Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clearing floating leaves  (Read 1596 times)

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Clearing floating leaves
« on: January 07, 2021, 08:19:21 pm »

My local boating pond tends to suffer from floating leaves which often foul the propellers on our boats. The water is only about 18 inches deep, so some users don waders and go around with a large fishing net to clear the leaves. The pond is only about 20m across, so I was considering using a badminton net that could be dragged across the lake by 2 people using long ropes (without getting their feet wet). Has anyone tried this technique? What other solutions do you have for dealing with floating leaves?

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Clearing floating leaves
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 10:03:13 pm »

Leaf  blower might at least bunch them up

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 10:03:39 pm »

We use a 1 metre wide cage made of 38mm plastic waste pipe and joints. It is covered in gardening mesh with one side left open.  If you need extra buoyancy, then tie empty 4 litre plastic milk bottles around the top.
It is very light and easily towed from side to side and is lifted out and towed to the compost heap.
Cheap and long lasting.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 12:45:44 pm »

pity you don't have a competition using trawlers to pull a net once the majority is removed, the one who collects the the most in a net is the winner, but removing the chance of fouling could be competition as well i.e. the most effective anti-fouling guard that can be retro / temporarily fitted to a boat
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 01:28:12 pm »

In the early days of our club we had a combined net and boom to separate our area from the rest of the lake.  With a team effort, the net (with its floats and weights) and its line was effective at removing any floating debris.
The problems were disposing of the debris, and having someone to store the net, plus somewhere to stash it.  A soggy net is rarely a welcome guest.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 06:04:15 pm »

I have great sympathy for your problem , and last year My Tug ingested debris which burnt out a motor and Esc . >:-o

I ended up fitting a metal mesh on a brass former around the rear underside of the tug which not only worked but prevented debris entering my  twin Kort's .

It was not very expensive to construct and fit and allowed me to continue recovering the clubs models who fell foul of this irritation .

You could also use the same principal to tow a floatation line out which the end is tethered to the launch point and encircle the leaves and then draw the Line / tug back and enjoy your hobby again in real time .

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 06:23:58 pm »

I have great sympathy for your problem , and last year My Tug ingested debris which burnt out a motor and Esc .

No fuses?

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 06:27:34 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.