Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit Nederland  (Read 1526 times)

jsdcs07

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Smit Nederland
« on: February 01, 2021, 11:41:44 am »

Hi, new here so hope i am posting in the right place. Bit of background, I have always been in to RC! building Tamiya cars from when I was young, to now having a lot of fun with a Traxxas TRX4.
Also spent the last few years model car racing with Xray t4.  (however, with lockdown and lack of racing and long days when we do race I no longer have love for this)
So Last year I joined a local boating club. At the time I had (and still do) a traxxas villain ex about 15-year-old to me! this is a beast, will deal with anything you can throw at it including Bournemouth sea! (lot of fun jumping waves). But last year I got hold of a scale model boat (not sure on model make, sure someone will know on here) tyne tug, Pic Attached. this is huge at 51inch long. Really enjoyed sailing this and doing extras to her. So I got the bug and really wanted to build something from scratch. I started with a "Krick Najade Motor Yacht" with lockdown this took about a month to build and almost completed. Had so much enjoyment out of this I was looking for something a little bit more challenging.
This brings me to the Smit Nederland. Wow this is a challenge!
Work started this weekend after lots of reading and planning. The instructions are a little bleak, I’m starting to see them more as guide lines to follow.
So far, I have trimmed the hull roughly and started to fit the motors prop, rudders, see pic's. So i am after guidance / help and suggestions with this build please.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Smit Nederland
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 12:46:47 pm »

That is the Northsider or the Ironsider, there are sight differences between them. nemesis

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 08:28:19 pm »

You have the Kort nozzles on the wrong sides, the horizontal section should be inwards and glues to the keel for support. If it is not too late you might want to replace the prop shafts with proper steel ones. A brass shaft running in a brass bearing will tend to wear the shaft and give leaks while running. This happened to mine (original shafts were chrome plated brass) although it had taken part in a couple of 24 hr sponsored runs. I haven't seen an up to date kit but the originals used a very open grained wood for the deck and superstructure parts.This would have meant a lot of grain filling and sealing to give a smooth surface so I covered the wood deck with styrene sheet and used the wood parts to cut styrene as replacement for the superstructure. I also found it easier to use styrene sheet for the bulwarks as this was much easier to bend round the bow and stern.As designed there is a large one piece deck hatch. I split this in two, the rearward section could be screwed down in place as it was only needed for access for maintenance of the motors and radio. The superstructure was made to fit over the front of the hatch and could be removed for access to the battery (at the time a 7.2V 4Ah Nicad made up from 6 D cells, this would give around 2 hours running at cruising speed)
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

jsdcs07

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:24:35 am »

You have the Kort nozzles on the wrong sides, the horizontal section should be inwards and glues to the keel for support. If it is not too late you might want to replace the prop shafts with proper steel ones. A brass shaft running in a brass bearing will tend to wear the shaft and give leaks while running. This happened to mine (original shafts were chrome plated brass) although it had taken part in a couple of 24 hr sponsored runs. I haven't seen an up to date kit but the originals used a very open grained wood for the deck and superstructure parts.This would have meant a lot of grain filling and sealing to give a smooth surface so I covered the wood deck with styrene sheet and used the wood parts to cut styrene as replacement for the superstructure. I also found it easier to use styrene sheet for the bulwarks as this was much easier to bend round the bow and stern.As designed there is a large one piece deck hatch. I split this in two, the rearward section could be screwed down in place as it was only needed for access for maintenance of the motors and radio. The superstructure was made to fit over the front of the hatch and could be removed for access to the battery (at the time a 7.2V 4Ah Nicad made up from 6 D cells, this would give around 2 hours running at cruising speed)
Jim

Hi thank you for your information.

As it is at the min, nothing is glued, I have just dried fitted it all up (so can see if it all lines up and correct any mistakes).

You say the Kort nozzles on the wrong side?
Could not see a left or right, but think it could be a pic illusion, as I have not cut the out fin off yet. my photo skill are not the best and is a bit dark,
but both horizontal section are inward to the keel. however I could be making a mistake and not understand where I have gone wrong.
Which is why I have come here for help and guidance ;-).

Steel prop will loo
k into today, would be a totally pain to remove once glued in. thank you for the recommendation.

The Deck and superstructure are something on my mind how i will get a good finish and water seal them. the wood grain seem to me smooth, was hoping could just paint them for a good finish.

thank you.

jsdcs07

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 11:57:07 am »

Should the ABS hull be filled with a filler / fiberglass / epoxy? or just left as is? if so, would should i use?

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 09:01:47 am »

A new one..!  O0  Welcome!
I think I have made all the possible mistakes. You are welcome to check them out:
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53761.0.html
My work progresses slowly - yes starting early 2016.

I did attempt to fill the imperfections of the hull and used something you don’t want to repeat  :embarrassed: . There must exist a filler that is perfect for dents and larger areas of problem. On the other hand the need to fill depends on what stage of the vessel life span you plan to simulate; new out of the warf, or used after over 40 years of service.

I have received some comments about the stern of the Billings S.N. being ”like a plastic bag” and vibrating by the vibration of the motors and especially any imperfections in the alignment of the whole driveline. One of my early running trials made the whole stern shake like crazy and I was afraid the whole build was going to fall apart. I made a clumsy attempt to fiberglass the inside to make it more robust and it may be a good idea for you to do just that - only properly. Now that your hull is still wide open. (After fiberglassing and realignment, I don’t have  shakes anymore).

Glueing anything against ABS requires a glue that adheres to ABS. Glues seem to be different in different markets, but what it’s worth, I used a two component ”Bison” polyurethan glue. I love it and use it elsewhere, too. It does not dry glass-like hard, but ever so flexible to negotiate any shocks. The deck against ABS hull has already taken some hits with no problem. I recieved mixed messages concerning epoxy on ABS. 180 degrees different.

I agree with JimG about the quality of the plywood. My kit is ancient and it may be that the quality has improved since. I have stubbornly used plywood everywhere - and it shows. In future, I will teach myself the art of plasticard modelling. So far, I tried it simulating the covering plates of the fenders, and lately, on the wheel house door frames. And looking at the work of the likes of JimG, Taranis, Chipchase and many many more, makes me want plasticard for correcting, or evading, many of my setbacks, which are mostly due to my lack of skill to work plywood. Of course, it’s an illusion: I would have eqally little skills for working plasticard, too.

And thank you, JimG, for reminding me about the problems of brass prop-shaft (not props)! I have been meaning to switch them to steel ones.

Think about the props for a while and find the discussion in my blog (Derekwarner, reply #11). I decided I can afford kort props. Although judging by the price, they could have been made of 18kt gold... :o

Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

jsdcs07

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 01:47:09 pm »

Hi Hande,

Yes I been looking at your post and getting ideas.

Well going for a New ish look. I hope. but will see how things go.

The shaking with motors on will have to see how it goes and then like you make it stonger, but thanks you on the heads up.

also looking at steal prop shafts as well. after JimG Comments.

Any other mistakes comming and should be away of? Also JimG said i had the Knot Nozzel on wrong? How or what would i need to do to correct?

thank you

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 03:12:55 pm »

Also JimG said i had the Knot Nozzel on wrong? How or what would i need to do to correct?

J
As Jim said the horizontal fin should face inward and be glued to the keel for strength.
Don't Assume Check

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 03:27:08 pm »

Mind you, the Kort nozzles that came with my kit, like is the case here, too, had TWO horizontal ”fins”.
Shave the extra one off each one - making sure you end up with two mirror images, the horizontal ”fins” facing the keel. I can see in the picture the other ”fins” touching the keel quite correctly.
The instructions also suggest you pin - or even screw them to the keel. I couldn’t figure out, how that could be attained, so I just used glue. Now I cannot sleep, fearing that the nozzles will fall off during the maiden voyage-to-come..
Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

jsdcs07

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 03:41:13 pm »

that the plan to shave off the extra one. as then would look like it should! I took a bit of time and sanded / shaved the fins touching the keel might need a bit more time on it to get right. I have also see in the instruction should be pinned. but can not figuar out which part or how! so going with glue and milliput to add strength.

You not the only one! i just started, and having sleepless night all ready about bits falling off on her maiden voyage!!!!

Spent last night with a cold beer, and number (in pencil) all the wooden parts very lightly to try and make my life easer! just got a load of brass bit and some random woods wrapped up to find out where there for now?!!?
thanks J
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.