Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tid Tug build  (Read 20135 times)

Stavros

Tid Tug build
« on: October 13, 2007, 06:50:31 pm »

Tid tug build at last me got one thanks to Keith sorry I have deleted you from my in box and don't know your user name!!!!!!
Right well that's over Wit,having gone up to Oldham to collect this lovely tug was I impressed I was and still am smiling what a well built hull and part built superstructure,apparently this hull was started 10yrs ago with the intention of installing a Steam plant but it turned out to be too small!!!!so undeterred Keith built a bigger,this hull is 41ins long as it is.anyway the build starts here.Having acquired a plan from one of our members in 1:24 slight problem as the hull is in 1:20th so as you can imagine maths had to be used as I had to measure form plan multiply by 24 than divide by 20 to get the right size!!! so many an hour was spent with a calculator.Oh why cant model building be simple.
All the hatches doors water tanks etc were marked out and cut sanded etc prior to fitting out on the superstructure,carefully glued into place.Now me being a tight fisted so and so(must have yorkshire descendants)needed rivets fro the water tanks and inspection hatcheds and no way was I going to pay £7 for a pack of glue on plastic ones so a cunning plan was hatched,dressmakers pins were used cut down and the holes drilled for them,what a blooming chore but the results I think are satisfying,Thanks to Barty230 for that one.
My shopping list for the Blackpool show was growing by hate day till I remembered about some fittings I had bought off fleebay yippee one steam winch and tow hook bollards and portholes later sorted now list very small,so the traders at this show wont get a lot out of me!!!
Right piccies as follows of progress so far

1 Hull ready for work
2 Hull waterline marked
3 Superstructure
4 Rivet Detail
5 Hatches
6 Front view
7 Stbd side
8 as above

Stavros

Stavros

Re: Tid Tug build
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:03:14 pm »

The hull has now been rubbed down masked up and red primer from Halfords applied to represent antifouling,superstructure has had 2 coats of sansding sealer applied and any blemishes will now be filled and more sanding sealer is going to be applied.
A Graupener steam winch was found in the spares box which lo and behold was the right scale and also form the same stable was a tow hook hitch has been built and sprayed black prior to weathering and detailing.All painting techniques are the same as in th build thread of the Billings Waverly in the paint section,any question just ask and I will try yo help

Stavros

9   Detail on water tank
10 Waterline masking
11 Rudder
12 Masked up ready to apply antifouling
13 Antifouling applied
14 as above
15 Winch built up from Graupener kit
16 Towing hook Graupener

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 08:33:50 pm »

I like the shape of the hull Stavros O0 The superstructures coming along nicely, Good idea for the pins....does indeed look like rivets! Have you decided what colour your going to paint it yet?

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 09:11:10 pm »

Yes it's going to be the same as Tid 164 at Chatham dock yard Black hull red deck yellowish superstructre and rust!!!!! if I get it right

Stavros

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 09:22:32 pm »

Stav,
The Superstructure and inside of the gunwgales are Humbrol No 7, yes I know you use halfords paint, but might be worth getting some and painting a small amount for colour matching.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 09:49:45 pm »

Excuse my ignorance but what colour is Humbrol NO 7 is it a yellowish colour.Havnt got a colour chart for Humbrol Bob cheers

Stavros

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 10:09:35 pm »

My chart in the Squires catalogue lists No 7 as Gloss Light Buff - brownish yellow.

Colin

-KEMO-

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 10:26:55 am »

Hi Stavros,
              go to     www.modernmodels.com/Humcont.htm     for colour chart.

Keith.

charvey

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 11:33:34 am »

I think the guy who owns TID 164 is developing his website, it seems to have more on it now than a few months ago.  Still interesting though: http://www.tid164.co.uk/index.html

Chris

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 11:58:32 am »

Stavros,
I could bore you about the history of the colouring, but it is the same colour buff as the old wooden navy, ie Victory.
the old PAS, then RMAS.
I have tried the actual ships paint (as I am still with them right now) and it looks wrong, but No7 is spot on.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

-KEMO-

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 01:09:46 pm »

Hiya,
       I have started a TID tug build, TID 90 which was attached to RNAD Milford Haven, where I live.
it is the same livery as TID 164 but the funnel has red and white banding as well, Tid 164 would have had the same funnel colour when it was stationed at Rosyth.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 01:16:20 pm »

KEMO,
The red funnel banding was for Naval Armament Vessels, or any attached to a Naval Armament Depot.
In PAS Harbour tugs had a blue banding, and a blue banding just below the gunwhale capping outboard.
On this size of tug a 2 inch banding.
rmasmaster is a mine of information about the markings, they were a bit before my time!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

-KEMO-

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 02:03:04 pm »

Hiya,
      yes RMASMASTER PM'd me rcently and quoted:

" During hostilities only, sea going craft were painted overall grey with no distinguishing bands etc, harbour craft which included all TID's were painted as in peace time, which was buff upperworks and funnel with black hull and gunwhales. The funnels where all about 18 inch black top with a 3 inch  white band, 9 inch red band and a 3 inch white band. In peace time the sea going section red band was 18 inch's not 9 as for harbour craft. The gunwhales had a white band which was carried by harbour craft at all times but not by seagoing craft when painted grey.
Prior to the inception of the PAS, the CD tugs had azure blue bands, the victualling craft which included water boats where green bands and oilers where brown bands.
It gets a bit confusing because I believe , though not totally sure that the Dockyard ports during PAS had there own distinctive colour on the gunwhales for each port, Chatham was for sure azure blue as I joined the PAS service in 1974."

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 07:46:57 pm »

Thanks for all the info lads Humbrol no7 is the colour I had thought of which is a Ford colour called codarba beige

Satvros

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 08:00:43 pm »

It's Cordoba Beige. I thought it was just about the nastiest colour in the Ford range when I was ordering a new Capri 2.0S in late 1980, so I went for Venetian Red.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 09:55:35 am »

Dave,
I said I wanted the TID to go to a good home and it certainly did!
The progress is impressive and leaves my 10 years in the shade. I shall follow progress closely and no doubt pinch a few ideas, may even post some pics of the 1/19 scale version.

Good luck,
Keith (mrsgoggins)
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 07:10:42 pm »

Thanks for the compliment Keith If you are going to the Blackpool show it WILL BE THERE on the Gwynedd Model Boat Group stand hopefully resplendant in the hull colour of balck and red(well I hope it will)

Stavros

splodger

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 10:11:13 pm »

Is the hull fibreglass Stavros? It looks like the 1/20th scale one that Kingston Mouldings used to make to me.

Stavros

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 05:12:03 pm »

Well spotted but it has been put right transom and rubbing strake have been corrected

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 07:37:39 pm »

Right more progress Hull tonight was masked up and before you all jump down my throat yes I did use newspaper due to me forgotten to get some proper brown masking paper from Brown Bros.Where was I yes firstly grey primer was applied to the hull and left to cook for an hour,cook I hear you ask well it was put in front of a super ser for that time!!!And before anyone asks of course I turned it off before I sprayed the black hull colour on ME not stupid,nobody answer that.Another hour in front of heater to cook.Primer was then applied to the superstructure no filler was applied to the gap,reason fro this I wanted something to highlight any gaps etc this will be applied in a couple of days allowing the primer to fully harden.
Although it has been sprayed in it's hull colours allready it will be redone when all the work has been completed,reasoning behind this simple it is bound to be scratched etc and anyhow more paint more protection

Piccies

17 Just to show you what I used,grey primer,red primer and satin Black
18 Masked hull ready for spraying
19 Hull in finished colours
20 Superstructure in primer
21 Front view
22 Hull with superstructure
23 View from Bow
24 Stern view

Stavros

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 08:01:08 pm »

Hi Stavros

I hope you don't mind but I've pinched your pix for my 'sometime in the future' build of my own TID hull at 41ins.

I'm interested in your construction of the skeg and I wonder whether you could take a close-up of it for me please?

Your model is looking pretty good at the moment so keep taking plenty of pix for us all............. O0 ;D ;D

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 08:12:59 pm »

Will do but I must admit I did not build it it was mr gogins from this forum,but I will take photos of it for you

Stavros

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 08:56:19 pm »

Hi Kiteman 1
I have some pics of the skeg construction for my 1/19 Tid - sort of similar to how I made the one that Stavros has. I will try and put a PM together.
Regards,
Keith
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

Stavros

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 10:00:23 pm »

OOPS and there I thought it was Mr Goggins and it turned out to be mrsgogins will one day I will get it right.
Are you going to Blackpool Keith,if so see oyu there

Stavros

-KEMO-

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 07:12:20 pm »

Hiya Kiteman,
                  here's a photo of the one i've just fitted to my 1:24 Tid, hope it's of help to you.

Keith.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 22 queries.