Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raboesch bow thruster  (Read 2232 times)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Raboesch bow thruster
« on: January 04, 2021, 05:51:53 pm »

Hello all
need some advice. I am installing a second bow thruster on ferry I am rebuilding.
I went for the Raboesch 108-01 model
Bow Thruster 108-01 - Raboesch Models
Since the ferry runs on 12v. I replaced the Raboesch RM410 7.2v motor with a Mtroniks M400 motor .
m400 brushed model boat motor (mtroniks.net)
I did a sea trial yesterday and the thruster locked up. I striped it down and found a bur on the paddle blade. I removed it and re greased it.
To day I did another set of sea trails . On 7.4v volts it worked fine. at 12v 3s lipo it worked but got hot and started to smoke. I stop straight away. I re tested tested on 7.2v and it ran ok.
The question is. This bow thruster will be sealed in below a deck once the deck is down. Is the M400 motor still ok . If not any recommendations on what motor might be a suitable replacement for the Mtronics M400 . As the ferry will now have two bow thrusters. I dont think I will need to run both at full power and if I did it would only be for a short time .
John

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Raboesch bow thruster
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 06:39:43 pm »

Hi John
Did it lock up mechanically or just stop? read that as fail to restart after stopping.
My own Raboesch bow thruster in Portgarth developed a dead spot on the poles or commutator so if it randomly stopped in a particular position it would not restart without giving it a turn by hand.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 06:49:04 pm »

I built the Model Slipways Loyal fleet tender years ago, and added a Raboesch bow thruster.  This boat has a small hatch well forward and I located the BT below this hatch.  This gives me access to remove the screws in the BT when needed.  And it was needed when the plastic impeller broke at the shaft connection.  I made a new impeller from brass sheet and tubing and epoxied it on.  No more trouble.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 06:50:08 pm »

It may be wrong but I was once told raising the voltage over 7.2v reduces the efficiency of the thruster.
If that is wrong someone will correct me. However I only run mine at 7.4 max no problems

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 08:06:02 pm »

Hi John
Did it lock up mechanically or just stop? read that as fail to restart after stopping.
My own Raboesch bow thruster in Portgarth developed a dead spot on the poles or commutator so if it randomly stopped in a particular position it would not restart without giving it a turn by hand.

Hi Andy
I ran it for about 20 sec on a 2s lipo , it ran fine. Then I tried on a 3s lipo. it made a big spark and the motor did not run, power only on for 2 sec . I pulled the boat from the water. I could not push the blade around.
so Stripped the thruster down . I found a bure on the blade were it gos through the main seal . I removed the bure and re greased .It ran fine .
The motor to day after smoking and getting very not runs fine .

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 08:07:28 pm »

I built the Model Slipways Loyal fleet tender years ago, and added a Raboesch bow thruster.  This boat has a small hatch well forward and I located the BT below this hatch.  This gives me access to remove the screws in the BT when needed.  And it was needed when the plastic impeller broke at the shaft connection.  I made a new impeller from brass sheet and tubing and epoxied it on.  No more trouble.

an option like that will not be possible on my Ferry.

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 08:08:22 pm »

It may be wrong but I was once told raising the voltage over 7.2v reduces the efficiency of the thruster.
If that is wrong someone will correct me. However I only run mine at 7.4 max no problems

John

On my other ferry and this one they have run a t 12v fine .
John

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 09:26:42 pm »

does anyone know what the rpm rating of the original raboesch motor is at 7.2v?   the raboesch page lists that the maximum rpm of the entire unit is rated at is 17,000rpm, but it doesn't list what it's actual rpm is...   with that...  the mtroniks page states that at 12v the mtroniks motor produces 20,000rpm, or 117% of the drive's rated capacity....

i would recommend finding a 400 size brushed motor that spins at no more than 15,000rpm at 12v.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 09:31:04 pm »

First class reply  :-)) 

I used an action electronics switcher to run the bow thruster at 7.2 volts off the 12 volt batteries.

Also a 12 volt battery can be anything up to 14.4 volts depending on when the charge cycle completed.
Even when equalised still 12.6 volts
ANDY

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 09:36:57 pm »

does anyone know what the rpm rating of the original raboesch motor is at 7.2v?   the raboesch page lists that the maximum rpm of the entire unit is rated at is 17,000rpm, but it doesn't list what it's actual rpm is...   with that...  the mtroniks page states that at 12v the mtroniks motor produces 20,000rpm, or 117% of the drive's rated capacity....

i would recommend finding a 400 size brushed motor that spins at no more than 15,000rpm at 12v.

the sheet for the original Raboesch RM 410 motor . Max RPM 17000 about 3000 less than the Mtroniks
Blue RM-410 Brushed Motor - Raboesch Models

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 09:40:55 pm »

I have the smallest Raboesch bow thruster installed in my Revell Queen Mary 2 motorised kit. It is effective but seems to have more thrust in one direction than the other.

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 09:47:33 pm »

I will have a speed control on it. The two thrusters working together will be fine and give lots of side power. When it windy big ferries need all the help they can get.
I reality I can not see it running at full power for long. It was the way it got hot so quickly that has me worried as there will be no acess to it.
john

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 11:02:39 am »

Everyone may be interested to know that Ron Dean at Deans Marine has 12 Volt motors to fit these bow thrusters. I purchased 8 of them from Ron a few months ago and have been doing extensive testing for several months and they are all operating fine.For your interest they are fitted in a pair of boats with catamaran style hulls and there is a pair of bow thrusters and a pair of stern thrusters in each boat.If there is an International Model Boat Show (Leamington) this year (2021) the boats will be on the pool.Steve Dean, Poolmaster & Commentator.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 12:03:51 pm »

Thank you Steve for sharing that as I do need to replace the one in my Portgarth
ANDY

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 08:13:26 pm »

the motor stank so I replaced it with a 5 pole 380 size can motor. Made a new blade out of brass. Tested works well
John

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 09:12:31 pm »

HEY!  Just like my home made brass impeller.   :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.