Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hydro-Jet  (Read 1433 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Hydro-Jet
« on: December 03, 2020, 01:39:02 pm »

I discovered two small hydro-jet units (NQD type) and, needing something to occupy me during "lock-down" eventually hit on the idea of a small short sea type of ferry.  Lots of inspiration in the Baltic and Mediterranean.

Two previous models powered by these units had shown them to be tricky to install in a wooden hull.  Add the fact that they incorporated no means of making the model move astern and quite a few designs had to be sketched out and discarded until a practical layout was created.  This was a flat bottomed hull with the jet nozzles set into a cut-out at the stern.

First sailing trials of the bare hull were OK.  The model handled safely even if the speed was none too impressive.  The hull being ballasted to an all up weight of around 5 pounds (2.3 kg) to ensure the impellers were fully immersed and would start reliably.  Astern was not found to be essential provided you could avoid jamming the model into the bank-side.

A simple superstructure was made to match the sort of vessel that might only have a short run between ports.  Some full-size vessels have rather garish hull decorations, I settled for a simpler scheme using self adhesive vinyl sheets.  I pays to have a friend with a vinyl cutter!

Sailing trials of the completed model showed the same characteristics as before, including the modest speed despite the twin hydro-jets working hard.  I tried removing some ballast and the speed did improve.  Eventually all the ballast was taken out and the model now zipped along at a more impressive 5-6 ft/sec.  The hull was not quite fully planing but didn't have the stern sinking as most over driven displacement hulls would have done.  I guess the flat hull bottom lifted the stern. The hydro-jets still self primed when starting, although with the odd momentary "gurgle". In this final state the 31 inch (78 cm) long model weighs in at 2.25 pounds (1 kg).

Overall, an interesting challenge to design, well it's too easy to become boring if you only do the same things time and time again.  But, now something different is needed for 2021.
Glynn  Guest   

hama

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hydro-Jet
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 02:53:56 pm »

That's really cool!
Too bad the NQD jets don't have reversing buckets.
Looking forward to your next work!
Hama

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 04:58:58 pm »

With no sailing problems encountered, save for a small leak in the engine compartment that is irritating rather than a serious problem,  the plans are now in the Editors hands.  I did check that these NQD units are still available but the model could be powered by conventional water screws although a couple of surface piercing props might be more impressive....?
Glynn Guest

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 11:15:08 am »

Plans now published in the Nov 2021 issue of the Model Boats magazine.  A little surprised at it sudden appearance as the Editor has some plans of mine that I think are much better but it is perhaps more pretty...?

Glynn Guest

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 11:53:23 am »

Ever thought of having a plate that dropped down to create a bucket for reversing, like the jet blast plates on a carrier - just a thought
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 03:36:16 pm »

Warspite,
           An obvious solution and one that the full-size employ.  Was going to use it but when rudders replaced the steerable nozzles it got either complicated or just plain ugly.

Plus, the model had proven my ideas about these simple hulls and it was time to move on to another challenge.

Glynn Guest
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.