Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hidden bow thruster  (Read 1274 times)

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
Hidden bow thruster
« on: January 21, 2021, 03:56:21 am »

Hi all I am looking at my 1946 era Melinda lll tug 1.24 Scale and now plan to assist her when trying to dock,she is a single right hand screw being her  only operation.So I came up with the idea of a  hidden  bow thruster up inside the bow ,this would then drop down to a depth of 150 mm below the hull and then be operated both port and sub to assist her docking then would rise back into the hull.Extra hull plating would hide the thruster so you can't see it.
Inside the hull would be a glassed in water tight area were the thruster would hide a servo or a drive unit would raise or lower the complete bow thruster unit due to her large scale 1,24 I have plenty of room to do this .
Looking at a good size thruster as well.Any ideas how to get the bow thruster to lower and raise looking at servo to push pull up down
.Open to all thoughts about this as I am still in the planning stages so to speak. Metinda lll is a big model so after a big thruster for this feature. Was well really need the brain trust to assist me so all input greatly appreciated Tassie48

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Hidden bow thruster
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 09:21:13 am »

use a reversable windsceen wiper pump. intake one side through pump outvthe other. same for reverse.can be disguised with a grill over it.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 09:27:59 am »

https://lutonmodelboat.co.uk/frame_magazine.html
look at Autumn 2014 for another home made type bow thruster
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 11:21:18 am »

tassie48,
          The use of small water pumps, usually auto windscreen washer pumps, to act as discrete "bow thrusters" is something I have used since 1978.  It wont spin the model around but gives a gentle sideways push that is usually good enough for gentle maneuvers.  The small inlet/outlet holes in the hull sides are not too obvious, which can matter for scale models that didn't feature such things.
This idea was fully described in the January 2019 issue of the "Model Boats" magazine.
Glynn Guest

tassie48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 05:34:22 pm »

Great ideas guys will look into it either way it will help turn this old girl around a bit better than just a single screw thanks for the input and p.m. looking at another way to assist her turning just need to make the model period 1946 era hence hiding the thruster again many thanks tassie48

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 05:49:01 pm »

As Glynn says, thrusters are really only effective when the model is stopped or almost so. It's the same with full size vessels.

Colin

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 09:41:32 pm »

Dropping bow thruster is a bit of work.
 O0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YvkQa0kVnY

tassie48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 10:21:12 pm »

That's unreal last thing I would have thought about many thanks umi_ryuzuki good food for thought wow the brains trust is going great guns thanks guys tassie48

RST

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 03:35:13 am »

I would back up Glynn Guests suggestion to use a pump.  I used the same pump in his pic (about £5 from motor factors, or if you must -the exact same thing with a robbe or graupner sticker at £20+).

Umi_Ryuzuki isn't there  a thread over on RC groups for a retracting thruster for those of us looking for a challenge / make life harder?  I read it all but can't search it and RCgroups seems only to keeep 4 pages of listings, which seems pretty short for a forum?

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 04:41:57 am »

I may have started a thread regarding this retractable thruster, but I have only just gotten it installed in the hull.
Other things have kept me busy, and I haven't been relaxed, or bored enough to get back on task regarding the
thruster or the model ship.
 %)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.