Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XOD, anyone?  (Read 1318 times)

KaMeWa

• Shipmate
XOD, anyone?
« on: January 27, 2021, 12:05:01 am »

After many years of considering, got my first Arduino few weeks ago and have been tinkering and testing things daily.

Hardware isnīt much of a problem, but coding was the thing which worried me the most, learning curve seemed quite steep. But then I came across XOD: https://xod.io/
Itīs a visual programming enviroment, where the code is made by connecting different nodes together and giving them values as necessary.  Been using it now for a week and must say I am quite impressed. Itīs still very much in developement, but is very user-friendly, and makes many things much easier to understand, than just wwritten code.

Has anyone else here used it? Would be nice to share some ideas....

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: XOD, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 11:38:02 am »

Hi KaMeWa,

I had a quick look at XOD - very clever, the time invested to make such a "pretty" interface whilst servicing the code under the hood is admirable

Are you thinking of developing some model boat related applications?

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

KaMeWa

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 06:39:54 pm »

Are you thinking of developing some model boat related applications?
Yep - in the past weeks Iīve been developing (and also learning....!) this and that. Sound generator as a bigger project,and some automated servo and stepper motor controls, and lighting stuff. Still much in testing and developement stage.

One of the main problems seems to be servo jitter - which seems to be quite common issue in Arduino world. However, it only happens when inputing signal from receiver and using the value of it for servo control more or less directly. Thereīs no jitter what so ever when controlling servos with a value generated by a program. With mainly auxilary functions in my mind, I might be able to live with the situation, though.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 07:18:45 pm »

Yep - in the past weeks Iīve been developing (and also learning....!) this and that. Sound generator as a bigger project,and some automated servo and stepper motor controls, and lighting stuff. Still much in testing and developement stage.

One of the main problems seems to be servo jitter - which seems to be quite common issue in Arduino world. However, it only happens when inputing signal from receiver and using the value of it for servo control more or less directly. Thereīs no jitter what so ever when controlling servos with a value generated by a program. With mainly auxilary functions in my mind, I might be able to live with the situation, though.
Sounds like the Arduino does perfect control, and is probably responding as accurately as it can to a slightly imperfect signal from the radio.  I left actively messing with electronics a long time ago, but keep remembering bits.  One of them was having to find a way to calm down input circuits either by a bit of hardware or a bit of extra code to ignore things like (giving the era away) contact bounce.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 07:34:35 pm »

Hi XOD,

There is most likely a simply issue at play - timer accuracy

The micros() function is only accurate to 5us and I would place a sizeable bet that when you read in the RC signal from the RC Receiver you will see the values increment in steps of 5us.

Even when no sticks are moved on the RC handset the ouput from the Arduino will jump about +/- 5us - enough to upset a servo.

This is then manifested in servo jitter

Depending on the code being used to read the RC signal that in itself could be the culprit - interuppts vs. pulseIn()

You need to increase the accuracy of the timer function

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.