Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Shipways Steam Picket  (Read 1615 times)

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
Model Shipways Steam Picket
« on: January 15, 2021, 09:20:36 pm »

I was wondering if any one here had motorised the Model Shipways kit of the Steam Picket. I've searched the best I could but can't find anything.
I'm talking electric drive here.
The kit comes with a built up facsimilie of a steam engine that does rotate if built correctly.
I'm thinking that the motor could be mounted under the boiler with the shaft running through the steam engine to the prop, if there is not enough room in the rear compartment of the hull for a motor.

https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-USN-PICKET-BOAT-1-124-SCALE_p_998.html

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Model Shipways Steam Picket
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 10:08:50 am »

Hi 785,
Have you got the kit yet? The reason I ask is that I've built a similar boat for radio at a larger scale (do a search for New pointy thing to see) and it's fine BUT at a smaller scale you'll find that it can suffer from stability problems.
Looking at the downloaded pdf instructions, it's solidly built which will add to the problems of access as well unless you can cut away/shave some weight.
That said, if you can get the weight right it could be a decent challenge :-))

Whatever you do, it'll look good I'm sure!
Cheers and Keep Safe

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 08:28:29 pm »

Hi Tony.
I just looked at your New Pointy Thing thread. Nice!!
I don't have the kit yet but it has been ordered and is on the way. So I thought I'd ask the question. I'll have to wait to see the space available when it arrives.
As for narrow beam boats and balance, I have just recently completed a Sub Chaser in which a I had to lay some lead wheel weights inside along each side of the keel to lower the boat into the water some more. I had to raise the waterline a bit because of the extra weight. Still heels over in a medium cross wind. But looks good in my eyes.
Hopefully the Picket might be better because of no superstructure to catch the wind.

Here's the Sub Chaser in a bit of a breeze. Also my avatar

Cheers.
Paul.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 10:35:36 am »

Hi Paul,
Where would life be without a challenge? %)
Very nice Chaser and thanks for the warning. I'm due to pick up a kit for one from Stan when I can get from the south of England to the North so I'll watch my weight!
Cheers
Tony

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 07:11:10 am »

Hi Tony.
Challenges are a good way to keep the mind active.
If the kit you are going to pick up is the Dumas one, that is the one that I built.
Here is a bit of a thread on it over on R/C Groups. I wasn't a Mayhemer back then. It may hold some interest for you.
Be sure to wade through the Subchaser Archives link in post #21. There are some brilliant photos & terrific information in there. Both of the full size boats and some models.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3514319-Sub-Chaser
Cheers.
Paul.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 09:34:39 am »

Hi Paul,
I've been trying to find the details of the Chaser I'm buying from Stan because we should have completed the purchase about a year ago but things sort of got in the way and I've forgotten which kit it is :embarrassed: and therefore what scale it is {:-{ . I know it's the WW2 version like this and full size is 173ft but.....................................????
Tony

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 05:57:51 pm »

A totally different kettle of fish then Tony, as mine is the original WWI 110' version.
I hope you manage to get out for a drive soon to go and get the kit.
It will be a good build for you, and for us to watch.

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 09:08:03 pm »

Well the kit arrived the other day. The 400 size motor won't fit under the rear deck because of the keel & bulkheads.
So I built up the boiler to see if the motor would fit inside it. It will be a tight squeeze, but it might work.
Maybe there's a smaller motor/gearbox with enough power to push this little boat. The prop that comes with the kit is a 40mm 3 blade.
Anyone have any ideas?
Cheers.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 09:50:08 am »

Hi Paul,
This is the geared 385 motor widely available. It might just go and the output shaft would be low down as well.You could probably make your own version as well.
Good Luck
Tony

785boats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 05:42:43 pm »

Thanks Tony. But that gearbox is 10mm bigger than the 400 size motor that I have & might not fit in the boiler.
I'm thinking of going with a little 22mm outrunner of around 700kv on 2s lipo. That will fit easily.
Paul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.