Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: V4 FlashSteam Engine  (Read 1044 times)

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
V4 FlashSteam Engine
« on: January 16, 2021, 01:34:46 pm »

The engine was made by the late Arthur Cockman of the Victoria Model Steamboat Club in the mid 60's and is fitted into a 5ft straight running boat. Arthur was a major figure in the 30's and 40's with his "IFIT" series of flash steam tethered hydroplanes, in 1935 his best speed was 35 mph which was a record at the time. In the early 1950's saw him build "IFIT 9 wit the ran until the early 60's when he stripped the engine to use the pumps on the V4. After Arthurs death in the late 90's his boats sat for a while in the boat museum at Pitsea, when thils closed the boats were auctioned and I was luck to get my paws on "Guinevere" which the plant is installed. I ran there boat for a couple of seasons until the oil pump for the steam cylinder oil failed and I ended up with a  seized engine. Stripped down for a rebuild it has sat in bits for the last 2 years until I finally got around to rebuilding it. The water, oil and fuel pumps have been removed and are now refitted to "IFIT 9" which a friend of mine has managed to get hold of. I have made a new oil pump and I am working on the fuel and water pumps which are run from the eccentric which drives the oil pump. The 2 containers on the front of the engine are for oil, 1 for the wet sump and the other supplies oil too the main front bearings via an impeller pump in the crankcase though oil ways machined into the sump and engine block. Now all I have to do is reunite with the rest of the plant, I re did the flash coil years ago after the original steel one failed. the new one is 12ft of 316 stainless steel.....and if you like a challenge you should try winding it  %%

Steamed up all the time

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: V4 FlashSteam Engine
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 01:35:26 pm »

Some more pics
Steamed up all the time

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 02:58:33 pm »

That looks like a great engine - its one of those things that's just nice to own I would imagine.

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 06:23:49 pm »

Good evening Pjil!
Here is an interessant subject to follow. :-)) 
Is the engine 4 cylinder - single effect ? And how many cc's ?
I wish that you give us a maximum of informations and a photo of the boat.
Have you coiled 3/16 diameter stainless or "316" a reference?
Kind regards.

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 08:17:14 pm »

Wow, Phil that is a real treasure, can't wait to hear and see that that running it should be truly awesome.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 08:42:08 pm »

A little more details for you, yes indeed it is a 4 cylinders single acting approx 5/8 bore  x 5/8 stroke (2.5 cc each) with piston valves, and it self starts. The flash coil is 1/4 inch dia with 3/16 bore and 316 grade stainless steel. More pictures of progress as I put it all together
And the boat it all fits into...

Steamed up all the time

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 11:00:06 pm »

Bonjour Phil,
Your boat seems very fast, any idea of her speed ? I can't wait to see a video of her navigation  :-))
Which autonomy would you expect ?
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 09:58:29 am »

Very interesting engine. Please do a video of it (and the boat) running if you have time.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 02:02:47 pm »

Ok today I have started to dry fit it all together (no casing yet). The main difference from the original which had both hand and mechanical pumps for the fuel and water, I will be fitting electric motors ( eeeekkk I hear the purists say) but by doing that I will be able to control the water and fuel feed speed by using 2 servo morphs from Action Electronics. Remember this boat boat is for free running so once it is set and released I will have no control  %% . We also have a 12 MPH speed limit for our straight running regatta's so as long as I can keep it around 15 MPH I will be happy  :-)) . I will of course do a video as soon as I have the plant together.
Steamed up all the time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.