Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Food from your childhood ...  (Read 7532 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Food from your childhood ...
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2021, 09:23:07 am »

I remember that breakfast was almost always augmented with Halibut oil capsules and Parrishes Chemical Food through a straw to stop teeth going black from the iron!

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2021, 11:10:12 am »

A desert spoon of "Malt and Cod Liver Oil" before bed.

Butter and sugar sandwiches.

I still treat myself to a Tomato Sauce sandwich when I want something quick and tasty... has to be Processed sliced white bread and Heinz sauce... nothing else.

Regards
Terry H

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2021, 11:41:50 am »

Cod liver oil? Luxury.
Our mother used to give us castor oil, we are sure that was her passive aggressive response if we played up.

Proving perhaps that not all of our food memories are flavoured with happy nostalgia.

Who remembers Haslett? I think it was Mattessons who made it. It was something you bought sliced at the deli counter in the 70s. Poor man's meatloaf. Not bad, but my dad was a supermarket manager, and the van driver would give a whole haslett, maybe 2lbs, to my dad every week. We soon grew sick of it, and my dad kept bringing it home every week.

Same goes for torton cake. Basically a large round sponge cream cake. Sponge cake layer, thick layer of sweetened cream, another sponge layer, the whole cake then covered in sweat cream, and topped with fruit pieces. Sounds yummy, but almost every Saturday at closing time, dad would box one of the unsold tortons to bring home. We grew sick of this too. We had to finish it in a couple of days and were forced to eat all of the sickly goopy cake. I know it sounds ungrateful, but you can have too much of a good thing, and unlike the haslett you could not disguise in a curry, or in beans.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2021, 12:22:40 pm »

Morrisons have Haslett, or did on Saturday.

My pet hates where and are: Connieonie(sp), tinned pears and mangoes, cow heel, oxtail (not the soup) fatty lamb,  cheese pie (see Previous) Damsons.

That will do for a start.

LB

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2021, 12:27:53 pm »

Ahah......orange juice........in maybe 1959 [5th Class at Primary school]...end of year excursion 55 miles by coach from Wollongong to Sydney

1. before lunch.....the Museum of Technology in Harris Street Sydney
2. after lunch...a guided tour on the P&O Liner Orsova at the International Terminal...we had English biscuits and a small steel can of Califorianian  American Orange juice......not Orange cordial syrup, but real Orange juice  :P ......I don't believe we had real Orange juice in cans or bottles in Australia at that time....[or any fresh Orange juice that we could afford]
3. in the evening we went to the ABC Television studio at Sydney's Gore Hill to be in the audience to a televised live Quiz Show

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2021, 01:34:54 pm »

Has anyone mentioned snoek (snook) ?   A fish import from South Africa which the Government thought it would help to bolster the shortage of protein . Stuff was so disgusting nobody would buy it, even the cat would not touch it.

http://www.recipespastandpresent.org.uk/wartime/snoek-snook/
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2021, 02:04:30 pm »

I was as a child sent daily to an OPEN AIR SCHOOL, used to be collect by a Salford green bus and taken to those who know the area as 'Irlam of t Heights', the school was one big long corridor with rooms off to one side, the diner hall at one end and the rooms all looked onto the grounds where the activity kit in the grounds were cut up tree trunks, I was given the spoon full of molases about 10-11 each day so remember that in the post mentioned earlier - ahh those were the days, waiting for the bus in the dense pea souper fog.  >>:-(
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.