Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Annie  (Read 1742 times)

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Building Annie
« on: December 31, 2020, 02:15:21 pm »

I am building the Bearospace Schooner Annie which has brought me back to the forum for help after some years away and I noticed references to this boat in a number of posts so with lockdown and weather restricting the build a bit I thought I would post some of my progress.
First a disclaimer . Although for 50 + years I refurbished and sailed various boats (sail and power) from 7m to 36m, both as owner and delivery skipper, I am not an experienced model maker in the class of a lot of build posts on the forum. Since 2013 I have carried on my passion for boats by occasionally building models, mostly from plans in wood, with some reasonable results (with much help from MBM members) but my projects tend to be quit a long process in how to turn my actual experience into a reasonable build without the modelling.
The object of the post is not to show you how its done but to show some of the difficulties I am having along the way, how I am dealing with them and perhaps get some thoughts from the experts.
 So why did I choose Annie 
Two years ago I discovered RC Yacht racing and got hooked racing a RG65 and rebuilding and racing an older IOM (another case of, “with my experience this will be a doddle”....not) and I now wanted to build a RC classic sailing yacht and Annie ticked all the boxes. Its a large scale, easier for older fingers. The hull is a simpler ply construction (I thought), no building half models to produce frames or hours/weeks of double planking  . It has the potential to add detail on the basic build. There is a lot of information out there and great support from the designer Gary Webb. It fits in my car. All at a cost that I could afford to fail at should I not finish it for any  hopefully I will actually get to sail it.
My main reservations were the draft and the all up weight, particularly with regard to launching and recovering the boat and the depth of sailing waters that are available reasonably close. I emailed Gary Webb and we discussed reducing the draft (more later)and this contact with him gave me confidence to give it a go,
I bought the plans for Annie in Aug 2019 and began the build in early Sept 2019. Pic 1.  I am now about 30% of the way in. Pic 2 was taken in Nov alongside my one meter IOM but don’t be fooled by the apparent paint job. Its not good, I am still working on it, More latter.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building Annie
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 02:22:10 pm »

My very first problem was ply thickness. The plans call for 2,5 mm which is widely available in large sheets in the states for lining doors. The design requires full length hull panels of at least 58 inch and the thinnest I could find locally to meet this was 4mm. My main concern was the increase in weigh and its effect on draft and balance. I exchanged emails with Gary Webb and we resolved these  concerns so I bought the thicker ply but it did cause some build problems.
The hull panels are a gentle curve in one direction and were not to much of a problem to bend to shape,but the method of initial tacking them all in place was not strong enough to hold the thicker ply and the frames twisted.
At this stage it is vital that the keel box and the two frames supporting it are absolutely central and parallel with the hull if the boat to sail and so I temporally screwed the keel box into the frames Pic 3 (sorry don’t have any pics of its construction but it is a fibre glassed very strong box) and used this to set out and reinforce the rest of the frames and hull panels. Pic  4/5. I also used the deck panel and lots of measuring to help make sure the hull was straight and true. Pic 6.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 02:26:45 pm »

The ply thickness also meant the panel joints had to be chamfered to give a strong joint but eventually I  could remove the keel box and have a true and straight hull ready for joint epoxy filler. Pic 7 & 8.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 02:29:07 pm »

OOPS shouldnt wess with pics

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 02:30:26 pm »

I will sort these

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 02:36:14 pm »

:-)) :-))

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 02:37:57 pm »

I will give up for now......more next yearHappy new year

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 03:27:06 pm »

Test 7b

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 11:21:59 pm »

Hi Pete....welcome to 2021........60 years ago we had horizontal & vertical control [stretch & compress] on our Phillips television sets ..... O0

Now, have you sorted out the ply thickness?...over here in the Colonies we can usually obtain quality Birch 3x play down to ~~2mm thickness

Looking forward to more well shaped & sized images

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 06:51:20 pm »

What happened to the test photo thread?

Are you sorted?

These are the misshapen photos (again)

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 06:59:45 pm »

Hi was in the middle of replying and my internet went down. Apparently its been merged witha Martin topic.I managed to find it and it has been renamed??????????    PeterPan's AnnieHi Tug

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 10:39:19 am »

Photo problems now sorted so have decides to start thread again see Building Annie 2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.