Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adelaide Build  (Read 2251 times)

vk2dj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Adelaide Build
« on: December 30, 2020, 06:09:27 am »

Hi All have recently resumed work on the Adelaide build started in 2015 then set aside for other projects the paddle wheels
were the hold up i drew them up in AutoCad & had them water jet cut saved a lot of work on the mill at the moment it is electric motor
driven with proportional drive to aide in steering working on the detail items at the moment
I have since decided to have a go at building the original steam engine which is unique to the Adelaide i did not want to put a generic
steam engine   working on the AutoCad drawings at the moment the basis of which i have taken of the Float ABoat drawings which gives
only the basic outline i have to fill in the missing parts working of photos of the original

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Adelaide Build
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 08:43:10 am »

Folks.....I have seen this model, and the photographic images do not do the correctness of scale or quality of build justice  :o

Our PS Adelaide ON-38805 - as a true scale build is absolutely problematic........

At 1:24 scale, the boiler shell [as drawn] would need to be some 310 long x 70 diameter and with the twin cylinder mounted locomotive style on top

These dimensions are I understand beyond the general scope of design for a [single ended] gas fired boiler

Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 09:59:50 am »

For the interest of Mayhemers.   The Adelaide is the oldest working wooden paddle steamer in the world built in 1866.   She is based at Echuca on the Murray River in Victoria.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 11:59:15 am »

Your photo of the wheel with some floats added seems to have the floats in front of the spokes. Would it not be better engineering to have them behind the spokes as this way the forces when in use will push the floats onto the spokes. When fitted your way the floats will be pushed off of the spokes by the forces with all of the stress on their fittings.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

vk2dj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 07:48:18 pm »

G’day Jim the wheel paddles were only just sitting there for the pic still waiting on some 2 mm screws to make the 56 j bolts to mount properly

vk2dj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 06:00:01 am »

Progress on the Adelaide's  paddle wheels now finished & mounted on the hull still a few J bolts short progressing on upper deck detail

vk2dj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 08:43:36 am »

G'day All i have been trying to  build a scale version of Adelaide's engine did a trial fit to the hull today , i will have 2 mounting plates 1 for electric drive
the other for the steam engine i have hade to widen the spacing of the cylinders to make room for the slightly larger than scale boiler i am at the moment designing the valve gear as there no drawings available it will be a bit of trial & error to get it right
Gary

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 10:21:01 am »

Looks amazing
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

vk2dj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 07:21:36 am »

G'day Gentlemen had a float test on the Adelaide today ,have been working on the detail got to a stage where its started to look like the real thing so i thought its time to launch it still got to put in some more ballast to get the correct displacement

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 07:39:48 am »

Pretty good rendition of the colour of the River Murray   {-)  .....looking forward to see the engine installed & thrashing about  :-))

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

vk2dj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 11:18:47 pm »

I have loaded a short video of the first powered test on the Model Boat Mayhem Facebook page for any one interested,my fish pond is a bit small but was able to check out the drive system I am using a Sabertooth 2 x 12A
Motor controller also test my sound system only the whistle for the moment not the correct sound but as yet I have not been able to get the correct sound ,I intend to add the paddle wheel sound while running to hide the geared motor sound

vk2dj

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Adelaide Buildo
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 11:25:28 pm »

Had my first real run of the Adelaide last weekend we were at at a Model train event which has a lake in the middle of the track due to recent rains the lake was full perfect excuse to give the paddler a run it preformed perfect happy with the way it ran ,still got some detail to do I have also a sound system I developed for the Adelaide at the moment I only have whistle sound
I now have the paddle wheel sound which I will try out on the next run to add a bit more realism

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 12:02:18 am »

Nice river [like] pond up there Gary.....& this turning circle is pretty good for a Paddler  :-))  ..... Derek

[no rope-assisted 3 - point turns here.......but when her steam plant is installed things will be different  %) ]
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 08:38:12 am »

What a beautiful and detailed boat, looks great on the water! I have been following your engine build topic and only now discovered this one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.