Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Annie 2  (Read 15623 times)

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Building Annie 2
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2021, 04:11:58 pm »

Main deck components finished Pic 81

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2021, 04:45:23 pm »

Next step will be to complete the final rc installation and the rudder construction but first time for a final check on mast rake and mast steps as I don’t want to have to adjust these once the rc installation is complete Pic 82/83.
All looks OK

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2021, 04:50:22 pm »

Hi Andybiggs, make sure your saucepan has a separate 2nd. handle you cannot manipulate it with just one handle as it will be very heavy.  Difficult to aim and pour.
Roy

AndyBiggs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2021, 05:56:52 am »

The casting went fine. Used a camping cooker outside and a small Dremel blowtorch to warm the lead. Yes - the saucepan did have two handles, was made steel. Looks bit of a mess now !

The mould survived well and a quick measurement realised that it is suitable for use when making Flyer. So it’s under the bench waiting for a second use. Just need to find some lead.

Your Annie is looking very impressive.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2021, 05:00:11 pm »

Hi Andy.
Glad the lead poor went well.
Poring my keel bulb will have to be the very last job.
All my local sailing waters have restricted depth, so I am reducing the length of the aluminium fin by about 80mm to reduce the draught and will need the all up weight of the finished boat to calculate the final weight of lead required.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2021, 05:01:51 pm »

All my local waters have restricted depth so I am reducing the depth of the keel fin by about 80mm and wiil need the all up weight of the finished boat to calculate the final weight of lead required.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2021, 05:49:21 pm »

I started to build the rudder and although it’s not in the plans decided to put a liner in the rudder stock hole. Pic 84/85

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2021, 05:51:50 pm »

Made cardboard template and checked everything was straight and true. Pic 86/87/88

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2021, 05:55:50 pm »

Made aluminium rod frame and ply core and epoxy together Pic 89/90/91

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2021, 06:10:23 pm »

Just when you think it is all going so well!!!
I have now got to the point of building up the final rudder shape with epoxy filler.
I do not have enough of my preferred filler, International Watertite  Pic 92 which I used when I built the hull but is expensive. I have been recommended various car body type fillers, but these are all large tins, most of which I will never use. Whilst pondering this my son said he had a tin of Fibral fibreglass two-part repair resin Pic 93. I did a small sample on some ply and this seemed to cure ok and sanded well so yesterday I used it. After 5 hours it was obvious it was not curing properly, and some 22 hours later it was still taky.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2021, 06:12:45 pm »

I scraped some of the surface back and it was harder Pic 94 but as I got to the edges it lifted Pic 95 and then came clean off.Pic 96

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2021, 06:13:39 pm »

The why I will leave for now, (I think it may be using old hardener) but the good news is I do not have to build the rudder from scratch. I know the International filler works so will probably revert to this but in any case, will buy new epoxy filler.

AndyBiggs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2021, 07:26:47 pm »

I feel your pain. Best Wishes

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2021, 01:32:33 pm »

Managing to get some socially distanced sailing in again so the build progress has been a bit slower but as well as working on RC installation I have sorted out the rudder.
Talking to people who use these fillers a lot I became more convinced that the problem was that the old hardener I used had gone off.
Whilst trying to decide which filler to get I saw that my local Toolstation had a really cheap filler, Pic 121. I intended to fibreglass the rudder anyway, so I thought why not give it a try.
It went on well and sanded to a nice shape. Pic 123.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2021, 01:34:21 pm »

I then fibre glassed it and using the same filler faired it ready for painting. I am pleased with the result. Pic 124,125,126

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2021, 05:31:21 pm »

Build Continues.
I thought I should update the thread.
Over past couple of months I have been continuing the build but found myself working on different bits at different times as things like RC also need attention to through deck sheeting and mast construction and completion of rudder controls etc.
The easing of lockdown has also meant I have been able to spend more time club racing my IOM and DF65 so updating the build has slipped a bit.
I am still taking photos and am working on
Completion of rudder and servo controls.
Installation of RC winch lines /controls
Through deck sheet controls, with masts and sails
I will put together some posts as soon as I tidy some loose ends.
Rudder has been completed Pic 127

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2021, 04:46:23 pm »

Sail winch line controls.  I did a temporary RC installation (see Jan 21 post) during hull interior build to make sure everything was lined up ok but now needed to do a permanent installation, some of which would not be accessible once deck is permanently fixed to hull.
I removed the temporary components Pic 128   I decided to change the forward single pulley with two smaller ones with bearings and fit them to a stronger fixed base Pic 129 130 131
The main reason for this was that if the winch line came off the larger pulley, I found it could become jammed under the pulley and would be very difficult to get out through the hatch when the deck was fixed down. This does not happen with the double pullies, but I also found the two pullies with bearings had much less friction.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2021, 04:52:33 pm »

I also decided to make a stronger and more easily adjustable base for the sail winch using metal threaded adjustment screws and plastic edges for the runners Pic 132 133 I then set everything up with my transmitter. Pic 134
This subject could be a mini thread itself but basically it is setting the distance of travel of the winch line by setting the number of turns on the winch. This is easier to do if the transmitter enables you to set the end points of the winch, otherwise you need to adjust the amount of line around the winch pulley and the position of the winch itself.

AndyBiggs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2021, 05:26:10 pm »

Like the look of your smaller pullies. Where did you get them from?

Would be interested in how you are going to attach the actual sail sheets to the loop. Are you adding a tension spring for the loop? I’m currently building a Flyer design and have decided to use some Bowsie’ to attach the sheets but would be interested in other solutions.

Many thanks from a “beginner”

tarmstro

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2021, 01:53:40 pm »

Just a small comment: pullies are called "blocks" in sailboats.
Also, you are doing it overkill. Look for standard RC sailboat blocks here: https://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/Blocks_c_135.html
Or here: https://www.sailsetc2.com/index.php/products-by-category/fittings/blocks.html
(You can find same blocks from several other vendors around the world).

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2021, 02:10:46 pm »

Hi peterpan

That is one very nice looking SG&K 1920 Gentleman's Runabout.

I added chine rails to my one which cut down water spray and improved the turning.

Canabus

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2021, 03:37:24 pm »

Hi all. If you have an elastic or spring return for the sail winch cord.  Make sure that when the sails are pulled in they are being pulled directly by the winch.
Roy

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2021, 11:15:39 am »

Hi Andy. I bought the pullies on eBay. I tried various pullies before fixing on these.
The problems start because you need to wined around 18inch of cord onto the winch pully and the groove depth on the pully supplied with the winch limits the diam of line you can use. The only suitable turning pullies I could find had shallow U groove and thin cord did work on them as it works up the groove and using these small pullies solved this.
There are no springs. The winch line is tensioned by sliding the winch platform back and fixing in place with the screws. 
Bowsies may look a bit out of place on a period boat but are a great way to tension lines on RC yachts.
I will be adding a post shortly showing the though deck installation of the sheets and attaching them to the winch line.

Roy,
You are absolutely right the sheets have to be pulled directly in line with the
winch as I discovered when I brought the sheets through the deck.
A bit more on that soon as well.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2021, 11:17:10 am »

Hi tarmastro
You are correct, they are called blocks on sailboats but if you try to search blocks on the internet you get building products. It’s the same problem if you search for a starboard threaded bolt or a specific diam. sheet and do not try warps.  %%
I do buy all my IOM RC yacht spares from Salesetc and did think about using some but there are problems, and I am scratch building which will include making my own wood blocks.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2021, 11:19:24 am »

Hi Canabus,
Thanks for your kind comment. I bult my SG&K some years ago when I lived in Spain and it has not been on the water much. When I finally finish the schooner, I hope to dust it off and get it afloat and I will look at your comments on chines.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.