Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PeterPan's AnnieHi Tug  (Read 5203 times)

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
PeterPan's AnnieHi Tug
« on: December 29, 2020, 06:06:28 pm »

I cant preview photos I attach so want to see what size they look like in a post befor starting a thread with photos.
Happy new year all.
Peter

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: PeterPan's AnnieHi Tug
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 06:07:17 pm »

Looks OK  :-))

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 06:13:35 pm »

Test 2

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 06:14:36 pm »

Bit Large but problem solved

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 08:20:17 pm »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 03:09:40 pm »

Test

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 03:27:31 pm »

There is something very wrong with these 2. They look very "flat". Have you done something with the aspect ratio?

Photos always look better if you crop them to only show what you are illustrating.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 03:40:48 pm »

Test 7b 3

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 03:51:54 pm »

That is exactly what I meant about looking better cropped although the quality of the image is poor. I am guessing that you have done that deliberately.

Perhaps if you tell us why you are needing to do all these test posts we can help. You seem to have been having difficulty for several months.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 04:27:21 pm »

Hello tug, many thanks for response. Its a bit of a long story.
Since lockdown I have been thinking about doing a build thread on my current project. Not having posted photos for along time and not being able to get the image server to work I started a thread “Attaching photos” and with the help of Stan established  procedure to resize pics in windows 10 photos and attach them to the post using Attachments and Options which is the system  he uses for his many posts. This works fine except the preview in my post window does not work.
In preparation for the build thread I have taken most of the photos I intend to use and resized them all the same in a separate file ready to attach them to the posts
Because I can not preview the photos on the posts I started this thread to see the size they appeared in a post and these are the first two pics which came out fine and gave me the info I needed.
Yesterday I started the thread Building Annie in Yachts and Sail and attached the first 3 pics to the first post which was fine and then 4 pics to the second post all from my resized file all no problems. I then attached 2 pics to the third post from the same file and they came out distorted. I had not changed anything.
My first reaction was that I had some how resized them wrong in the first place so I check and resized and posted them again but nothing seemed to work. Not wanting to keep adding useless photos to the tread I came back to this thread to test pics to see if I can find a solution.
The pics I posted here yesterday are a couple quick attempts to check changes  I made on pics in my resized file but it did not work.
The photos in my resized file are all the same as the ones I successfully attached to my first two posts on the build thread, (also as pick 2 above). But, it looks like the forum has now started to reverse the height and width settings of the photo  when posting it.
I will continue to use this thread to test any changes but will add a note as to what I have done.
Any help would by very much appreciated but the subject seems be an ongoing issue on the forum with no definitive solution and may be an inherent deficiency in the software. I sincerely hope not.
I do agree with your comment on cropping.
Sorry its so long.
Peter

RST

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 04:37:13 pm »

If it helps your sanity. Last time I posted 2 pics the forum distorted the second one of its own volition.  I triple checked everything and re-uploaded the originally distorted pic then came to the conclusion it was the forum software.  I think the second pic was a different aspect ratio -think the forum was stretching it to the same width as the first pic.  Must admit I didn't post up in the forum errors thread.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 04:38:55 pm »

Never had any pictures distort like that, just put 4 on with no issue and have added hundreds before with no issue so do not think there is any problem with the forum software, at least not for me. I use Pixresizer which will do 1 to Hundreds in one swoop

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 04:58:17 pm »

Hi Peterpan hope this helps been posted many times.

Stan.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 05:13:17 pm »

Hello tug, many thanks for response. Its a bit of a long story.
Since lockdown I have been thinking about doing a build thread on my current project. Not having posted photos for along time and not being able to get the image server to work I started a thread “Attaching photos” and with the help of Stan established  procedure to resize pics in windows 10 photos and attach them to the post using Attachments and Options which is the system  he uses for his many posts. This works fine except the preview in my post window does not work...........................................
I will continue to use this thread to test any changes but will add a note as to what I have done.
Any help would by very much appreciated but the subject seems be an ongoing issue on the forum with no definitive solution and may be an inherent deficiency in the software. I sincerely hope not.
I do agree with your comment on cropping.
Sorry its so long.
Peter
Peter
Lets take this slowly & sort out your problems.

1. You do not need to worry about the size of the photo too much. A picture with more pixels will appear bigger on the thread but only until it fills the available space with ways. If it is larger the forum will make it fit and it will nor change the aspect ratio (length to width). The advantage of them being bigger is that someone who is interested can click in the link ans see it bigger on their computer. If you look a the nice Lobster Boat picture that Stan has posted above you will see that it says that it is 1260 x 840 which is bigger than the forum puts in the thread (on my computer anyway). If you want to see it full size just click where it says "Lobster Boat.jpg" in blue and it will open full size. Somewhere around 1250 x whatever is appropriate to maintain aspect  ratio will be a good starting point.

2. The reason that your photos look odd appears to be that you have lost the aspect ratio. Resizing only works if you change both width and height by the same proportion. eg half original size. Most resizing software has an option of changing one and the other sets automatically. If you have it correctly set the resized photo should look exactly the same as the original with no distortion.

Is that true of all the photos that you have tried to post?

3. Changing the size should not noticeably change the quality. If it does we need to sort that out as well

4. I am not aware of anything in the image posting on the site that would distort a picture so lets sort out your answers to the above before we go there. Do the resized pictures when viewed on your computer before you post them look good?

I guess that they do as these are 2 of your distorted pictures.

I await your reply.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2021, 05:14:43 pm »

Thanks RST   Its good to know I am not alone  %%

RST

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2021, 06:09:44 pm »

Never had any pictures distort like that, just put 4 on with no issue and have added hundreds before with no issue so do not think there is any problem with the forum software, at least not for me. I use Pixresizer which will do 1 to Hundreds in one swoop

Never had a problem before either.  I'm not lying.  Actually thanks to Firefox, I just checked back and viewed on a separate browser window which confirms nothing wrong with the pic, or my re-sizing (it's childsplay resizing on windows).  Just the pic in the thread where the software seems to sretch it out.

It is a shame the forum doesn't allow attached pics in preview (or in PM's)...

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2021, 06:29:50 pm »

RST
Is this the photo that you mean?
I will prepare a little tutorial although it is all  very basic.
Back when I have doe it.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2021, 07:05:49 pm »

OK Here goes.

Firstly know exactly where your pictures are on you computer, make sure that you know what you have called them & make sure that they are in a format that the forum will accept and sized suitably. As I said before 1500 in the longer direction seems fine to me .

All 3 photos that I reposted were .jpg and I did nothing to them. I simply save them to my computer and reposted them having cropped a couple of them a little.

This is how I post pictures and I have never had an aspect ratio problem. Try it and let us see what happens.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 07:06:42 pm »

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 07:07:04 pm »

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2021, 07:07:29 pm »

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 07:07:50 pm »

5 & last

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 07:08:46 pm »

Good luck.

PS if you want to save an image from the forum just right click on it a select the 4th option "Save image as...." Select where you want to save it & left click "Save"

Everything on my Windows 10 PC.

If it works please tell us what you did differently that resulted in your getting it wrong as posting picture problems come up frequently.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2021, 07:12:44 pm »

Thanks Tug The two photos look good,I will go through your response and reply fully tomorrowPeter

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2021, 07:43:20 pm »

Great work TF!   :-))

... other photo options here:
  https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61103.0.html

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.