

Martin Doon Under :)

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2007, 02:22:21 pm »

Hi Martin
Give me your Email and I will send you the pics of Cornwall taken in Plymouth in October. I will also give you a few ideas of the differences I have found from the Jecobin plan.

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2007, 08:59:33 pm »

Some more pics of the funnel house. Weight is the big issue on this model, that's why the structure looks like a swiss cheese. Strangely skinning it over the strip has given it the hungry horse look. The cuts in the bottom are the recceses for fire equipment etc.

davidc

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 03:02:43 pm »

Please keep this going as I am learning so much about the construction of boats ( aircraft are EASY compared to what you are building!) I am still at a loss to understand how you set up the hull so it is in a horizontal plane, I assume you use the bow as a reference to get a vertical plain and the work from that ?  O0

davidc

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 04:01:28 pm »

Hi David
If you are refering to the picture with the laser leval I was just getting the batteries in the right place. I used a vertical mark on the stern and set the laser up in the vertical and shone it on the line.

What if any are you interesred in building?

Holmsey

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2007, 07:30:03 pm »

Hi
Here are the photos of the fwd superstructure. Same construction so as to make the curves and the recesses. Note the way to get a smooth curve with some scrap plastic strip clipped to the deck edge and cut along. Also the are two pics of the bilge keels, based on aluminium plate and filled out with P38

davidc

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2007, 05:26:17 pm »

Hi, I am looking at building HMS Campbelltown, probably biting of more than I should but with all the advise that is freely given I am sure I will succeed even if it takes a couple of years!. HMS Cornwall was the other option but as I served my apprentice ship at Cammel Lairds (many many years ago) and Campbelltown was built there it an incentive to go for her. So at the present time I am looking at your build and also reading as much as possible to learn how and why certain construction methods are used.

thanks for all the pictures of Cornwall that you post they are very informative and helpful.

Davidc

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2007, 12:50:07 pm »

The next stage is to fit the deck edges. The idea is that the whole centre deck will come off in two parts with the suprstructure attached to them. Note the slot under the front of the hanger to take the the rear deck. Camber is built into the side and centre decks with cross members. The fws bulkhead structure is also consructed.

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2007, 12:52:21 pm »

The hanger stucture is the next stage. To save weight the hanger door is going to be closed.

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2007, 12:54:31 pm »

Most of the main structure of the model is done, the flight deck sides and detail are on and I now have to fill and sand down untill happy and ready to paint.

Martin13

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2007, 10:34:49 pm »

Holmsey,

Am I seeing right!  ???
Are you using ply for the deck and superstructure? If so, what thickness material ?

Keep up the post as I'm always checking in on build.

Merry Christmas to you and your family

Martin from Down Under O0

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2007, 11:24:58 pm »

Hi Martin
Yes, that's correct 1.5mm ply, as supplied by PSShips. It works well with this model but I only did the decks of WSC with plywood. All the vertical structures will be clad in 0.5mm plasticard and detail added on top. You should be getting some cds soon!!!!!!!!!!

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2007, 04:00:26 pm »

This weekends work. I have clad the forward bulkhead and built up the Seawolf platform. Then added the fittings and handrails. Also I have been working on the bulwalks around the forecastle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.