Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor Mounts  (Read 3505 times)

RST

Re: Motor Mounts
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 11:36:12 pm »

Watemeter / ammeter / noise. The lower the watts, or amps the better the alignment.  I use a 1.5v dry cell (or two depending  on voltage of motor) and listen for the quietest position before bonding the motor mount down. Sometimes a layer of masking tape or paper underneath etc to adjust height.  Many more than one way to do it.

Can't comment on your shafts. Tried one once years ago and it was way tight to turn so got a refund and always use regular shafts.  They must work, but I didn't like them.

Noise will often be louder when the motors turn and the hull isn't floating. I've seen beginners tripped up with this many times.

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 11:40:01 pm »

Thanks Everyone  :-)) :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 12:02:55 am »

I've put some extra info. in my post - particularly see the bearing housing comment as a source of heat.

I've got one 5/10mm prop shaft and that is a bit tight. The other one and my 4/8mm prop shafts turn easily. I don't use anything else in my builds.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 12:14:43 am »

Thanks Chris Where do you buy your motor mounts? Thought I could source them from Krick,don't think they ship to Canada.Lot's on e-bay but comes from China shipping takes forever. >:-o

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2021, 01:12:52 am »

I've put some extra info. in my post - particularly see the bearing housing comment as a source of heat.

I've got one 5/10mm prop shaft and that is a bit tight. The other one and my 4/8mm prop shafts turn easily. I don't use anything else in my builds.

Chris

Some of the Raboesch shafts have a green rubber seal on the inboard end which drags against the shaft - it doesn't seem to be in place in your pictures, but I would bet it's the cause of the heating here.
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 05:03:05 am »

No Green seal on these shafts .I'm pretty sure it's caused by an alignment problem

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 08:41:48 pm »

Hi Mike

I bought my alloy mounts from Cornwall Model Boats and Anglia Model Centre (via Ebay) and it looks as though they were produced by the latter as the marks on them where they were bent were the same. Unfortunately Anglia Model Centre ceased trading - wish I'd bought more now! I can get them in black nylon but I like the alloy ones especially after a bit of fettling and polishing!

Chris

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 08:56:37 pm »

Evening Chris

Steve at modelboatbits sell the alloy mounts

https://www.modelboatbits.com/MOTORS-MOUNTS/MOTOR-MOUNTS/

Jason

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 09:04:46 pm »

Thanks Jason

Yes, I was having a search through the suppliers I've used in the past and found those but they are too big - I use the 500 - 600 mounts.

Chris

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2021, 09:36:19 pm »

Hi Chris

No problem  :-)) [size=78%] may be next time you need mounts make your own as i like to [/size]

Jason

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2021, 11:57:43 pm »

I may well have to, you've made a nice job of yours.

Cheers, Chris

RST

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2021, 12:27:07 am »

Mike did you get anywhere with that pointer to the Canadian shop over on rcgroups?  Your kind of getting the same advice in parallel on both forums.

I can't remember your motor size, but there's also a company called mfa over here who do motors and mounts, component shop also sell mounts. Considering most motors we use are "standard" can sizes there's usually a mount somewhere, or with a little imagination the mounting holes can be filed or reamed to size, or make an adapter plate to suit.  You may not find an off the shelf mount for every motor simply because of demand, and easy enough to make "DIY" so they're raylored for about 3-5 commonly used motor sizes.  As a living room table top modeller I try to modify something close as no workshop to use. Have to say though there's many many ways to mount motors and each to their own as long as it works though my pet hate is seeing jubilee clips wrapped round them, or gluing motors down!

The rcgroups thread recommendation was to use the dog bone joints common in the US. My one and only experience of them was they wear out, even when aligned.  It's perfectly normal to use double huco joints, but still align as best you can in first place!

Mike M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2021, 08:50:25 pm »

Yes I went to see the fellow in Victoria.He gave me some good advice also.The advice I got on this forum and RC groups has also  been good.I have ordered 2 mounts, so that's the route I have decided to take. We'll see what happens ok2
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.