Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PeterPan's AnnieHi Tug  (Read 5119 times)

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: PeterPan's AnnieHi Tug
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 03:59:35 pm »

Hello Tug.  First can say many thanks for a very in depth and helpful response.With this information I have spent some time double checking what I am doing. It has revelled a number of things outlined below but nothing at the moment  that answers why it is happening here and apparently not to the majority members using the same method.
Its very useful to know I don’t have to worry about the size it appears in the post.
I always understood that picture size had to be less than 800 x 6000 to be posted on the forum and so I am resizing my pics by changing dimensions.When I resize in windows 10 I open the original photo, right click  and get the widow attached. This is the window for the original  Pic 9 before any changes. With the maintain aspect ratio ticked I change the width and the height is done automatically. I leave quality at its 80% default setting.   
On pic 9 I resized the width to 550  and it changed height to 978 which I saved into my resized file and used to post here which came out distorted. This is also the size shown when you added it to this post undistorted  but if you look at the distorted picture which I posted it has switched the width x Hight  around to 978 x 550 which explains the distortion. It also appears to have done the same to pic 8aa  and it is what has happened to the distorted photos posted in the Building Annie thread.
 I think the above shows that I am resizing correctly and they do all look the same as the originals. All the posted photos have been resized the same way. What I have realized is that all my photos (which were not taken with a build post in mind) have been taken portrait and will definitely benefit from some cropping and also are very big files. Original pic 9 was 2988 x 5132  3.02mb.
 I think this shows what happened but obviously not how and particular not why on Building Annie I posted 7 pics successfully and then it started to change the next 2 identically resized  pics,
 There have only been a total of 11 distorted posts of 4 photos so I think my next move ( subject to any comments) will be to select some photos from different sources, resize them with different settings and post them here and see what happens.
 Cheers Peter

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2021, 04:37:14 pm »

Quick update.Just spoke to Stan who explaned different way to resize in windows 10 which may not have the same problems  :-)) :-)) :-)) I will be testing outCheers

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2021, 04:56:44 pm »

Are you sure that it is a resizing issue.
Remember that I downloaded the photo, which looked awful, from here and saved it to my computer & then simply reposted it. I did not resize it at all & it went from being badly distorted to absolutely fine. To me this means that the photo is fine but there is a problem with how you posted it.
I might have misled you in that I did crop your image a bit.

Below is a test for me of a tall narrow photo (sorry about the subject but I wanted something tall & narrow)
Edit: That seems fine

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2021, 05:07:48 pm »

OK so now to look at Photo 9.
I am going to post it twice. The first will be saved by me to my computer and then simply reposted. The second will be downloaded as before and then resaved.

Edit - wow that is interesting. Both appear perfectly normal on my computer. The only difference is that I opened and then resaved "Pic9 resaved" which I did not do with "Pic9 Original".
Somewhere here is you problem
I will have a think

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2021, 05:15:23 pm »

"maintain aspect ratio ticked"   :-))

.... something weird with image bellow, I saved from the page and looked at it... it is the right ratio, so no idea what going on there!

As you can see, re-posted, all OK ????

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2021, 05:21:51 pm »

NB: What is the boat you're building?   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2021, 05:28:41 pm »

Hi Martin see Building AnnieHi Tug just doing test pic if ok may have explination to my problemCheers

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2021, 05:30:23 pm »

Martin

If you take the photo that you saved & do nothing at all to it but repost it you will find that it is distorted. If you simply hit save & over write the original it then posts perfectly.

The problem must be in how the resizing software saves the file - it must surely be in a format that our computers can deal with but the forum cannot even if it is called a .jpg.

Peter
Looking good. What have you done differently?
What are you using for resizing? Windows has various options that have changed over the years. I don't think that this forum likes whatever you are using.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2021, 06:11:32 pm »

Topic renamed   &  Merged :-)

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2021, 06:58:05 pm »

Hi Tug apparently it has been renamed ???????

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
Re:this thread
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2021, 07:27:40 pm »

Hi TugHi Tug was in the middle of replying and my internet went down. Apparently its been merged witha Martin topic.I managed to find it and it has been renamed??????????    PeterPan's AnnieHi Tug and now in Vessals
Got following email
A topic you are watching has been merged with another topic by Martin [Admin].
 View the new merged topic at: https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=66121.new;topicseen#new
 Unsubscribe from this topic by using this link: https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=notify;topic=66121.0
Help

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2021, 07:53:30 pm »

Sorry about that... all here now.....   

.... on with the build.   :-))

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2021, 08:06:21 pm »

The problem with the images may be their size. Some of them are 60Kb which is very low resolution. I try to keep my images to around 500kb, that will keep almost all of the high resolution clarity.
The smaller that you resize an image the less detail it can retain. If you work on standard screen resolution being 72 pixels per inch you can quickly figure out what size you need. Print resolution needs to be 300ppi.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2021, 08:46:00 am »

Peter
You could try what I did which is simply to resave the image for a second time after you have resized and saved the resize. If that doesn't work then given what we now know I think that the problem is with the resizer having an incompatability with the forum. You need to try a different resizer

Martin lists alternative resizers in the 2nd & 3rd posts here:
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61103.0.html

Personally I use Irfanview which I use for all my photo processing and is a very popular free tool. Like everything you learn to use it but I find it invaluable.
https://www.irfanview.com/

Steve makes a point about the file size. I doubt that it makes much difference to the forum software but the quality of 7b is very poor. I am not sure how you achieved that when the others are so good.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2021, 02:52:37 pm »

Hello Tug. After posting Pic “Paint resized” yesterday I was in the middle of trying to send this post when internet went down.
I think I may have found an answer.
After talking with Stan I realised that his IT guy had set windows 10 up on his computer for his photos to go straight into paint when he selects them which we know is a stable platform for resizing and posting on the forum. He has never had a problem.
As far as I was concerned I have been using the same procedure but have checked and find that when I select a photo to resize it seems to take me into a resizing app in Photo.
Paint, which is an old MS app is still there but to use it I have to open it first. Then the procedure is the same as Stan’s.
So, this photo app is resizing  my photos OK  but could be allowing random width x height switches when posted.This could explain why when you upload the changed pic to the resized pic on your computer and then post it back it is fine. Also I wonder if other members who have the same problem are perhaps resizing with this MS app.
I am no IT expert and this is a lot of conjecture but have attached  a couple more Paint resized test pics to test Cheers
PS   A brief cautionary tale.
I am using a new laptop which came with window 10S which supposedly is more secure but turns out to be a bit like Apple, restricting you to Microsoft approved apps which MS say makes it more secure There was an opt out back to normal window 10, which after much agro I managed to do but it still tries to force me into the software it wants you to use.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2021, 02:55:36 pm »

I cropped this pic

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2021, 04:38:23 pm »

Hi Martinis it possible to put this thread back into Chit Chat as Photo Test ?CheersPeter

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2021, 04:52:45 pm »

Testing pic cropped in paint

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2021, 05:14:48 pm »

Hi Martinis it possible to put this thread back into Chit Chat as Photo Test ?
 Cheers, Peter

Yes, can do..... but why?
 Aren't you finishing the build?

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2021, 06:04:35 pm »

Now photos sorted will be going back to carry it on.
Will put a note on explaining the distorted pics (dont think I can remove them) and refering anyone interested to this thread.
Just got to resize all my pics on paint first  :}
Cheers

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2021, 07:22:59 pm »

I am glad that you worked that out. It isn't exactly an obvious answer although we had got to the right place. Like you I am an amateur & struggle my way to an answer that works.
Looking forward to the build.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2021, 10:50:37 am »

Hi Tug.  Definitely would not have got there without your encouragement and input.

Many thanks.

Peter

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2021, 04:12:21 pm »

Test

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2021, 09:50:33 am »

Test I started the hull painting in Sept 2020. I have access to a large barn with overhead infrared heaters and I decided to use Halford’s spray cans for all painting.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2021, 10:07:30 am »

Just another quick test
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.