Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountfleet Models Danny Boy (1:24 scale) Build Log  (Read 17270 times)

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Mountfleet Models Danny Boy (1:24 scale) Build Log
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2021, 06:13:16 pm »

Managed to get the superstructure coamings sorted, with a little help from some Milliput for the curved front corners.  Then, massive thanks to Ray for the link to Neil’s post on how to use a pencil stub along the deck to get a line on the superstructure to sand parallel to so that I managed to get a good fit with the deck.  Maybe not 100% perfect but I’ve decided to leave well alone now as the fit is great in terms of on the coamings and along the deck.  I only placed the printed deck to try it out as next step will be some painting.
Riverside Models Narrowboat
Mountfleet Models Danny Boy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2021, 06:25:06 pm »

It's always a pleasure to help others, even if it's using someone else's idea  %)

Passing on know-how ensures skills aren't lost  :-))

Ray.

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2021, 07:54:56 pm »

Did a little bit of painting after debating with myself for hours over what to paint before fitting and what to fit then paint in place. Think I’m going to do the primer on the superstructure next as everything else is quite small and detailed so I feel would benefit from painting first then fixing.

Then had a play with my new toy, a laser level.  Practiced marking the waterline for when I have sprayed primer on the hull.  After loads of reading up on it I have decided on the following sequence which I saw someone else follow to good effect :

1. Grey primer all over hull
2. White spray band in area of waterline
3. Use Tamiya tape on the white band to be the waterline
4. Seal tape top and bottom with white spray
5. Red primer for below waterline
6. Black for above waterline
7. Remove Tamiya tape to reveal the white waterline

I know there will be loads of different methods, but thought this may be the easiest for me to do.  At the worst I can always sand any errors back and re-do.

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2021, 08:21:01 pm »

Bit of painting today before Danny Boy goes into dry dock #2 (spare bedroom) whilst we tackle some decorating in the kitchen-diner which will force a break in the build.  Managed to get the superstructure sprayed with primer, albeit a little darker grey primer than I would have liked.  Then did 3 coats over the course of the day on the bulwarks.  Not quite as good as I had imagined in my head, but after the third coat it’s not looking too bad.  I think perhaps a final, fourth, coat will be in order.

I suppose that each model helps improve your skills and I feel I’m better on this one than I was on the narrowboat, but can still see where I could make improvements.  I should have spent much longer on smoothing the bulwarks which would have resulted in a better paint finish, as well as getting a better edge between them and the deck.  But at least it’s not a disaster and the overall look is still pleasing, at least to me!  I guess you never stop learning!

Pleased to have found a spray paint for the exact colour I’m doing the superstructure in, as I think for such a large area that spraying is preferable to brushing in order to get a good finish.  The superstructure will be very much on show and I want that to look as good as possible.

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2021, 09:50:34 pm »

So, decorating done, spent a cheeky while afterwards on spraying Danny Boy.  Superstructure now in final coat, it will still need the clear coat when everything finished.  Hull has first coats of the red.  Next steps will be marking the waterline, spraying the black upper part then painting the white waterline between the two.  Think I’ll do the clear coat on the hull once painting has been finished to give it some protection as I already noticed a faint mark from a fingernail on the red primer, so it must be quite soft (but will hopefully harden up overnight).

Still trying to work out the technique for the waterline, I was going to spray a band of white, put  Tamiya tape where I want the waterline to be, then spray above and below with red and black, finally remove the Tamiya tape to reveal the white waterline.  However, now thinking this may not be so good as getting the red primer to cover the white top coat might not be so good.  Might resort to two lines of Tamiya tape now and paint the waterline in between them.

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2021, 07:19:42 pm »

Bit more progress on the painting.  Used Tamiya masking tape for curves to mark the waterline with the help of the laser level.  It seemed fairly easy despite hands that suddenly don’t seem quite so steady!  Then masked over the Tamiya tape to cover the lower hull and sprayed the upper black section.  Three coats later and a nice finish.

Next steps will be second Tamiya tape on the black section over the waterline one, mask the black, another coat of red primer, wait for that to dry, third Tamiya tape on the red, mask that, remove the middle Tamiya tape and spray the white waterline. Then clear coat spray the lot.  Phew!

Like the colour of the red primer, but it’s finish is definitely not as good as the black top coat, in that it scuffs very easily.  I guess that’s primer for you and the clear coat will protect it to stop any scuffs.

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2021, 07:39:15 pm »

Hull painting almost there with waterline now painted.  Just a few bleeds which I can tidy up, then a clear coat spray to give some protection before I progress work.

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2021, 02:36:45 pm »

Managed to get the waterline bleeds sorted and sprayed a clear lacquer.  Now I’m not totally sure whether the resulting eggshell finish is ok or not?  Debating over whether a Matt lacquer may be better and if so whether I could just spray a coat of that over the top to dull down the sheen?

Mind you, the more I look at the result the more it’s growing on me.  It’s hard to tell in the photo, but what do people think?  Would it be better dulled down a bit?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2021, 03:42:05 pm »

It looks pretty good. Matt lacquer usually still has a slight sheen anyway. Sometimes the satin can look a bit too shiny. It might be worth painting a test piece of plastic sheet and then spraying first with satin and then matt so you can compare it with the hull as it is at the moment. Even if you decide not to use the matt, it will still come in useful for fittings etc. (but don't spray lacquer over enamel)

Colin

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2021, 04:08:29 pm »

It looks pretty good. Matt lacquer usually still has a slight sheen anyway. Sometimes the satin can look a bit too shiny. It might be worth painting a test piece of plastic sheet and then spraying first with satin and then matt so you can compare it with the hull as it is at the moment. Even if you decide not to use the matt, it will still come in useful for fittings etc. (but don't spray lacquer over enamel)

Colin
Thanks For the advice Colin.  I’m actually getting to like the soft sheen of the hull now so I may just leave well alone!  However, I will definitely use the Matt lacquer for the superstructure and fittings as I want them matt.  As you say, a test piece is definitely in order before I do anything with those as I definitely won’t be able to rub any of the superstructure back with all of its fittings!

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2021, 02:59:10 pm »

Not too much progress on Danny Boy (due to dealing with painting at 1:1 scale - kitchen and lounge !).  Just a bit of work in building the navigation light boards and painting some of the wheelhouse components.  Next bit will be fitting the LEDs in the navigation lights and getting them mounted onto the superstructure.  Also added the floor to the wheelhouse, so it's slowly coming along.

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2021, 07:56:43 pm »

Edging forwards with the build!  Initial part of building the main hatch done and it fits beautifully (measuring twice, cutting once worked lol!).  More work to do on it but pleased with these first steps.

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2021, 06:19:30 pm »

Bit the bullet and filed down the engine skylight castings as some were badly formed, plus I couldn’t “glaze” them due to having fixed the moulding onto the superstructure and only drilled a hole for a LED, not wanting to cut at this stage of the build - I guess you live and learn!

Fitted some Graupner glazed portholes which I feel do the job well and smartened up the look, even if they are perhaps not quite the right thing for the boat.  But if it looks good to me then I am happy, after all it is a generic model and not a specific actual boat.

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2021, 08:00:41 pm »

Progress has been a bit slow over this last week.  Having a little break from the superstructure and doing the hatches which I’m finding quite enjoyable.  Got the painting then hatch boards to make up next.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2021, 08:24:12 pm »

Progress has been a bit slow over this last week.

... but, any progress is better than none  O0 :-))

Ray.

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2021, 08:28:48 pm »

After a break for decorating then two weeks on holiday on our shared narrowboat (great fun with everything from gales, torrential rain, hail and then sun burnt on the last day!) back to Danny Boy.  Did the steering chain and pipe along with a couple of hand rails.

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2021, 08:31:10 pm »

Poor Danny Boy  <:(   after getting an intermittent failure when switching on (no power on P112 board), and lots of examining wiring, etc. I got to the point of the ESC being totally dead.  After lots of tearing my hair out, I managed to eliminate everything and isolate the fault to the ESC so I know it’s definitely that rather than anything else. 

The only thing I can think that may have caused it (other than a faulty ESC in the first place) is that when testing other circuits I didn’t have the motor connected and I think the spades on the end of the motor wires accidentally touched and shorted the ESC (I know, rookie error!). It has worked after that but with an intermittent issue of sometimes not powering up, pulling the battery voltage down to around 3v which meant nothing else worked.  This gradually got worse until last night I couldn’t get anything out of the ESC at all.

So, replacement ESC on its way and lesson learned.  Meanwhile Danny Boy is in a bit of a state.  If nothing else it has proved that I can get to everything ok through the main hatch and superstructure opening!

Just keeping my fingers crossed that the replacement ESC resolves the issue (which it must do as I have proved everything else is ok) and I can rebuild some confidence to carry on the build.  Must admit this has knocked me a bit, but at least the issue has been found now and not when Danny Boy is in the middle of a lake!

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2021, 06:21:52 pm »

Part 2 of the electrical problems  <:(

I fitted the new ESC and got it working just fine.  Then switched power off and screwed everything back together.  Switching the main toggle switch on again and the power didn’t come on!  Off and on again and it came back on.  After experimenting (with just the power distribution board connected, definitely NOT the new ESC!) I found that just waggling the lever on the toggle switch I could get the power to go off. 

So maybe the switch was the cause of the blown ESC ? Or perhaps the switch fault is another problem in addition to a damaged ESC from the motor wire shorting incident some weeks back?

Whatever the cause I have now ordered a replacement switch - going for a rocker switch this time that is sold for use in cars, so should be ok switching 12v DC.  I was tempted to simplify things and just connect the battery directly to the P112 power distribution board, but I kind of like having the DPDT switch to go between a charging socket and connecting the battery to the P112.

I will be SO glad when these issues have been sorted and I can get back to more enjoyable model building!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2021, 10:03:08 am »

HI You are making a cracking job with this build. The end result will be well worth it .

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2021, 09:28:44 pm »

HI You are making a cracking job with this build. The end result will be well worth it .

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Thank you so much Stan!  That means a lot to me!  Inspired by what can be achieved looking at some of your wonderful models! Looking forward to continuing my build with renewed confidence and enthusiasm now :-))

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2021, 09:52:14 pm »

Hi hope to send you some pictures of the suspended lights on 1062. If time allows also a sketch. You have done a great job on the paintwork and the electronics look fine.

Stan.

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2021, 07:28:48 pm »

Thanks to a great chat with Stan, some great advice and loads of inspiration, I continued with Danny Boy today, moving my “boatyard” outdoors to make a good start with the wheelhouse and enjoying the glorious weather. 

Few more bits to finish and sand before priming, but already it’s making a real difference, even just placed on top of the superstructure.  Final fitting will not be until I’ve tackled the wiring for the lighting.

And just for completeness I’ve added a picture of the fixed electronics board with new switch.  Hopefully everything will be ok now going forwards!

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2021, 11:01:08 pm »

Applied some sanding sealer then sanded the wheelhouse and applied a first coat of primer tonight.  Also made the skylight just aft of the superstructure and similarly treated that so both are now ready for painting.

Oh, also tested the electronics again and very pleased to say that everything is still working well😀

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2021, 09:09:09 pm »

Little bit more done on Danny Boy today : deck overlay finally glued down, wheelhouse and aft skylight treated to three top coats.  Still a bit more work to do on the main hatch, but couldn’t resist placing everything to see the overall effect!

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2021, 09:17:42 pm »

This is really coming along well, although you have done primmer what will be the the final colour. Great on the electronics, have put all mine for my fishing boat together on the bench ( I also have the sound module)........installed in the boat....guess what....grrrrrrrr.......so a little glass of Ricard (tis France)  and.. opps missed a connection...oh and BTW I do steam so this new fangled radio control is a learning curve / mystery  O0 O0 O0 O0
Steamed up all the time
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.