Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow Goose flying boat  (Read 1570 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Snow Goose flying boat
« on: January 01, 2021, 05:31:07 pm »

After flying my little flying boat, I decided it flew so well that I would build a bigger version but as a twin, as the fuselage from the original plan I used is based on the grumman goose, which is a twin. I am going to call this one Snow Goose, cos its white. 😁 My small version had a flat bottomed hull, I wanted the proper V bottom  hull profile this time, so a lot of redesigning had to be done, as well as enlargement. I chose 1.5 x for the twin, giving a couple of inches under 3 feet, so I extended the wing till it was 3 feet. Not a great amount extra but it all helps. The reason I chose the 1.5x enlargement was that the two fuselage sides just fit on a sheet of 2mm depron at this size. Power was to be provided by a pair of Syma X7 quadcopter motor and gearbox units, These became available when my friend crashed the quadcopter and somehow killed the board , the motors are all fine and low flying time on them as well so they are nice and quiet.
 The motors were the main reason for starting the snow goose, and they have proved to have planty of power, coping with the drag from the 60mm wide and very deep fuselage. Most of the construction is 2mm depron with bits of 1mm, 3, 6 and 9mm in areas that needed it. 2mm carbon tube leading edge reinfocement on wings is just taped on with thin strips of sellotape. A small section of 1mm carbon on trailing edge centre protects the depron from the wing bands. There is a lot of depron up front, for support and bits to allow shaping. The battery bay is pretty tough to stop the battery bursting through in a 'heavy landing'. I tried keeping the rear end as light as possible, using 1mm depron on the top and on the bottom, I was hoping to use 2mm depron for the tailplane and fin but it was just too wobbly so 3mm was used and works perfectly. When it came to balancing the plane, I had to use a 20.4 g 750mah cell, pretty much the one I had thought about using, I made the battery bay big enough to take a range of batteries. 20 grams is a chunk but 2 motors would use more power. Anyway, loaded up with this battery, Snow Goose is 108g, my heaviest build using the F949 board, and my first twin using it. Actually, this one uses an 8g F949S board, same idea but slightly bigger servos and switchable gyro. Nice feature which smooths out flying for a nice scale like appearance. It only works with F949S transmitter bit thats ok because I  bought the F949S rtf plane, which is an excellent little plane by itself and lets me fly the Snow Goose using its transmitter. Its got decent radio anyway, basic, no servo reversing, end point adjusting or fancy mixes here, good range and a decent feel make up for this. The first glow engined planes I flew years ago used radio with no reversing, you just have to arrange things to suit. Anyway the boards are £12, so well worth the slight effort of having to think about control directions beforehand.
 The wing floats and motor pods are easily detachable.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Snow Goose flying boat
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 12:12:44 pm »

Snow Goose lives up to its name, taking off effortlessly from snow. Not tried water takeoff yet, if anything went wrong, theres no way I am wading into a freezing river to rescue it.
 I am really enjoying flying this plane, its jumped up there with my favourites, its just so well mannered and easy to fly, sits nice in the air and glides pretty well considering it has quite a big fuselage. It has enough power to get out of trouble and enough control to get some tight turns. I even managed a loop. Its also pretty quiet, the benefit of almost new motors and gearboxes. Its my daily flier, giving 20 minute flights on a 3.7v 750 mah cell, much more flying time than most of the glow powered planes I have had in the past, apart from an OS 15fp powered 6 foot motor glider I built, it maintained height at just over tickover speed and was giving flight times around the 20 minute mark. Anyway, my complete flying boat weighs less than the 4 ounces of fuel the OS15 motor glider had on board.
 I do miss the smell of castor oil, but not its mess. If you really miss the engine noises, you can make your own noises. 😁 As long as you are flying by yourself.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 01:10:05 pm »

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 08:26:13 pm »

That is really cool, it looks so graceful, is it easy to control ?
Steamed up all the time

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 09:25:50 pm »

Yes it is a very easy to fly plane as it has the Wltoys F949S board, as opposed to the F949 boards I have been using so far, the F949S has gyro stabilisation which is very effective but can be switched off from the transmitter if you want.
The Snow Goose is one of my favourite aircraft now.
Only thing is that scraping along frozen snow has punctured the hull, will need to fix that before I try it off water.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 09:37:18 pm »

The crow uses the F949S gyro stabilised board as well. The only thing is that the board only runs from the F949S transmitter and that has no mixing capabilities, servo reversing or travel adjustment. The board doesnt have the option of plugging in a 3rd servo either. All that said, it is an awesome little board with slightly larger servos than the F949. For £13 per board its a bargain. I had to buy a Wltoys F949S plane to get the transmitter, cost me £32 as I got a partial refund after it arrived with bent tail surfaces. It had been packed slightly wrongly, I think the seller had checked it worked before posting then packed it wrong. The bent bits were straightened out reasonably enough, being epp. The plane is a cessna type and flies really well too.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 09:42:26 pm »

How the F949S arrived, the fuselage should have been put in before the wing, not crammed in afterwards.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 11:27:22 pm »

After some straightening it looks ok, I am hoping that having to refund me some of the cost of the plane will discourage the seller from cramming someone elses plane in the box before sending it out. Could be a raw beginner that doesnt know how to fix the problem I had. I straightened mine in front of a fan heater by over correcting the warped surfaces which allowed them to spring back to a nearly straight condition. Nearly.
 The plane flies really well, a little fast for a raw beginner but gyro stabilisation really helps. Decent flight times as well from a 3.7v 500mah cell, around the 15 to 20 minute mark. It has a big plane feel and look to it in the air, maybe its the scale appearance that helps with this, and the gyro of course.
  Nice wee plane, markings are moulded on so no peeling or flaking of your paintwork or stickers stuck on squint.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 02:39:15 pm »

Snow Goose takes to the water.
 I decided to try a takeoff from water, but there was just not enough power to get unstuck from the water. Steering was good though, apart from that, a bit of a fail. I thought it might be marginal as previous flights landing on wet grass showed it stopped quickly and didnt want to start moving again.
 I shouldnt expect too much from the tiny 7mm syma X7 quad motors and gearboxes, I am close to their limits with a plane this size and weight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.