Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dust extraction query  (Read 4108 times)

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
Dust extraction query
« on: December 30, 2020, 10:04:04 pm »

Hi folks.

What do most people use as dust extractors. A hoover or a dedicated dust (chip) extraction system?

Declan

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dust extraction query
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 09:45:10 am »

I use a wet / dry vacuum, i believe its an industrial vax, bought second hand at the local boot fair for £5, its a bit noisy, but has a reasonably sized dust collection chamber so only needs emptying occasionally, a spare length of hose attached allows it to reach most places, for the workshop area further away i use a second hand hetty vacuum, though thats more in a conventional role as chip pickup.

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 11:27:53 am »

Cheers.

Was thinking of a wee hetty, nothing too big as the shed isn’t that big (11’ x 9’ internal) and easy enough to pack away out of road.  :-))

Declan

I use a wet / dry vacuum, i believe its an industrial vax, bought second hand at the local boot fair for £5, its a bit noisy, but has a reasonably sized dust collection chamber so only needs emptying occasionally, a spare length of hose attached allows it to reach most places, for the workshop area further away i use a second hand hetty vacuum, though thats more in a conventional role as chip pickup.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 12:11:04 pm »

thats bigger than my shed, everything is on wheels and leaves a space about 3 foot square to work, when i need tools they are wheeled into the middle for access. that includes the bandsaw, table saw, thicknesser and pillar drill.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 03:43:27 pm »

Hi Declan - I use a Bosch Gas 20 wet and dry vacuum for all of my machines and it works very well indeed.  I use hepta filter bags inside it and they need changing probably once every 6 months.  Bear in mine though I do cut a lot of wood.

The only down side is like most vacuums  its quite noisy so I just put my AirPods in and listen to music when I'm machining.

I don't know if you can still get them but Andy (Taranis) sorted mine out for me from a place in Poland for a really cheap price.  It was delivered within 48 hours from there as I remember.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 04:53:34 pm »

Hi Declan - I use a Bosch Gas 20 wet and dry vacuum for all of my machines and it works very well indeed.  I use hepta filter bags inside it and they need changing probably once every 6 months.  Bear in mine though I do cut a lot of wood.

The only down side is like most vacuums  its quite noisy so I just put my AirPods in and listen to music when I'm machining.

I don't know if you can still get them but Andy (Taranis) sorted mine out for me from a place in Poland for a really cheap price.  It was delivered within 48 hours from there as I remember.

Imports from Poland are now subject to VAT &, if applicable, import duties. Both + collection fees. You might get it tax free in Poland however as an export.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 05:57:22 pm »

Poland has been in the EU since 2004 and VAT has always been charged. As our trading agreement is unchanged there are still no import duties to my knowledge. However I do not remember where I purchased it from now.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 06:43:36 pm »

Poland has been in the EU since 2004 and VAT has always been charged. As our trading agreement is unchanged there are still no import duties to my knowledge. However I do not remember where I purchased it from now.
As of Midnight to night they change.
Prior, the vat was at the Polish rate.
Now its Value of the cost of goods. If £135+ import tax at 2.5% add. Then the cost of Postage add. Then 20% vat on that total and then £8 royal mail fee added. Poland will be able to sell it to you with out polish Vat.
Note if the cost is between £15 and £135 you may find company's do not want to ship to the UK as they have to register with HRMC. Software cost a lot as TAX is collected as source between these values. IE the shop charge you all the tax and send it to HMRC.
Yes welcome to the HMRC nightmare.
John

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 06:48:20 pm »

Interesting thank you John.
I won't be buying another  {-)

EDIT
I noticed yesterday that Reichelt.com Germany have dropped UK from their shipping destinations
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 07:07:29 pm »

My apologies to TF for my misunderstanding your post
ANDY

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 07:13:45 pm »

My apologies to TF for my misunderstanding your post

No problem. I think that we are all going to find a lot of problems as we enter the promised land. Hopefully some issues might get resolved when everybody actually knows and understands what is happening.

I looked at the Reichelt website. We must be about the only country they don't trade with.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 07:58:42 pm »

No problem. I think that we are all going to find a lot of problems as we enter the promised land. Hopefully some issues might get resolved when everybody actually knows and understands what is happening.

I looked at the Reichelt website. We must be about the only country they don't trade with.

The reason is due to the farce that HMRC has done on the quiet .
Good with the value of between £15 and £135 now have to be taxed at source. Not at UK customs as like before. Over seas company MUST register with HMRC. To do this must use software.  While I dont all the cost, they vary. To give you an idea 350 euros  for the software and 1500 euro yearly subscription.  A yearly subscription to Microsoft office is about £30 aprox .
So in short a lot of company's have said it not worth the cost or hassle to register with HMRC.
Had HMRC stuck with the old system that worked for years this would not have been happing .
John

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 08:23:21 pm »

Is that the whole world or just part of the EU agreement. I can't see that the Chinese, for example, would have any interest in this.

Are they simply going to confiscate anything that doesn't comply?

It wasn't that long ago that you could have a package of £35(?) without anything to pay but then it went down to £15 as too many people were getting packages without paying VAT.

This is just the next step in making sure that they get our money.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 09:02:20 pm »

Is that the whole world or just part of the EU agreement. I can't see that the Chinese, for example, would have any interest in this.

Are they simply going to confiscate anything that doesn't comply?

It wasn't that long ago that you could have a package of £35(?) without anything to pay but then it went down to £15 as too many people were getting packages without paying VAT.

This is just the next step in making sure that they get our money.

This is what I have read on HMRC website over several pages . I am no expert on this.
I would seam to be the whole world but I stand to be corrected.
Goods shipped from a private person to a private person are not affected by this on line registration. This only applies from a business to a customer 
From what I been told by several people in Europe who have looked in to this. The shipper would not accept the goods as they would be responsible for return costs . Note information on this is very thin on the ground.
China was always considered a developing nation. This meant they had a higher free tax threshold than say the USA. I dont know if this has changed.
It has always been about £15. £39 was the gift free tax limit.
What I can say a lot was changed on the quite.
John

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 09:08:07 pm »

I think that you will find the £15 limit is only a few years old and was higher. A George Osborne change I seem to remember. I think it was £18 in 2011 but I think higher than that previously.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 09:17:27 pm »

I take your word for it. As it been over 5 years since I got any thing from the US due to the way tax and tax upon tax is wacked on.
To try and offer a ray of hope. To night will be day 1 . Hopefully in time HMRC will take an easier approach and allow the old customs delectation form. Once this get out in to main stream media a lot of people will be annoyed as they can not shop over seas were they use to. Maybe the government might listen or offer free software etc. Only time will tell.

John

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 09:29:26 pm »

I will make or break the system on the 6th when I try to place an order with Knupfer in Germany
ANDY

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 09:53:40 pm »

I have just looked on ebay for battery welders (over £15). If you are in the US there are lots from China. If you are in the UK they are all UK sourced and. as usual much more expensive.

Sounds like the new HMRC regs do apply to China

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 10:31:41 pm »

Hi folks.

What do most people use as dust extractors. A hoover or a dedicated dust (chip) extraction system?

Declan

I use a Hot Ash Vacuum Cleaner. Great suction and cheap as chips.
A little noisy but quite acceptable.
Just put the foot part of a pair of tights over the filter to make it even better.

Mike.

mikew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 08:25:42 am »

Interestingly I've tried ordering from HobbyKing (Eu) over the last few days, they wont accept the order.
That's the only place that has the stock I want.
Mike

RST

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2021, 08:43:49 am »

I was at the post office this week and lady next to me was trying to send a parcel out the country. They wouldn't take it, no parcels leaving UK due to co-vid.  That might have had something to do with it also, probably a backlog since which might be complicating things still?  No wonder folk might not want to sell to UK at the moment though. Can't even figure out myself how I'm going to be able to run my business next year.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 09:36:26 am »

Does this mean that if I can find a company willing to ship to the UK for a package £15-£135 I can expect the price to include all UK taxes & that it should just be delivered without the previous problem of tax collection & admin fees?

Are packages going to have some sort of identifying number(?) to ensure that the regs have been complied with & that HMRC will get its money?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2021, 10:28:36 am »

Does this mean that if I can find a company willing to ship to the UK for a package £15-£135 I can expect the price to include all UK taxes & that it should just be delivered without the previous problem of tax collection & admin fees?

Are packages going to have some sort of identifying number(?) to ensure that the regs have been complied with & that HMRC will get its money?

HMRC website is a nightmare. On the lower limit one page shows £0 as the start and 2 pages show £15. Yer even HMRC dont know LOL.
Like I have said information is thin on the ground.
From what I have read and understood . If you are ordering non tariffable  good between £15 and £135 you will be taxed at source. So your parcel should arrive on your doorstep with no additional charges.
Note Ebay.Com (USA) has been offering this service for some time. When you back worked out there charging EBay.com were not doing for love.  It was often cheaper to get it shipped and have taxed payed in the UK.
To put the problem in to reference. If a shop overseas sends a 100 parcels a month ever month to the UK. He adds about 3  euros per parcel he wont be making any money. This is all down to HMRC computer system .
As other poster on this thread are saying they can not get shipping to the UK ,it would seam to back up what i have read.
I was speaking to a friend who works in retail in Europe. He say for over seas orders all over the world except the UK is no problem. They have a stock of customs forms which can be got at there post office. They fill in the form 5 min and then post it.
For them to ship to the UK it would be expensive and a nightmare. So at them moment they wont ship to the UK. They are looking at possible restarting with orders over £135.

One option for people who want to buy overseas is. Find a forwarding company in the country of were you want to buy the goods.
Shop sends to them normal P/P charges . Then the forwarding company will ship to the UK but charge you accordingly
John 

John

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2021, 10:43:12 am »

I really do find all this hard to believe (but that doesn't stop it being true).

It seems to be part of a very mistaken UK obsession that the rest of the world is desperate to trade with us & will do anything necessary to make that happen.

I can't see HMRC going back on this as they are not really interested in small packets getting through easily or cheaply.

I have been having a look at the Banggood website and if I compare a £20 item delivered to the US or the UK there is little difference and certainly not enough to cover 20% VAT on items sold to the UK

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2021, 11:27:29 am »

Over the recent years the process has become easier and quicker.
I was below the vat threshold so applied online to  HMRC for a TURN.
A pseudo TURN, for one off parcels, would come very quick.
You'd reply with this TURN, or pseudo TURN, if you got an email notification your parcel was in customs and it then got clearance for the courier to deliver. There would be no delay if was on the parcel invoice. The first numeric part tells HMRC you are not vat registered. 
Some years ago TURNs became EORI numbers https://www.gov.uk/eori
The bigger mail order suppliers (e.g. Digikey corp.) would do the vat addition beforehand and you wouldn't need an EORI  or TURN in that case.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.