Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D Benchy 'Dreadnought Benchy'  (Read 4931 times)

MirabileVisu

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: 3D Benchy 'Dreadnought Benchy'
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2022, 01:10:13 pm »

If this photograph doesn't go, I give up.

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2022, 07:23:50 pm »

MirabileVisu - I've had similar issues with pictures here, so no problems. 

Benchy update -
Over a month ago I ordered a u-joint for Benchy.  About a week later I got an e-mail while at work, telling me that my order had been delivered.  When I got home I found that an order had indeed been delivered, it just wasn't MY order.  I replied to the e-mail that I got from the shipping department, informing them that while an order had been delivered, but it wasn't MY order - not even close.  The company also had a "contact us" tab on their web-site, so I doubled down and also sent a similar message to that address.  I got no reply from either e-mail, so a week later I sent another e-mail to the "contact us" address - again no reply.  I even went so far as to order another u-joint - from a different supplier. (It's from overseas, and still in transit.)

I was about ready to write off my loses when Thursday I got another e-mail from the shipping department telling me that they had been informed that I had received a miss-shipment and was this correct?  They were curious, as they had not been contacted about any problems.  I was a little bit "miffed" by this no contact remark, and sent them a rather Snarky reply, including a copy of the original e-mail to them, the dates of the additional attempts at contact, and the statement that I was just about ready to write off my loses - and remember to NEVER order anything from them again when I got this e-mail.  I also told them that I'd hold off on the never ordering from them again decision - pending the results of this e-mail.

Funniest thing, 2 days later I got my u-joint - guess it's true, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. 

I haven't done much more on Benchy, between yard-work, work-work, and just being plain lazy when I get home from work I haven't felt much like working on him.  The u-joint was about my last legitimate excuse though...  Guess it's time to get off my lazy butt, get him completely built, get some paint on Dreadnought Benchy, and get him in the water.

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2022, 06:36:21 pm »

I got a little more work done on Benchy, he's VERY monochromatic right now.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AL9nZEVKZKZhSszhOKzjsybY82_hD974iZdjcKfhDRI9ttURJVQaZZIpA86eabuAlL9U-reWWIIwf8Da0CSVwKERZlHYk6lP0ejipADZs_HaDHif8sf2C8rcRwaTYBo-ihxeEGdrlMWd-69DnHNOWRyBhyLM=w640-h480-no?authuser=0
Apparently he didn't get the memo that the Great White Fleet sailed YEARS ago.  This is just the primer, the various greys, blacks, and other colors will soon follow.

Don

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2022, 04:35:02 pm »

Benchy's getting a proper nameplate for his transom.

It's in white primer right now, but I couldn't resist seeing what the letters would look like.  It needs a little touchup with flat white around the edges, SOMEBODY tried hand sanding a couple of the more stubborn letters.  The highlighter is there for scale.

Don

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2022, 06:38:31 pm »

A sneak peek, before Benchy's completely grown his teeth.

The black outline around the top of the mouth is next on the hit parade, along with the black below the waterline.  The grey areas that you can see will also be painted black.  The black that you see through the anchor ports is the inside of the bulwork.  When everything is assembled what you should see through those ports is the grey of the pilot-house, or the turret.

Benchy is starting to need his Kodachrome!

Don

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2022, 06:58:18 pm »

Benchy is mostly painted and assembled, no pictures yet so I guess that didn't happen.

BUT...  Mario definitely needs his Kodachrome.

When I get home, if I remember it and before it gets dark outside, I'll try to take Benchy outside and get some pictures.  He's got at least a 6 foot finish - maybe even a 10 foot finish.  For those of you that don't know what a 6 foot finish is, if you're farther than 6 feet away from it, about 2 meters, it looks good.  If you get closer, you start to see the flaws.  If I go outside I can stay 6 feet away, so the paint job should look good.

Don

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2022, 07:24:52 pm »

OK, the pictures didn't take as long to re-size as I thought they would.  Of course the fact that I could only use 2 of them might have had something to do with that (SOMEBODY shakes too damned much and only 2 of the pictures were usable.)

This is more or less a side view.  The "smart" seagulls know that the aft turret is hidden from Fire Control's wrath by the radome for the Search radar - so that's where it's safe to perch.  Of course if Fire Control turns the Search radar on -  roast seagull just MIGHT be the Cook's menu for dinner.  The NOT so "smart" seagull lands on the forward turret where Fire Control can do their best to repel all boarders.

I assumed that where the curves changed direction in the 3D print was where the waterline was supposed to be.  So Benchy's visible teeth start there and I will ballast the boat to that level - that level is about 1 inch below the scuppers.  At least I hope I will have to ballast the boat to get to that level.  The designer said he had to add over 1Kg of ballast and I think he had his boat sitting higher in the water than where I plan to have mine.  I haven't installed the drive-line yet so Benchy still isn't quite water-tight.

Don
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.