Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CliveJ paint dilemma  (Read 1203 times)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
CliveJ paint dilemma
« on: January 23, 2021, 08:09:09 pm »

I know you may think this belong in the paint section but I feel It would be good in this section also. The question asked was can I use Halfords varnish over Humbrol enamel. With this mind I decided to do some test trips so are are my findings. Please note all these test strips were allowed to dry for 4 days meaning all the solvents in the paints had dried thoroughly. The golden rule still remains if you are not sure do a test strip hope this helps.  The first question on this subject can be found in the paint section

Strip one white Halfords primer overpainted with Humbrol Enamel then Halfords matt varnish applied  the enamel suffered crazing  giving a textured finish when dry.

Strip two Halfords white primer  overpainted with Tamiya Acrylic then Halfords  matt varnish  No reaction at all paint nice and smooth.

Strip three Halfords red primer varnished using Humbrol Clear cote enamel varnish no reaction in paint finish.

Strip Four Halfords white primer overpainted with Tamiya Acrylic paints then vanished using  Humbrol clear cote enamel varnish no paint reaction.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: CliveJ paint dilemma
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 08:27:08 pm »

I have been experimenting similarly.

Halfords matt and satin enamel lacquers are really good but they cannot be applied over Humbrol without causing glazing and crinkling. However they can be applied to acrylic paints such as Tamiya, Revell and Vallejo without problems.

The Halfords automotive clear coat lacquer (gloss) is a bit different and can be more aggressive and is best applied over Halfords standard paints. It is intended as a finish to their metallic and pearlescent colours and should be used for that only.

If you want a pure white finish then use Halfords Appliance White. You can use the matt and satin enamel lacquers to tone down the gloss if necessary.

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 10:17:49 pm »

The decks of my Ferry are red Oxide. This was spray painted (Hycoat). I have mixed up a Paint using Mig red and there red oxide. Using a test sheet to match the mig paint to the hycoat. Then this was over sprayed with Hycoat lacqure. No problems. The mig had 20 min in front of the fire to dry.
I have fond Hycoat Lacqure is fine on Mig , Tamiya ,Humbrol acrylic .
Best thing is test first.

John

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 10:31:18 pm »

Hi John the Hycote brand I suspect is made by the same company that make paints for  Halfords so the formulation may be the same.

Stan

CliveJ

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 07:49:46 am »

A big thank you to Stan for this  :-)) :-))   :-) :-)

With all the great boats I see finished in such detail, naively, I believed that lacquers were inert and would just 'seal' any paint ! seems finishing needs as much planning as building !!

Thanks again Stan for your research/testing saved me a lot of time

Cheers Clive  :-))

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 10:29:48 am »

Last time I got paint mixed at Halfords, the tins were marked Holts.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 10:31:59 am »

Hi John the Hycote brand I suspect is made by the same company that make paints for  Halfords so the formulation may be the same.

Stan

Hycoat is made by James Briggs limted

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.